Looking for good cartridge and budget rifle for 14 y/o

eric1115

WKR
I posted pretty early on this thread. I finally got my 6mm Creedmoor setup. It weighs about 8-8.5#. Had the kids shoot at 100yds and 400yds. Still think it’s to much gun for the 10y/o and for sure the 8 y/o. They shot well but it was crazy to see how much the recoil still moved them. My 15 y/o daughter shot it well. Wish I would have gone the howa mini 6mm arc route instead.
It is startling for sure. I've got a post in the kids rifle manifesto thread with video of my 14y/o shooting .223, 6ARC and 243AI and the difference between all three is substantial.

AkRyan

WKR
Ruger american v2 or tikka 7mm08 or a 6.5if that's your thing. This whole be his/her rifle for the rest of there life and it will kill anything in the lower 48 with ease

wabash503

Lil-Rokslider
You should check out 6 arc. Amazing little round that shoots heavier for caliber 243 bullets, around 2800 fps. Very light recoiling and accurate.

I have been playing with a howa mini 6 arc, with stockys stock. With scope it is a little over 5 pounds. Have not had my kids shoot it with the 108eldm, and probably wont. No question it will be too much recoil for them I honestly dont like shooting it much with those loads.

Hopefully with a heavier scope it will settle down some, current scope is about 12oz. Maybe add some weight to it also?

Had them (70ish pound girls) shoot some light vmax loads through it, none of them complained, but chose to go back to the 223 to shoot more. Surprising how much even the 223 moves them. But they run the bolt and ask for more when the mag is empty so it must be ok....

wabash503

Lil-Rokslider
I have been playing with a howa mini 6 arc, with stockys stock. With scope it is a little over 5 pounds. Have not had my kids shoot it with the 108eldm, and probably wont. No question it will be too much recoil for them I honestly dont like shooting it much with those loads.

Hopefully with a heavier scope it will settle down some, current scope is about 12oz. Maybe add some weight to it also?

Had them (70ish pound girls) shoot some light vmax loads through it, none of them complained, but chose to go back to the 223 to shoot more. Surprising how much even the 223 moves them. But they run the bolt and ask for more when the mag is empty so it must be ok....
What age are the kiddos? Still pretty young I would imagine?

You prefer the 6 arc over the faster 6mms?

Never shot one. I think id prefer it for relatively close range or higher volume shooting and definitely would prefer to put it in a kids hands.

I have similarly configured 223 and 6 creed Tikkas so a 6 arc would be too much overlap to justify unless it was in a different config.