Longer term hunting trips/expeditions

Going through another round of friends and acquaintances passing away or severely ill, has got me thinking. I have yet to be able to take a hunting trip out west or to Canada and it is something that I have wanted to do for a lot of years now.I would like at some point to take an extended trip, a month or more, to dedicate to hunting and adventures. Much like people did back in the day. Spending most of a month in the Canadian or Alaskan wilderness is what I think of a lot to really reset my mind, away from the modern life and seeing epic places.

I know that by the time I am able to truly be able to, if ever, able to finance such a trip that it may be a photography trip. Especially in Canada. An outfitter would be a must even just for logistics of supplies.

Has anyone done or tried to do something like this in recent times? How would it be planned out and to be able to finance such a trip?

Scorpion

WKR
You can take Canada off the list unless you’re just doing photos. No hunting without a guide or outfitter.

Alaska would give you a lot of opportunities for an extended trip of rambling but it wouldn’t be cheap logistically.

It can be done in the west. Lots of guys take 5-6 weeks and plan multi state western hunts. They spend 8-9 months a year working and saving to cover costs while out there. This often takes a few years of planning to ensure you have tags drawn.

I’ve done close to 3-4 weeks with a few travel days in between between Alaska, Wyoming, Colorado.

Driving out west and spending a month camping on NF land can be done cheaply. You can even pick up an OTC tag in a few states to add a week or two hunting.

Sounds like you’re really in need of some travel or to just book a hunt with an outfitter.

Rich M

WKR
Ive thought about doing a summer in Alaska, not exactly hunting but fishing and exploring based out of a cabin on the water, or maybe a houseboat. Got at least 10-12 years so may not get realized but we’ll see.

If you are able and can afford it, take off and enjoy, at least hit the national parks and do an antelope hunt.