Running Heavy Rifles for a Reason

IDVortex

WKR
It's logical to use a heavier rifle, if you can't kill the animal with the bullet, you can st least toss the rifle at it and the heavier rifle will have better energy then say a lighter one.

Serious note. šŸ˜‚
My 6.5 is right about 8ish pounds. I'll be weighing it once I get my can on it.

If I ever get myself a 7PRC or a 300winny, I don't want it over 10 pounds. I like the idea of a heavier rifle due to lesser recoil, etc. But, I also would take a bit lighter rig to be able to hump ridges if I need to. I doubt I'll ever have a gun over 10 pounds, unless I get like a .338.

For my purposes which is primarily Southeastern Whitetails from climbing stands I like my rifle at 8-9lbs.
I dont have to walk far with it or carry it on a pack. I want it to be heavy enough to be stable on a shooting rail but light enough for an old guy to be able to swing it around and hold it if I want to make a shot off the rail.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
It's logical to use a heavier rifle, if you can't kill the animal with the bullet, you can st least toss the rifle at it and the heavier rifle will have better energy then say a lighter one.

Serious note. šŸ˜‚
My 6.5 is right about 8ish pounds. I'll be weighing it once I get my can on it.

If I ever get myself a 7PRC or a 300winny, I don't want it over 10 pounds. I like the idea of a heavier rifle due to lesser recoil, etc. But, I also would take a bit lighter rig to be able to hump ridges if I need to. I doubt I'll ever have a gun over 10 pounds, unless I get like a .338.
I hear you. 10 is probably a good weight for a mid magnum like the PRC. I like the combination of a bit more weight and a good can or brake, when shooting a bit more the recoil is manageable.

I also find that when driving the rifle, the extra weight aids in more consistent recoil travel improving accuracy.

eightyeight mag

Lil-Rokslider
Iā€™m happy right around 9# give or take a few ounces. It also makes a huge difference on how the rifle balances so a 9 or 10 pounder might carry better than something lighter.