Looking for 600 yard deer/elk rifle. Recommendations?

Mrvrsick

FNG
I used the Hornady ballistics calculator
59 degrees and it was zero elevation.
If I put in 4000 it bumps the Barnes to mid 900ftlbs.
If I put 4000 ft, I'm still seeing 1361 ft-lbs at 600 yards. I don't feel like I wouldn't have enough energy. At for a barnes lrx, I'm seeing 1151 at 600 yards, 1351 at 500 yards.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
Than
I really like mine and do not have much negative to say about it. It is very accurate and light which makes it ideal for backcountry hunting. At first I wished that it came with a 26" barrel instead of 24" but that isn't really necessary in a hunting rifle and comes with extra weight and length. I was very hesitant to spend the money on it at first but I am glad I did. I have a Sako in 308 as well. I looked at a Browning X-Bolt, Christensen Arms too, but I think the machining and overall quality in a Fierce rifle is a step above these bigger companies.
Thanks again!
I am looking for a 24” barrel as well so am glad to hear you are liking it. It’s a pretty light gun for that caliber.
What are your thoughts on the perceived recoil?
At the range do you shoot it off bags? Sled? Prone with a bipod? Trying to wrap my head around what my expectations should be.
I know I’m asking a ton of questions so again thanks for the info!!

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
If I put 4000 ft, I'm still seeing 1361 ft-lbs at 600 yards. I don't feel like I wouldn't have enough energy. At for a barnes lrx, I'm seeing 1151 at 600 yards, 1351 at 500 yards.
I’m really curious to the differences we are getting. This is what I am inputting and the results. This has me perplexed!

Attachments

• 58A017FD-EC5F-4565-8C62-0CC45A388617.png
    58A017FD-EC5F-4565-8C62-0CC45A388617.png
    495.5 KB · Views: 39
  • C23F0C15-F336-46C5-BB35-781A4D0EB859.png
    C23F0C15-F336-46C5-BB35-781A4D0EB859.png
    379.4 KB · Views: 39

kit_man_duu

Lil-Rokslider
Than

Thanks again!
I am looking for a 24” barrel as well so am glad to hear you are liking it. It’s a pretty light gun for that caliber.
What are your thoughts on the perceived recoil?
At the range do you shoot it off bags? Sled? Prone with a bipod? Trying to wrap my head around what my expectations should be.
I know I’m asking a ton of questions so again thanks for the info!!
I used a sled when I tried out different loads, after that I was shooting with the muzzle-brake using a bag. I have shot without the muzzle-brake as well, and you do feel it during the summer (with just a t-shirt). I live in Minnesota and during the colder months, having thicker layers helps with the recoil. For comparison I shoot a Browning Abolt 12 gauge with 3" sabot slugs for deer season and the recoil is not too different. Overall I think it is very manageable. Let me know if you have any more questions, I'm more than happy to help.

Spoonbill

WKR
I think you would be happy with the eld-x from your 270. If nothing else it will get you out to 600. According to Hornady, the 6.5 prc and 270 in their precision hunter ammo are pretty neck and neck to 500.
Someone else suggested it already, but the 28 nosler may be what you are looking for as a step up from the 270.

Mrvrsick

FNG
I think you would be happy with the eld-x from your 270. If nothing else it will get you out to 600. According to Hornady, the 6.5 prc and 270 in their precision hunter ammo are pretty neck and neck to 500.
Someone else suggested it already, but the 28 nosler may be what you are looking for as a step up from the 270.
Yup, that's why my rifle is in 6.5 prc, but honestly, I'd trade it for a 270 in a heartbeat.

Agree that a 28 nosler is a step up, though recoil is a big jump. Also, I wouldn't turn down a 7 rem mag with handloads, as I've heard they can really get up there.

As for me, I'd be most happy with a hot 7mm-08 or a 280 Ai, but I don't think I can make a 600 yard shot.

babayaga2440

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

As the title reads I am Looking a 600 yard rifle/caliber combo that is capable of the penetration needed to kill a big old bull at 600 yards if needed. If I only had one shot at a bull and he was quartered to me at 600 yards I want a caliber/bullet I would be confident it would break the shoulder and penetrate into the vitals.

I mostly hunt deer of all species yet occasionally elk.

The things I would like is a completed rifle around 8lbs give or take.
I have a Leupold VX5 I would top it with.
24” or less barrel
Needs to reliably shoot under 1 moa.
Need to shoot factory ammo as I don’t reload at this time.
Not sure if the budget yet so wanting to see what’s out there.

I am very aware that 600 is a long ways(not sure if it fits “long range”) will assume the shooter does everything correctly so I just want to critique the rifle/caliber/bullet combo.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks and have a great day!

I use a Browning A-Bolt in 300 WSM. You can get any load to shoot good in it because of the BOSS system. You can tune the barrel harmonics to the load. This gun shoots under a half minute all day with my hand loads. I have Hornady 200 gr ELD-X that in 2019 took two bears (382yrds and 715 yrds) a buck at 425yrds and a doe at 450yrds. This years load is 200gr Federal Terminal Ascents. They fly great out of this rifle. It’s a great gun that I’ve done a lot of work to. I’m actually selling it right now just because I’m building another 300wsm full custom. Shoot me a message if you are interested.
863137fcb33f4eef022b80970622977f.jpg

d3b6d345fdcbfaa5e7ad064b0a725076.jpg

88ef7eca59aeef7f27629d42f52fa2bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Browning A-Bolt in 300 WSM. You can get any load to shoot good in it because of the BOSS system. You can tune the barrel harmonics to the load. This gun shoots under a half minute all day with my hand loads. I have Hornady 200 gr ELD-X that in 2019 took two bears (382yrds and 715 yrds) a buck at 425yrds and a doe at 450yrds. This years load is 200gr Federal Terminal Ascents. They fly great out of this rifle. It’s a great gun that I’ve done a lot of work to. I’m actually selling it right now just because I’m building another 300wsm full custom. Shoot me a message if you are interested.
863137fcb33f4eef022b80970622977f.jpg

d3b6d345fdcbfaa5e7ad064b0a725076.jpg

88ef7eca59aeef7f27629d42f52fa2bd.jpg

What’s the weight? Looks like a great rifle.

babayaga2440

Lil-Rokslider
What’s the weight? Looks like a great rifle.

It’s 8lbs 11oz empty and with two extra rounds in the stock pack and three in the magazine it’s 9lbs 6oz. IMO that’s a good weight for a magnum caliber. It makes it enjoyable to shoot, especially with the muzzle break. The BOSS system is pretty slick how you can make whatever load you want shoot good. No more buying 6 different factory loads to see what one shoots the best. Especially now that it’s hard to find ammo.

barrister

WKR
I have a Bergara Premier Stalker in 30-06 and it shoots great to 600 yards. It loves Federal Premium loads with 180 grain Barnes bullets. It dropped an elk at 510 yards and a mule deer at 440 yard this year. 30-06 is not a new caliber but it performs and does what I need. This model of Bergara is no longer made, but they make great rifles from what I have seen.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
IMO, don't use energy. If you use a jacketed bullet like Berger or ELDm, 1800 fps is the conservative limit. 260, 270, 280, and 3006 are all enough for elk and deer inside 600. Magnums just kick it up a notch.

Ryan showed what a 147 does. If you use a "match" bullet like a Berger or ELDm, then what matters is if the bullet is going fast enough to expand. You don't need a 30 cal. I like a 7mm in the 168 to 180 grain close to 3000 fps for ballistics and killing effect.

A Berger above 1800 fps is going to devastate the lungs of any animal when it hits. It goes in a few inches and the bullet comes apart and shreds a ton of tissue. I would have no problem running a 6mm 95 grain on deer and even a 6mm 115 grain on elk out to 600. Its not ideal, but if you can put the bullet in the lungs, its gonna die when it shreds them. In fact, having shot my 6mm at matches from crazy positions so much, and my confidence in it, I am building an ultralight 6mm for deer hunting. It will kill out to 700+ based on fps. If I had a little kid going elk hunting I would rather have them shoot a 6mm well than a magnum poorly. Gotta get the bullet in the lungs, that's first priority.

Don't get a 30 cal lightweight mountain rifle. They are much harder to shoot accurately. A 6.5 prc is easier to shoot, spot shots, and it will kill stuff.

Being overgunned hurts more people cause they can't shoot it. First priority is making a good shot. A big magnum doesn't cure bad shots, and causes more of them, IMO.

All the arguments about energy are based on the old bullets and the old theory to break shoulders so they don't walk away. But, none of my animals went more than 20 yards. Energy per se doesn't matter when the wound channel is massive and devastation to lungs. They fell where they were hit. You don't need an exit wound and blood to track, cause they can't go far without lungs-if they even move. I have never lost more than part of a quarter, and I don't eat lungs.

If you go with a traditional bullet, then just use the manufacturer's minimum expansion velocity and stay above 140 grains, IMO.

My limited experience is that people are a bigger problem than the size of the bullet.

I run a Berger 180 vld at 3000 fps. Its good to 1000 or more on the 1800 fps standard. The copper jacket has exited on everything I have shot inside 730. Usually leaves a golfball sized exit hole.

6 of 7 were one shot kills. My elk just stood there so I hit it twice more till he tipped over. 5 were long range shots at 430 caribou, 575 sitka, 575 sitka, 590 elk, and 730 coues. I shot a caribou at 100 yards and it left a baseball sized hole on the far side and I swear I saw it blow out chunks of lung. Same with a buck at about 125.

At 730, my 180 vld hit a coues deer quartering to hard. Went in and blew out a lung, liver, passed through his stomach out its side and blew a crater filled with stomach contents in his leg.

At 590, it blew out both lungs of my elk and had an exit wound. 180 grains was more than enough. A 6.5 mm or 7mm 140 wpuld have had the same ultimate effect.

My buddy, different rifle-same load, shot his elk at 1100 yards. Hit it twice before it moved and it walked a few dozen yards and fell over. Way further than I would shoot, but it performed.

My rifle is 11 lbs loaded and braked so I can spot my shots off a tripod.

Here is the coues shot. Looks like it hit in the back, but its the way the wake is. Look close and its a lung shot.

20201212_141417.jpg20201212_135343.jpg20201213_112102.jpg20201213_112045.jpg

Attachments

• 20201212_141410.jpg
    20201212_141410.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 19
Hey all,

As the title reads I am Looking a 600 yard rifle/caliber combo that is capable of the penetration needed to kill a big old bull at 600 yards if needed. If I only had one shot at a bull and he was quartered to me at 600 yards I want a caliber/bullet I would be confident it would break the shoulder and penetrate into the vitals.

I mostly hunt deer of all species yet occasionally elk.

The things I would like is a completed rifle around 8lbs give or take.
I have a Leupold VX5 I would top it with.
24” or less barrel
Needs to reliably shoot under 1 moa.
Need to shoot factory ammo as I don’t reload at this time.
Not sure if the budget yet so wanting to see what’s out there.

I am very aware that 600 is a long ways(not sure if it fits “long range”) will assume the shooter does everything correctly so I just want to critique the rifle/caliber/bullet combo.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks and have a great day!
My Savage Lightweight Storm with an '06 Savage sporter barrel, will do all that for under $1K and exactly 7 lbs.

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
My Savage Lightweight Storm with an '06 Savage sporter barrel, will do all that for under $1K and exactly 7 lbs.
Thanks for the reply. I will look this rifle up today. What ammunition do you use in it?

OP
plentycoupe

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, don't use energy. If you use a jacketed bullet like Berger or ELDm, 1800 fps is the conservative limit. 260, 270, 280, and 3006 are all enough for elk and deer inside 600. Magnums just kick it up a notch.

Ryan showed what a 147 does. If you use a "match" bullet like a Berger or ELDm, then what matters is if the bullet is going fast enough to expand. You don't need a 30 cal. I like a 7mm in the 168 to 180 grain close to 3000 fps for ballistics and killing effect.

A Berger above 1800 fps is going to devastate the lungs of any animal when it hits. It goes in a few inches and the bullet comes apart and shreds a ton of tissue. I would have no problem running a 6mm 95 grain on deer and even a 6mm 115 grain on elk out to 600. Its not ideal, but if you can put the bullet in the lungs, its gonna die when it shreds them. In fact, having shot my 6mm at matches from crazy positions so much, and my confidence in it, I am building an ultralight 6mm for deer hunting. It will kill out to 700+ based on fps. If I had a little kid going elk hunting I would rather have them shoot a 6mm well than a magnum poorly. Gotta get the bullet in the lungs, that's first priority.

Don't get a 30 cal lightweight mountain rifle. They are much harder to shoot accurately. A 6.5 prc is easier to shoot, spot shots, and it will kill stuff.

Being overgunned hurts more people cause they can't shoot it. First priority is making a good shot. A big magnum doesn't cure bad shots, and causes more of them, IMO.

All the arguments about energy are based on the old bullets and the old theory to break shoulders so they don't walk away. But, none of my animals went more than 20 yards. Energy per se doesn't matter when the wound channel is massive and devastation to lungs. They fell where they were hit. You don't need an exit wound and blood to track, cause they can't go far without lungs-if they even move. I have never lost more than part of a quarter, and I don't eat lungs.

If you go with a traditional bullet, then just use the manufacturer's minimum expansion velocity and stay above 140 grains, IMO.

My limited experience is that people are a bigger problem than the size of the bullet.

I run a Berger 180 vld at 3000 fps. Its good to 1000 or more on the 1800 fps standard. The copper jacket has exited on everything I have shot inside 730. Usually leaves a golfball sized exit hole.

6 of 7 were one shot kills. My elk just stood there so I hit it twice more till he tipped over. 5 were long range shots at 430 caribou, 575 sitka, 575 sitka, 590 elk, and 730 coues. I shot a caribou at 100 yards and it left a baseball sized hole on the far side and I swear I saw it blow out chunks of lung. Same with a buck at about 125.

At 730, my 180 vld hit a coues deer quartering to hard. Went in and blew out a lung, liver, passed through his stomach out its side and blew a crater filled with stomach contents in his leg.

At 590, it blew out both lungs of my elk and had an exit wound. 180 grains was more than enough. A 6.5 mm or 7mm 140 wpuld have had the same ultimate effect.

My buddy, different rifle-same load, shot his elk at 1100 yards. Hit it twice before it moved and it walked a few dozen yards and fell over. Way further than I would shoot, but it performed.

My rifle is 11 lbs loaded and braked so I can spot my shots off a tripod.

Here is the coues shot. Looks like it hit in the back, but its the way the wake is. Look close and its a lung shot.

View attachment 243616View attachment 243618View attachment 243619View attachment 243620
That is some serious performance!
I am with you on the velocity aspect and understand that for sure.
Im also thinking about a standard 30-06 now as well. I started remembering why I bought my .270 years ago and may lean in a standard caliber now magnum direction. Have yet to look at any ballistics from the 06 yet assume it can deliver at 600.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That is some serious performance!
I am with you on the velocity aspect and understand that for sure.
Im also thinking about a standard 30-06 now as well. I started remembering why I bought my .270 years ago and may lean in a standard caliber now magnum direction. Have yet to look at any ballistics from the 06 yet assume it can deliver at 600.
A 3006 with a 168-180ish bullet will kill stuff all day long inside 600.

A magnum just flattens the curve and adds recoil and energy. More energy is unnecessary to kill. People may "feel better" but truth is they don't need it and the added recoil makes them worse shooters. I use a brake and ear pro with my magnum.

A 270 flattens the curve over a 3006 by using a lighter bulllet, but loses energy. It will still kill a bull hit in the lungs. Inside 600 it will do more than a 147 at 900... its enough for a marksman.

A 280 Ackley is the best of both worlds in a long action non magnum. Shoots a 168-180 at 270 speeds. You get flat and energy.

7 rem mag or 7 saum get you high magnum performance with a 168 to 180. More than enough for your needs. A 300 mag needs a 230 to match them ballistically but you don't need the extra energy, IMO.

For long range, having a flatter shooting cartridge is an accuracy advantage for wind and for distance errors. The real trade off is with recoil.