Looking for a new rifle…

Ophidian

Lil-Rokslider
I currently hunt on the east coast (whitetail) but ive been building points for out west for almost a decade.
I dont NEED a new rifle as my 7mm08 xbolt is great and could feasibly be used for anything I plan on hunting.

That being said, I do just WANT something new with a few preferences:
1) 6.5PRC (i like the caliber, its more than i need without being too much)
2) stainless/cerakote barrel threaded for a brake (no suppressors as I live in NJ)
3) ability to accept aftermarket stocks/barrels… I am a tinkerer so I want that option which is one thing my current xbolt does not really support.
4) I prefer a more vertical grip

My budget is sub 2k (id like to get close to 1000 if possible) as I am using a few guns on consignment to cover the cost.

Thanks

SloppyJ

WKR
I think you're stuck with a TIkka or a Bergara at that point. Tikka obviously on the Tikka footprint has more aftermarket options than ever and the Bergara is a Rem 700 footprint. Hopefully I don't need to say anything more about that.

There might be some that I can't think of but those two come to mind real fast.

OP
O

Ophidian

Lil-Rokslider
The bergara squared crest (I think thats the name) seems to hit basically every box for me so thats kind of where I was leaning.

OP
O

Ophidian

Lil-Rokslider
As nice as those S20 deals are, I will never buy another Sako after some horrible extraction issues I had with an 85 finnlite. Also their CS is god awful

big217boy

FNG
A buddy of mine just picked up a Browning XBolt Speed SR in 6.5prc for $1100 on Gunbroker. 20” barrel which is nice if you plan to ever shoot suppressed. He swapped the trigger spring with an Mcarbo spring kit and it prints sub MOA groups with several ammos.

The rifle doesn’t check all of your boxes but i was impressed enough by it to suggest it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Woitey

FNG
Eurooptic has the Sako S20 on closeout. In 6.5 PRC they want 999.00. That's likely less than cost. I expect it won't be there long.

SloppyJ

WKR
Yall missed the part about aftermarket stocks and barrel options. Sure it CAN be done but having a tikka or rem 700 footprint sure makes things a ton easier

TaperPin

WKR
The Christensen Arms Mesa has a stainless ceracoat barrel and muzzle brake. It’s a Remington compatible gun. The Scheels here has a used one in 28 Nosler for $800.

Either cut and thread a stainless t3x lite or get one of the Cabela's version Tikka that's cerakoted and threaded already for $100 off. Throw either of those in a rokstock and you're set. There's 75$ off Tikka factory rebate right now too.

You could also get a howa barrelled carbon action from brownells and get the 10% off codes and throw that in a carbon stockys for around 1000$ too. There's a discount code in the stockys vg grip thread 30rokslide or rokslide30

Last edited:

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I went through this exact scenario just a few months ago when I wanted but didn't need a 6.5 prc. I ended up finding an old model 70 in the back of my safe I never use.I ordered a custom stock, barrel, trigger, bottom metal etc for under 2k. I ended up going with a 8 twist .270 instead of the 6.5 for the nostalgia but if you have an old rifle you don't use you can do almost anything with it for 2k

OP
O

Ophidian

Lil-Rokslider
Re: the xbolt. I have one and I like it but I don’t want to get another one.

Re: the sako - as i mentioned before, I had a bad experience with one and it turned me off to ever owning one again.

jimh406

WKR
You can have guns Cerakote'd if that's what you want. Otherwise, that's pretty limiting. How about a Howa Oryx or TSP X? Other options are the AeroPrecision Solus rifles.

mt100gr.

WKR
How much fiddling and swapping are you up for? You could get a magnum t3x action and a prefit. Or you could buy a 6.5cm, rechamber and swap the bolt....unless you get one of the T3x models that come in PRC.

Jmort1754

WKR
Im pretty sure the Howa actions will fit the peak 44 stocks as well as they are more than likley a vanguard.

SloppyJ

WKR
I went through this exact scenario just a few months ago when I wanted but didn't need a 6.5 prc. I ended up finding an old model 70 in the back of my safe I never use.I ordered a custom stock, barrel, trigger, bottom metal etc for under 2k. I ended up going with a 8 twist .270 instead of the 6.5 for the nostalgia but if you have an old rifle you don't use you can do almost anything with it for 2k
What stock did you go with and who is doing the barrel work? I have a model 70 I'd love to do something with.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
What stock did you go with and who is doing the barrel work? I have a model 70 I'd love to do something with.
I went with Bansner. There is also McMillan, Brown Precision, Pendleton, Wildcat and Stockys told me theirs will be released by the end of the year. I'm having my local smith do the work, I've had good luck with him in the past and he said he has experience with the model 70s. Not sure what cartridge you are going with but the actions are all the same size the only thing you need to change for longer COAL is the mag and boltstop. On my PF LA I got 3.6 by drilling out the mag spacer and grinding down the bolt stop and it still feeds great

BCsteve

WKR
Re: the xbolt. I have one and I like it but I don’t want to get another one.

Re: the sako - as i mentioned before, I had a bad experience with one and it turned me off to ever owning one again.
If you're against a Sako you probably won't want a Tikka either.

leachguy

FNG
Tikka or Savage for me. Savages are about the easiest guns to barrel swap and there are quite a few aftermarket options. The 110 high country ticks a lot of your boxes.

Tikka or Savage for me. Savages are about the easiest guns to barrel swap and there are quite a few aftermarket options. The 110 high country ticks a lot of your boxes.

That is what I would suggest as well. If you plan on staying in NJ, a suppressor will never be in your future, so go with one of those two.

For the Tikka, the nice thing is it will shoot right away, you can get SS and if going with 6.5PRC and you reload, you can do a quick swap of the bolt stop and magazine and seat bullets out farther than you would be able to in a standard short action 6.5PRC.

For either of them, a Stocky's VG stock will meet your needs there too.