Like some Backcountry Sleeping Pad Suggestions Please!!

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Guys,

I'm a 56 year old backcountry hunter who has never really gotten the sleeping pad thing right. A little background. Unfortunately I'm a side sleeper. Almost every tome without fail my hips and shoulders almost feel bruised by the end of a week of backcountry camping because hips and shoulders are the "hot spots" taking the most weight on the ground. My priorities in a sleeping pad system are 1) Decent comfort - doesn't have to be perfect 2) Lightweight - I usually hike in 4-6 miles 3) Rugged - I don't want to repair air leaks after 5 uses.

I've tried air mattresses in the past and thought I bought some decent quality stuff, but I think the longest I've gone without a leak so far is about 5 nights. I'm about tired of that. I get air mattresses may eventually leak, but 5 nights or less before a leak?? I'm 6'4" and weight 230 in case your wondering if I put too much strain on the air mattress seams.

Love to hear what suggestions you guys have! Thank you!

Rob5589

WKR
6'2", 235, side sleep, roll all night. Used the Exped Ultra 5 this year. Fairy light, good thickness to side sleep, not crinkly.

Agree with @Rob5589 on the Exped Ultra 5. I have a long/wide one and its awesome. No noise and pretty warm. I do like to put a Therma Rest Z Lite Sol (foam pad) underneath when it gets colder and/or I want extra comfort and insulation. Works pretty good. I'm also a side sleeper and have never had any issues with this setup.

The new "Ultra" series isn't really all that new. I talked to their customer service and its mostly a rebranding of their already well known and good matts.

And if you get the Ultra 7R, that's an even warmer pad (perhaps too warm for summer) but its 3 1/2 inches thick and has down insulation in it. Had one but I returned it because it was just too heavy and bulky for my liking. YMMV.

Hoff

FNG
Thermarest Neoair X-therm NXT: good thickness for side sleeper, durable, high R value for sleeping warm in cold weather. Get the 25 inch wide version- sleeping on a twenty inch wide pad is like trying to sleep on a balance beam. For even more ground protection (especially if you are using a floorless shelter) use a ground sheet like Tyvek and add a 1/8 inch foam pad under the pad. Seekoutside, Gossamer Gear, and Mountain Laurel Designs all sell that foam.

Last edited:

JP100

WKR
Used a therma rest for a decade without any issues, probably have 1000 nights on it.

Got a nemo this season(insulated) lasted 2 hunts before a hole haha. Go therma rest.

I would pack a simple foam mat to put under your blow up pad, make them alot warmer, and way more durable

6'1" 230 side sleeper
My brother has big agnes axl, hates it. Shitty valve design and slippery. Buddy has a cheap klymit, doesnt complain but that's just his personality (he doesnt care for it). I've used a sea to summit ultralight and was happy with it, at least until I got a thermarest. I now only use the xtherm. Strongly recommend that pad.

6’3” 260# side sleeper.

I tried neoair, klymit, and a couple of others. Bought a sea to summit ether light a few years back and have hardly used any of my other pads since. 4inches thick. Durable. Reasonably light for the comfort it offers. I can run mine just below fully inflated and still not bottom out. FWIW I use the wide rectangular version and set up my pillow off the pad.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm 6'6" 220 and have used my long wide Xtherm for the last 10 years without any issues. I tried a Big Agnes pad before that and it leaked the first time I used it. I also have an Exped Downmat 9 LW that is much thicker, comfortable, and better for colder temps, but it's also twice the weight.

6’3” 260# side sleeper.

I tried neoair, klymit, and a couple of others. Bought a sea to summit ether light a few years back and have hardly used any of my other pads since. 4inches thick. Durable. Reasonably light for the comfort it offers. I can run mine just below fully inflated and still not bottom out. FWIW I use the wide rectangular version and set up my pillow off the pad.

I have the same build Ill have to try this.

Tick

WKR
Anyone have experience with a Big Agnes Boundary or Zoom? Trying to evaluate if the weight difference correlates to comfort.

I have an Exped Down9, BA qcore and Nemo Tensor and I’m a side sleeper as well. All three will do the job. The BA is by far the loudest of the three and the Exped has the nicest feel. I tend to grab the Exped first when packing for a trip. The Nemo is my second and the BA last just due to the noise.

Thermarest Neoair X-therm NXT: good thickness for side sleeper, durable, high R value for sleeping warm in cold weather. Get the 25 inch wide version- sleeping on a twenty inch wide pad is like trying to sleep on a balance beam. For even more ground protection (especially if you are using a floorless shelter) use a ground sheet like Tyvek and add a 1/8 inch foam pad under the pad. Seekoutside, Gossamer Gear, and Mountain Laurel Designs all sell that foam.

Second this

Side and stomach sleeper with the Thermarest Nelson X Therm

Depending on ground - ground sheet tyvek good too and light / small to help with crap underneath pad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nemo Quasar 3D pad and two pillows, yes, two pillows. As a fellow side sleeper that’s not getting any younger i’ve learned i’m better off carrying slightly more weight to be get better sleep than bare bones ultralight and get less sleep.

Sleeping without a pad as i did in my 20s and 30s or ultralight pads are for that age bracket imo so ignore their advice. They will change their tune, as i did, as they age too.0

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've owned dozens of different pads over the years; now I own one (well two, I have an Uberlite for really light adventures)- Thermarest Xtherm- Large.

The new one (NXT) looks even a little better (thicker w/ an even higher R value) and somehow even managed to shave a few ounces off!