Running Heavy Rifles for a Reason

Article 4

WKR
I generally run what would be considered a heavier hunting rifle set up, regardless of caliber. Generally my hunting set ups weight in at about 12.5 to 15 lbs depending on components and furniture. I do this to ensure durability, accuracy, and repeatability. I also believe you get what you pay for and while many lightweight parts do work well, longevity and shootability in adverse conditions is better with more robust rifles.

The 300 NMi below comes in loaded at 13.5 lbs with sling and ammo on board.

What do you run?

Attachments

• IMG_3440.jpg
    IMG_3440.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 118

mt100gr.

WKR
Trails, laps, small engines, large engines, cattle, dogs, etc...🤐

I kid. I kid!

Honestly, I have a variety from a bit over 5lbs shorty Creedmoor to a 13lbs 300WM LR rifle. Typically, for most of my hunting I grab one in the 8-9lbs range. It's a happy medium for me, offering the range I need and plenty stout in stability and components. If I know I'll be running, though, I grab the lightweight!

madcalfe

WKR
13.5lbs mountain gun oooooof. be no way you'd catch me lugging that up a mountain chasing sheep.
Also, a Kahles would not be what I would consider durable. Been there done that…twice…
Anyways my custom sits at 8lbs 4oz with 3 in the mag and 6 spare shells on the stock.

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I generally run what would be considered a heavier hunting rifle set up, regardless of caliber. Generally my hunting set ups weight in at about 12.5 to 15 lbs depending on components and furniture. I do this to ensure durability, accuracy, and repeatability. I also believe you get what you pay for and while many lightweight parts do work well, longevity and shootability in adverse conditions is better with more robust rifles.

The 300 NMi below comes in loaded at 13.5 lbs with sling and ammo on board.

What do you run?
My thinking is that a "happy medium" rifle is the answer.

A 12+ pound rifle might be the one you want making the shot and a 5 pound rifle is the one you want to carry until you get the shot, maybe an 8-9# rifle is the sweet spot.

Being a flatlander, I've not worried a ton about weight but this is how I think about it

EdP

WKR
My interest in how heavy my rifle is depends on whether I am carrying it or it is being carried by a horse. My preference for shooting tends towards a heavier rifle but I'm not a big guy and don't want to tote a 10+lb rifle on foot in the mtns.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
13.5lbs mountain gun oooooof. be no way you'd catch me lugging that up a mountain chasing sheep.
Also, a Kahles would not be what I would consider durable. Been there done that…twice…
Anyways my custom sits at 8lbs 4oz with 3 in the mag and 6 spare shells on the stock.
I hear you for sheep
I live in N Idaho so no stranger to hiking the steep and deep stuff. I carry them regardless everywhere else. Figure losing 3 lbs off my body has better benefits across the board and carrying it help me lose (at least that is what I tell myself when I am looking up a 1500 ft climb) lol

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
Not really a Kahles thread although comment does lead to carrying a heavy rifle.

Horse stumbled while I was dismounting in Montana some years back and I landed on my rifle and scope that was slung behind my back. Super scared hunt was over - after quick visual I verified zero at 100 yards and it was spot on.
Have 7 heavier hunting and tac style rifles, they all have Kahles on them now.

madcalfe

WKR
Not really a Kahles thread although comment does lead to carrying a heavy rifle.

Horse stumbled while I was dismounting in Montana some years back and I landed on my rifle and scope that was slung behind my back. Super scared hunt was over - after quick visual I verified zero at 100 yards and it was spot on.
Have 7 heavier hunting and tac style rifles, they all have Kahles on them now.
well, your luck is better than mine with them.
don't get me wrong I loved the scope. it outperforms my ATACR optically. the turrets always tracked great. But having the internals come apart on one, then the 2nd one wouldnt hold zero after being in the jet boat or on the gun rack on a quad, then the illumination knob coming off left a bad taste in my mouth.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
well, your luck is better than mine with them.
don't get me wrong I loved the scope. it outperforms my ATACR optically. the turrets always tracked great. But having the internals come apart on one, then the 2nd one wouldnt hold zero after being in the jet boat or on the gun rack on a quad, then the illumination knob coming off left a bad taste in my mouth.
Dang yeah. Tough break.