Like some Backcountry Sleeping Pad Suggestions Please!!

dct73

FNG
I've had comfortable nights on a Nemo Tensor Insulated wide. Light and small pack size. If you're using it in cool weather, make sure whatever you get is insulated.

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
6’3” 260# side sleeper.

I tried neoair, klymit, and a couple of others. Bought a sea to summit ether light a few years back and have hardly used any of my other pads since. 4inches thick. Durable. Reasonably light for the comfort it offers. I can run mine just below fully inflated and still not bottom out. FWIW I use the wide rectangular version and set up my pillow off the pad.

This is the way.

TNsavageman

Lil-Rokslider
6’3” 260# side sleeper.

I tried neoair, klymit, and a couple of others. Bought a sea to summit ether light a few years back and have hardly used any of my other pads since. 4inches thick. Durable. Reasonably light for the comfort it offers. I can run mine just below fully inflated and still not bottom out. FWIW I use the wide rectangular version and set up my pillow off the pad.

I use this same pad. I’ve used it backpacking close to home and took it to the NWT for a backpack sheep hunt. Slept great and no leak issues.

PlanoDano

FNG
I use floorless shelters most of the time and will carry polycryo sheet of a thinlight foam pad to put under my sleeping pad. I use the retangular tensor and new retangular xtherm. Not to many nights on the new pad. I also do not fully inflate pad.

dtrkyman

WKR
Anyone just try double foam pads, like 2 thermarest ridgerest? I have an insulated air core ultra, to say it sucks may be a bit harsh but I definitely don't like it!

TaperPin

WKR
The 2” thermarest isn’t light, but works great.

I also have to sleep on it a number of days before a trip - if you can’t be comfortable at home you won’t be any better on the mountain. Muscles need time to acclimate to new pressure points.

MTHokie

FNG
For comfort and durability I don't think you can beat an Exped - I have had my Synmat7 for over 15 years - sent it back once for a leak I couldn't find, and Exped sent me a new one. I have slept on the BA Insulated Air Core Ultra -- it's lightweight, but not nearly as comfy as my Synmat7 or my wife's Downmat5. I have no experience with BA customer service, but Exped's is top notch.

MTHokie

FNG
Anyone just try double foam pads, like 2 thermarest ridgerest? I have an insulated air core ultra, to say it sucks may be a bit harsh but I definitely don't like it!
I have slept on two ridgerests stacked as you describe. It feels like sleeping on a sheet of plywood - terrible.

maya

FNG
My experience..
When weight/space is priority, xtherm.
When comfort/durability is priority, exped.

Southfork

FNG
I’ve been running a Thermarest NeoAir X-Lite for about a decade. It’s been a great pad, but as I’ve gotten older, I’m fine with carrying a few extra ounces to sleep better in the backcountry. I just ordered the Thermarest XTherm NXT MAX. At 6’2”/205, the X-lite has always been just enough, and it’s a great pad if you are trying to go super light, but I’m looking forward to the extra width and loft of the XTherm MAX.

Lock

FNG
Im horse packing so can afford a few extra lbs in areas I deam important… this year im running a bi layer memory foam mattress thats 4” its quite heavy at 15lbs but after last year and not sleeping for 4 nights im pretty sure it will be worth the effort of getting it in… I looked into magamat 10 and other similar options that would probably be within reach for a backpack hunter if you place value on it and can justify the weight but have never personally used one.

RyanC

WKR
6’3” 260# side sleeper.

Another vote for the S2S Ether Lite XT!! The design of the baffles is so comfortable and at 4” thick you will not bottom out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDRam16

WKR
I’m curious to know if people who recommend Klymit have ever used anything else…they’re ok for what they are; a budget pad. They are thin, not all that warm, and barely more comfortable than sleeping on concrete.

dct73

FNG
I’m curious to know if people who recommend Klymit have ever used anything else…they’re ok for what they are; a budget pad. They are thin, not all that warm, and barely more comfortable than sleeping on concrete.
I mostly agree. I got rid of a klymit static V insulated because it slept too cold. I'm much warmer with the Nemo Tensor Insulated.

BDRam16

WKR
I mostly agree. I got rid of a klymit static V insulated because it slept too cold. I'm much warmer with the Nemo Tensor Insulated.
I switched from an insulated V to the new BA Zoom UL mostly for comfort. The Klymit is so thin I felt like it wasn’t even there.

mvv5137

FNG
I’m going to recommend against the x- therm. I use one for fast and light mountaineering objectives because of its warmth to weight ratio, but it’s painfully uncomfortable. I hear good things about the big Agnes pads.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I slept like a baby with my Xtherm 10 days straight recently :) I did bring a Large on this trip, but usually use a regular (4 oz difference)

Another xtherm fan here. I have probably 100+ nights on my original xtherm with very few complaints. I've had to patch it 3 or 4 times. The noise never has bothered me at all but I'm a heavy sleeper. I did pick up the new xtherm nxt version for this fall but haven't tried it yet.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
Best I’ve found so far is the nemo tensor alpine and the exped ultra 5r…they are tough, comfortable, warm, and fairly lightweight and packable.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m going to recommend against the x- therm. I use one for fast and light mountaineering objectives because of its warmth to weight ratio, but it’s painfully uncomfortable. I hear good things about the big Agnes pads.
The new Xtherm is 3in thick compared to 2.5in for the older one. Better than sleeping on an Exped pool float.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk