Longbow Creek Reunion

AKDoc

WKR
Congrats!

Thanks for always sharing with us KD...great adventure for sure...great write-up...excellent images of the adventure...extremely well done sir!! I especially like all the brow tines on that big boy you took. My favorite part of the narrative is your obvious appreciation and care for the meat and taking it all home with you guys...it is a big part of it all for me, and it's sooooo good!

I wish you guys the best in your injury recoveries!!

cnelk

WKR
Thanks for the recap Kevin. Good stuff!
Also a thank you for your assistance answering some of my questions over the years.

Rest up. Get well.

Last edited:

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Kevin,
Congratulations, that is a Great bull. Like always, a great read. It is roughly ten years since I first read your account of a moose hunt that rekindled my desire to return to Alaska.

Thanks for sharing!

You sure are a lot better with words and a camera then me.

Last edited:

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I felt like I was right there with you. I kept thinking, he's broadside at 20 yards - take the shot! It was pretty to cool how your buddy also made what sounds like a nice kill shot as it raced passed him. Rest up and dream big about next year...

OP
Kevin Dill
Congrats!

Thanks for always sharing with us KD...great adventure for sure...great write-up...excellent images of the adventure...extremely well done sir!! I especially like all the brow tines on that big boy you took. My favorite part of the narrative is your obvious appreciation and care for the meat and taking it all home with you guys...it is a big part of it all for me, and it's sooooo good!

I wish you guys the best in your injury recoveries!!

Sincere thanks. Any moose you get to eat is a great trophy in my mind. The simple truth is that I wouldn't be hunting them if they weren't so fabulous to eat. Big antlers are a bone-us (lol) when they happen. And again....hearty congratulations on your recent successful hunt.

OP
Kevin Dill
Thanks for the recap Kevin. Good stuff!
Also a thank you for your assistance answering some of my questions over the years.

Rest up. Get well.

Thanks Brad. Sharing knowledge with other passionate hunters is a good thing. Congrats on your recent assist with a young man's first bull. That's the best and most selfless kind of sharing. KD

OP
Kevin Dill
Kevin,
Congratulations, that is a Great bull. Like always, a great read. It is roughly ten years since I first read your account of a moose hunt that rekindled my desire to return to Alaska.

Thanks for sharing!

You sure are a lot better with words and a camera then me.
Many thanks Walt. We do back a ways don't we? I don't know if I really had anything to do with you going back to Alaska, but I'm sure glad you did. I've enjoyed your accounts of multiple hunts and the hardcore way you get it done. You've had excellent success with just a little old harmless all-wood bow and arrows. Who does THAT these days? BIG congratulations for your excellent bull just taken. KD

OP
Kevin Dill
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I felt like I was right there with you. I kept thinking, he's broadside at 20 yards - take the shot! It was pretty to cool how your buddy also made what sounds like a nice kill shot as it raced passed him. Rest up and dream big about next year...
"Take the shot!" I know....right? I was hypnotized by the bull's approach and manners. I was hoping for a 10 yard shot (my average) but bulls go where they will. My brain hesitated and so did the bull. He broke the spell when he started fighting the brush. You had to see Jeff's running shot to believe or understand it. I just shake my head in wonder at that kind of talent.

OP
Kevin Dill
CJjLggr.jpg

Reference to size. I wanted to leave the skull intact but the size and configuration of the antlers made it impossible to get the skinned head secured to the wing struts. Out came a saw and I capped the antlers. The cut-off skull section and antlers will be reunited to make a good Euro mount.

Congratulations Kevin and thanks for taking the time to share the story and all the details. I know it's a lot of work putting such a detailed recap together. There are a whole bunch of us that cross our fingers every year hoping you'll do so.

I'll be rooting for JT (and you) next year.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
And you said you weren’t very good with words!! You’re pictures and words put me right there with you 2, like I was watching a movie. Congrats on that beast of a bull, now you’ve got 11 1/2 months to heal and do it all again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDeck

FNG
Great write up. It made me miss moose country.
What gloves were you wearing for the butchering? That's an easily over looked safety item.

OP
Kevin Dill
Great write up. It made me miss moose country.
What gloves were you wearing for the butchering? That's an easily over looked safety item.

I don't recall the brand, but they are basically a cut-proof (Kevlar I think) glove with the rubberized fingers. I won't cut on a moose without them, as my hands get tired and I make mistakes. I use them around camp for cutting and splitting wood also. At the end of the trip I trash them and bring a new pair each year.