Looking for a THICK pillow

I sleep on my side and use two pillows when I sleep at home. I've never been able to get comfortable sleeping on the ground and the biggest issue is I can't find a pillow system like what I have at home.

Any suggestions?

Blandry

WKR
nemo fillo luxury.. packs down to the size of a nalgene.. well close.. its heavy but very comfortable price you pay.

doubt you will find anything as packable and comfortable

I'm also a side sleeper so you can pump the pressure as much as you need... though you will need very little with the massive foam layer. It also has a bungee system to layer clothing if you need more than the max pressure.

If you read the reviews you'll see a lot of people that can't stuff it into its integrated stuff sack or have issues with the valve.. ignore them.

I'm a nemo fan after they collaborated with first lite.. now I know they also contract with DOD for gear. I would buy everything they make

7.5 x 4.0

Specs & Sizing
Minimum Weight0 lb , 12.0 oz / 340 g
Packed Size7.5 x 4.0 in dia / 19 x 10 cm dia
Fill TypeAir with Luxury Foam
Thickness4.0 in
Dimensions20 x 11 x 4.0 in / 51 x 29 x 10 cm
1 more row

Last edited:
side sleeper. 6’3” Bigger guy with wide shoulders. I use at least two pillows at home.

I played around with my sleep system and pillows are tough. Here is what I use now:

I start with a sea to summit pad. I use their ether Light. 6 foot wide rectangle version. 4” thick. I place my pack at the head, off the pad. Pack frame up. I take a stuff sack Turned inside out. I put my inflatable sea to summit pillow in the bottom. Extra clothes and soft gear go on top. that gives me enough height be comfortable.

Trial153

WKR
side sleeper. 6’3” Bigger guy with wide shoulders. I use at least two pillows at home.

I played around with my sleep system and pillows are tough. Here is what I use now:

I start with a sea to summit pad. I use their ether Light. 6 foot wide rectangle version. 4” thick. I place my pack at the head, off the pad. Pack frame up. I take a stuff sack Turned inside out. I put my inflatable sea to summit pillow in the bottom. Extra clothes and soft gear go on top. that gives me enough height be comfortable.

This is some good advise I been doing the same.
Lately I been storing my bag in a Kifaru five string stuff sack .
I take my puffy and any other extra clothing I have and stuff the sack. I then take my pillow( Nemo Fillow ) and place that on the out side with the strings around it to hold it in place. At that point I wedge it up against my pack so it doesn’t slide off the pad.

OP
S

Are you saying that you put your pillow on top of your pack while sleeping?

valtteri

FNG
I have had the same problems, not getting enough height.

The setup I’ve now been using is I stuff my Exped sleeping mat inflation sack with my puffy jacket and other clothes, then put it inside a pillow case I sewed (the silnylon sack is too slippery and will not stay on my sleeping mat). This gives me the height I need. And the sack/pillow case stays outside my sleeping bag.

Then finally I put a Thermarest down pillow (https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/camping-pillow/therm-a-rest-down-pillow) inside my sleeping bag for more comfort.

This is the best system I’ve come up with so far, for no extra weight than the Thermarest dow pillow.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Western mountaineering pillow on top of my fleece or puffy is perfect. Side/stomach sleeper as well and need tall pillow.
Another pro tip… I also almost always sleep in a balaclava as well since beanies slide off dude to side sleeping and switching sides in the middle of the night. Warm ears and head make for a good nights sleep too!

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
I am a side sleeper too and have been quite pleased with the methods I picked up from my hunting buddy. Pillows are single use items this are twice as heavy. My down bad rides in a UL Sea2Summit dry bag that is not in use once sleeping bag is setup. I loosly stuff spare clothing like a puffy inside and wrap the outside with a fleece for comfort on my face. Inflate to desired height and firmness. Works awesome and doesn’t include anything Im not already taking.

I stuff a medium Thermorest foam pillow into a small down pillowcase, along with the down pillow that came with it (Comfy Down 800 fill Goose down travel pillow). Perfect side sleeper.

The My Pillow travel or roll and go. If you need the pillow to sleep, bring it. Good sleep is worth any weight penelty.

I haven’t tried the compressible but I’m planning on taking a look when I find one around. Lots of good talk about it.

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t tried the compressible but I’m planning on taking a look when I find one around. Lots of good talk about it.

Yea I think it’s the best camp pillow I’ve used. With that being said, I’m still on the hunt for something better.