lightweight packs

B

bearguide

the go lite jam 70l above looks good to me, but no where for spotters bow tripod etc

slim9300

WKR
Luke

guess I should have clarified a bit on money issue... as you noted I don't mind spending the cash on packs (my wife may actually tell you i have issues :) ) but I don't want to put down $600 for a pack i cannot try out first.

I was hoping that a few other pack companies would follow the Kifaru lead this year but so far all i see is the same old same old for hunting packs.

My ideal pack would be:

Versatility of the eberlestock Blue Widow
Quietness of the eberlestock
Comfort of the KUIU
Meat carrying cell like the KUIU
Durability of the Mystery Ranch
Price of the GOlite :)

Oh to dream

Have you carried 70+ lbs. in your Kuiu? I owned the Icon 6000 for all of 60 days. It's a horrible pack if you have a short torso (mine is actually 21") or if you plan on carrying over 50 lbs. The frame on the Icon is a failure and a HUGE liability when you are relying on your pack to "keep you alive."

For the record I love all of the Kuiu clothing and my old man loves his Icon 6000 but he had been eyeballing my Timberline. =)

OP
M

Mike P

FNG
icon

Have you carried 70+ lbs. in your Kuiu? I owned the Icon 6000 for all of 60 days. It's a horrible pack if you have a short torso (mine is actually 21") or if you plan on carrying over 50 lbs. The frame on the Icon is a failure and a HUGE liability when you are relying on your pack to "keep you alive."

For the record I love all of the Kuiu clothing and my old man loves his Icon 6000 but he had been eyeballing my Timberline. =)

Slim,

I had the Icon all of last year as well and used it to carry out 2 moose, 1 elk and help some friends pack a large camp into a basin and can honestly say that it was the most comfortable pack I have used. I have used Eberlestock, MR, Badlands, Bolle, Gregory, Blacks Creek, Freighter Frame and probably some i have forgotten and the KUIU so far is the best one. Nothing shifts or moves in the pack and the pivoting hip belt worked great even with heavy loads which surprised me as I thought it would be a detriment with heavier loads.

The problem with packs is they are like cars and women...everyone has one they like better than the rest :)

slim9300

WKR
Slim,

I had the Icon all of last year as well and used it to carry out 2 moose, 1 elk and help some friends pack a large camp into a basin and can honestly say that it was the most comfortable pack I have used. I have used Eberlestock, MR, Badlands, Bolle, Gregory, Blacks Creek, Freighter Frame and probably some i have forgotten and the KUIU so far is the best one. Nothing shifts or moves in the pack and the pivoting hip belt worked great even with heavy loads which surprised me as I thought it would be a detriment with heavier loads.

The problem with packs is they are like cars and women...everyone has one they like better than the rest :)

You are certainly right about that. But I am truly surprised by your experience with the pack. I am glad to hear that the pack is comfortable for you. You clearly carried a lot of heavy loads.

The first Icon frame I received had a seized allen bolt that resulted in the carbon adjustment channel "blowing out" when I tried to loosen it. The second one was the wrong pack (Icon 3000). With the third and final Icon pack, the lower carbon "legs" on the frame dug through the waist/hip belt (with a heavy load) and created horrible hot spots on my hips. I gave the pack to a friend to try and he had the same experience. I even tried my dad's Icon 6000 and the same thing happened. I loved the bag but the frame seems like a liability to me even if it was comfortable. I know of someone that broke three frames last year but it's not my business to go into that any further. I feel like Kuiu needs to either completely redesign the frame, or reinforce it with some kind of a wood layer to make it stronger and more rigid. But that's just my .02.

I will say that Kuiu makes the best hunting clothes on earth. =)

Good luck this year!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I agree with slim on the Icon. I borrowed one and did a few training hikes last year. Nothing huge 45 pound plate 2-4 mile loops and it rubbed against my hips bad. I think this is the only Kuiu product that I don't like!

cmeier117

WKR
Kifaru, Horn Hunter, REI, Mystery Ranch, Oregon Pack Works, Tenzing, You can't go wrong with any pack that fits you.

Have you tried all these packs? Because I have tried the Oregon pack works pack and it is without a doubt the worst pack I have tried! Then you add the price and it makes it worse. Just. Curious if you have used the pack that's all?

dotman

WKR
Since this thread is titled "lightweight" i'm going to have to say there is only one pack that qualifies, kifaru ku line :)

OP
M

Mike P

FNG
specs

Under specs it says its ideal usage is 30-50lbs.

thats true but that is what its "ideal load" is :)

Its the same frame as the Dragon Slayer and guys are packing big loads with them all the time. I talked to Seacat about the pack last year and he said it would do the trick for what i want to do.

If i can carry a pack half the weight of what i normally do and still pack out a good first load them its all the better.

tri2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at the Tenzing packs. Seems like it will meet a good balance for backcountry hunting and price. Anybody have much feedback on these packs?
Thanks

Ku3700

Older thread, but UPS delivered my KU3700 three days ago. Was skeptical about ordering without seeing one in person (had tried to meet Aron here in Denver in order to try on a few packs but could not make it work). I ordered the pack on faith along with a belt pouch and two long pockets.

Anyway, the empty pack looks flimsy but I've had it outside twice on a 6 miler and a 4 miler in and around the Ken Caryl area (good hills). Loaded with all my regular gear plus a couple large water bladders (approx. 45 pounds total) the pack is very comfortable. (My total base load for Archery season will be around 20 pounds.)

The waist belt, lumbar pad and pack stays seem to fit my back perfectly. I have no doubt the pack will carry a respectable load of meat too. Best fit I've ever had in a pack and I've had a few (issued Alice packs, Kelty pack, Dana Design pack, Jansport, Osprey).

Now if my tipi will just arrive in time for the Archery hunt.

kaboku68

WKR
There have been packs in the past that have passed the super light weight hauler threshold. They haven't been as popular as others.
I have been looking for a Kelty Cloud 6500. They actually carried better weight more than most ultralight packs. They were made of Spectra and had
6500 cu in carrying capacity with 2lbs 8oz weight but they sold for north of $750 ten years ago. They have spectra stitching so in many ways most of those that were made are still in circulation.

The other pack that has been largely dismissed but can be found on sales is the Lowe Expedition TFS 75+15. This is a remodeled Contour IV that uses
dyneema grid cloth. It has a carrying capacity of 5800 cu and a weight of 4lbs 13 oz. However, you start lightening it up and cutting extra straps and change the
overfill top bag you can cut down its weight to 4lbs 6oz for a large. You can find them for about 150 on several different sites.

Just my view.

Thomas

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
Thomas thanks for bringing those Kelty packs to my attention, I had not heard of them till you posted about them. Have you tried one before or known anyone that as? Curious how they handle heavy loads.