Liteoutdoors tipi

Agla06

FNG
Yes .. it depends , we use the best fabric for the purpose. For instance, packs Cordura is USA, X-Pac is USA but SpectraGridHT is from a South Korean mill .. it's the only place for it and it actually may be the best fabric of the bunch per weight. Sorry if I offend anyone .. but it's arguably as strong as Cordura at 65 percent the weight (and it does have Cordura mixed with the Spectra) and has a superior waterproof coating to boot.

Tent fabric - Dyneema is all US (Good news ..we should take our big shipment soon and Dyneema is doing well on production). Our Nylon is South Korea, but it is more complex (you know Hilleburg fabric is South Korea as well right ?) . The base of our nylon tent fabric is Cordura yarn which is imported to South Korea from the U.S where it is woven and coated. We choose this mill because they have a really really good coating and are pretty consistent (We have processed several hundred miles of fabric from that mill ). In the U.S we could not get the enough of the fabric with a good coating to meet our demand period.

Now on to the specifics of fabrics ... there are basically a few things that go into creating a great, reliable tent fabric that has many years of hard field use. The basics are type of fabric (Polyester, Nylon , High Tenacity Nylon ), Fabric Denier, and Fabric coating. A 40 denier fabric is thicker than a 30 denier fabric, BUT it is far more complex. High Tenacity Nylon or Cordura Nylon (High Tenacity is basically generic cordura) is far stronger than regular nylon, and nylon is stronger than polyester. So in essence a 30 Denier Cordura nylon can be stronger than a 70 denier fabric. Furthermore, fabric coating plays a HUGE part. Silicone coating is the lightest AND strongest BUT it can not be seam taped (that is why everyone gets the pleasure of seam sealing our nylon tents). PU coatings are heavier and weaken the fabric BUT can be taped. Blended (Sil and PU combined ) are really sort of in the middle.

For a perspective, Seek Outside has made in the past
70 Denier Nylon PU coated fabrics (I know some on here have big 12 person camo tipis from it .. troutbum)
70 Denier Nylon Silicone coated fabrics (I know some on here have those as well .. Tan tipis Robby )
30 Denier Cordura Nylon Silicone coated fabrics .. (an absolute sh*t ton on here have those )
Dyneema Tents
We also have customers that request the heavier denier fabrics because they equate it with more strength .. BUT it simply is not so. Currently we only use 30D Cordura and Dyneema for tents because they are the strongest , longest lasting fabrics. The other fabrics are just less expensive but they are NOT better and in the case of lighter PU fabrics such as a 30 D or 40D they can be prone to catastrophic rips and tears.

So what does this mean .. it means you may well be fine with a heavier fabric that is polyester or regular nylon with a PU or blended coating BUT the odds favor the Cordura Nylon with a Silicone coating or a Dyneema tent by a long shot in the long run .. especially in bad weather or any sort of issue. We have the data to back it up.

Kevin
Good info. I wish every company listed their materials so they could be compared and analyzed. From what can tell the closest tipi (in size) you guys have to the Plateau 5 is your 6 man tipi. Is that correct?

I'd love to buy your stuff as it appears to be a great product. I think many like me are trying to find the best product that is under their budget but meets size requirements with as much features as possible.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good info. I wish every company listed their materials so they could be compared and analyzed. From what can tell the closest tipi (in size) you guys have to the Plateau 5 is your 6 man tipi. Is that correct?

I'd love to buy your stuff as it appears to be a great product. I think many like me are trying to find the best product that is under their budget but meets size requirements with as much features as possible.
110 vs 150 sq ft , 7 ft tall vs 7'8". Really a combination of the Redcliff and Cimarron are closer to being comparable more in between those two shelters.

Blaw

WKR
Finally got a chance to get out, put the shelter to the test and take some photos. Didn't have very extreme conditions to test it in but had some decent winds and low enough temps. Shelter did great in the wind and it was below 20 outside but mid 80s inside the tent. Shelter is an outright palace for one, plenty of room for me plus my son and our backpacking gear and we could more than likely squeeze one more dude in with no issues. Condensation was pretty brutal in the morning but can't say it was worse than any other floorless shelter I've used and I didn't have very dry ground to set up on. All in all very pleased with it so far, it's my first "hot tent" so take my initial impressions with that in mind but I would definitely recommend it based on my limited experience so far, hopefully it continues to shine in the long run!

XBGeHdS.jpg

wZLTV3C.jpg

VouY2UD.jpg

oHAgBab.jpg

QicFXIG.jpg
Those are great pics!
Question on the stove, I saw a review online saying the titanium started buckling where the chimney pipe comes out? did you experience that?
and gotta love supporting fellow canadian companies!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)

CO-AJ

WKR
Looks like size wise it is between a Cimmaron and a Redcliff from SO. Big price difference for sure compared to the SO DCF offerings, but it doesnt seem to be much of a price difference from the silnylon seek outside options. I am considering the tipi style tents as well but am going to spend the money for DCF. I am concerned about the number of postings above where condensation is discussed. I will be running a nest in my tent, but am concerned about condensation. I would think with a stove there wouldn't be much, and if I am solo in a tipi there is so much internal volume that your breath would just spread out. If the vents are open maybe the door cracked that would help as well. Those of you with tipi's do you find that condensation in tipis is worse than say regular freestanding tents such as an MSR, Big Agnes, or Hille?

CO-AJ

WKR
Those are great pics!
Question on the stove, I saw a review online saying the titanium started buckling where the chimney pipe comes out? did you experience that?
Watched a lite outdoors you tube segment where if the long bolts that hold the end caps on the stove are overtightened it will cause the titanium to buckle around the stove vent. I didn't see that as a problem on the SO stove.

Blaw

WKR
Watched a lite outdoors you tube segment where if the long bolts that hold the end caps on the stove are overtightened it will cause the titanium to buckle around the stove vent. I didn't see that as a problem on the SO stove.
yea that is the video I saw as well. Talked to the Canadian Kuiu Rep who also uses one and he says he has had his for a while and never had an issue

Those are great pics!

Thank you sir! I did get a small bit of warping around the chimney, I had spoke with Brennen when it happened and he told me to keep an eye on it and let him know if it progressed any further. The next time I was out it did progress a bit further, I let him know and he said that's an issue they do see from time to time on stove bodies but that he would send me a new stove body as soon as they receive new stock (this was post covid so everything is moving much slower now.) Still functional in the meantime just makes setup a bit trickier, hopefully the replacement body is good to go as I've spoken with lots of guys that haven't experienced that issue but have heard from a few guys that have as well. At least he addressed the issue and didn't just send me a DIY repair link though :ROFLMAO:

I am concerned about the number of postings above where condensation is discussed.

Those of you with tipi's do you find that condensation in tipis is worse than say regular freestanding tents such as an MSR, Big Agnes, or Hille?

Take what I say about condensation with a grain of salt as I live in coastal BC, few places on earth with worse condensation issues. I don't have personal experience with those shelters and know some are double wall which will certainly help. I experience condensation in any shelter I sleep in though no matter how well I vent it, even when solo. In my experience, freestanding tents are worse for me as far as condensation goes, not necessarily because of the amount of moisture but because the size/weight ratio generally leaves me with less room inside, my sleeping bag will inevitably touch the sides and I've woken up with a wet sleeping bag just from condensation. In a floored shelter the condensation can drip into the bathtub floor and soak everything, in a floorless tipi it generally just runs down the sides and into the ground. I'm also much farther from the walls in a 10.5x10.5' tipi than I am in a 3 man freestanding shelter. When the stove is running condensation is a non issue, I bring a microfiber towel to give the top of the tipi a wipe down where my shoulders might brush against the walls in the morning then fire up the stove, for me it's 100x better than freestanding options, that won't be the case for everybody though.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Have folks been happy with the durability of the LO tipi?
I just bought one and have only set it up a couple of times so don't have a ton on reliability, but my 80lb dog tested it pretty good and jumped all over it when it was flat and no holes. The little wires in the vent opening make it kind of hard to fold and fit in the bag but other then that I don't have any complaints. I pitched it overnight on primarily dirt with little grass and still got condensation in it, and I didn't even sleep in it. So I know condensation is going to be a thing, but I'm not too worried about it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

JParcher

FNG
I just bought one and have only set it up a couple of times so don't have a ton on reliability, but my 80lb dog tested it pretty good and jumped all over it when it was flat and no holes. The little wires in the vent opening make it kind of hard to fold and fit in the bag but other then that I don't have any complaints. I pitched it overnight on primarily dirt with little grass and still got condensation in it, and I didn't even sleep in it. So I know condensation is going to be a thing, but I'm not too worried about it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Nice...thanks for the reply.

Any updates on this? Was getting ready to pull the trigger on a redcliff, but this looks like it might work just as well for my needs.

Just bought a plateau and best. Haven't put it up yet though. Arrived super quick. Looking forward to giving it a run with my boys.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
I used the Plateau and titanium stove quite a bit last year from antelope to mtn goat hunts. Slept 3 with gear and stove relatively comfortably in it for a few nights. At just over $600 for the stove, tipi, pole, stakes, etc., I feel like it's a great deal.
55a8cc4ad548696592d0b147e27afe5d.jpg
2dab3ae58f366757b4230f3e12ea858e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. I believe I've posted one of those in the camp pictures thread earlier, but not sure. Lots of great photos in there!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk