Looking for 600 yard deer/elk rifle. Recommendations?

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

As the title reads I am Looking a 600 yard rifle/caliber combo that is capable of the penetration needed to kill a big old bull at 600 yards if needed. If I only had one shot at a bull and he was quartered to me at 600 yards I want a caliber/bullet I would be confident it would break the shoulder and penetrate into the vitals.

I mostly hunt deer of all species yet occasionally elk.

The things I would like is a completed rifle around 8lbs give or take.
I have a Leupold VX5 I would top it with.
24” or less barrel
Needs to reliably shoot under 1 moa.
Need to shoot factory ammo as I don’t reload at this time.
Not sure if the budget yet so wanting to see what’s out there.

I am very aware that 600 is a long ways(not sure if it fits “long range”) will assume the shooter does everything correctly so I just want to critique the rifle/caliber/bullet combo.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks and have a great day!

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
What is your budget? I bought a Fierce Carbon Fury rifle chambered in 300 WM a year ago. They are built on the Sako action and are very nice rifles.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
What is your budget? I bought a Fierce Carbon Fury rifle chambered in 300 WM a year ago. They are built on the Sako action and are very nice rifles.
I’m still working out a budget so not ruling anything out yet.
What kind of groups are you shooting with yours and what rounds?
Thanks

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Since you don't handload and want to shot through elk shoulders at 600 yards I'd definitely use these bullets
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102239579launched from this rifle

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/sav...c-stock-grayblack-finish/FC-011356575821.html
Thanks for the response. That is one of the guns I have in mind. Do you have one and if so how do those terminal ascents shoot out of it?
I actually used that same round in a .300 WinMag this year and killed a muley with it. EXCELLENT round for sure.

Attachments

• 89BF0618-1BD4-4C82-878E-004BEBC6B4C3.jpeg
    89BF0618-1BD4-4C82-878E-004BEBC6B4C3.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 104
Almost any production rifle made since 1960? With the right caliber of course. Sorry I'm not more helpful. There must be hundreds of choices, and so many other considerations beyond the rifle and caliber. 6.5 CM and up can kill ethically to 600 yards and more.

Last edited:

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still working out a budget so not ruling anything out yet.
What kind of groups are you shooting with yours and what rounds?
Thanks
Mine shoots on average 0.5 inch groups at 100 yards with 180gr accubonds loaded by Federal. I have not played around with other loads though, I am sure I can get better accuracy if I try out other ammunition. Fierce claims 0.25 MOA accuracy with the right loads with their guns but 0.5 is enough for what I need.

Sadler

WKR
I’m building a 20” 6.5 PRC for the same purpose. Mostly for deer and an occasional elk. I’ll be shooting unknown munitions 156 Berger mayhem ammo through it (he offers solid copper options as well) and with my NX8 and suppressor on it it’ll be about 8.75 lbs.

rootacres

WKR
The 6.5 PRC is all the rage right now. If you didn't plan to hunt elk I think that would be a great option. Most on here will suggest a 30 of some kind for elk. I think a 300 WSM is a great option, I had one. I ended up selling it to help fund a custom 7mm WSM build. A heavy 7mm bullet would be an excellent crossover. When this barrel is toast I will be half temped to go back to the 300 WSM.

The current ammo crisis has exposed the lack of love for the WSMs. You plan on shooting factory ammo and finding those calibers right now really aren't too challenging.

Rifles to look at, not sure your budget, but I have positive experience with these.

Christensen Arms Ridgeline or Mesa ($1200-$1500)
Tikka T3X (Sub $1000)
Bergara B-14 Hunter ($600 ish)

Last edited:

KyleM4130

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with rootacres. 7mm bullets carry such a high BC and have a ton of energy without having to shoot a 215gr bullet. You can load it down to 140gr or up to 195gr for really any animal in North America. Get an 1:8 twist barrel and shoot the heavies. 7 wsm, 28 Nosler, 7 rem mag, all great cartridges.

Thanks for the response. That is one of the guns I have in mind. Do you have one and if so how do those terminal ascents shoot out of it?
I actually used that same round in a .300 WinMag this year and killed a muley with it. EXCELLENT round for sure.
I don't have one and I'm not a savage lover,
Its a proof cut rifled barrel though and I'd say it's one of your best bets for a production rifle.

If youre not wanting a 30 cal then I'd go for the 7mm over a 6.5 any day, I run both and really don't see the benefit of a 6.5
Recoil is about the same with either one

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Almost any production rifle made since 1960? With the right caliber of course. Sorry I'm not more helpful. There must be hundreds of choices, and so many other considerations beyond the rifle and caliber. 6.5 CM and up can kill ethically to 600 yards and more.
Yeh I hear you here. I figured if I posed the question here people would list what they would use, giving me some specific things to look at.
thanks.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Mine shoots on average 0.5 inch groups at 100 yards with 180gr accubonds loaded by Federal. I have not played around with other loads though, I am sure I can get better accuracy if I try out other ammunition. Fierce claims 0.25 MOA accuracy with the right loads with their guns but 0.5 is enough for what I need.
Perfect. I feel any gun that can do .5 with factory is great. Thanks for the input!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Tikka T3X in 7mm Rem Mag. Mine shoots the 168 Grain Berger VLD Hunters loaded up at Unkown Munitions. Lethal as all get out on elk and bang flop on every deer I’ve ever shot with it. Shots from 50 yards shortest on a wild boar, to 1,105 yards longest on a whitetail.