Looking for guidance on WY elk hunt

You have a Comssioners Tag. Having never seen an elk in the wild, any 6x6 you see is going to have you creaming in your pants and wanting to pull the trigger. You need an experienced guide to make sure you bring home a bull worth the once in a lifetime tag you have. 99.9% of the time elk hunting shouldn't be about the size of bull. This is the .1% when it is. Most elk hunters will never have the chance you have right now.

mntnguide

WKR
Can about guarantee if you call Josh at Trails west and tell him what tag you have, he will go above and beyond to get you on a hunt. He has access to hunt many of the best areas around the Cody region. Both units you listed he hunts, along with others. You can talk to him about what time/and how much time you can take etc, and he can list out the best plan for unit to hunt etc. . I personally dont know Josh, i just know of him and he is highly respected in the outfitting circle for running a top notch operation. I know a couple of the guys at South Fork outfitters, and they definitely will go above and beyond as well, but they are pretty well focused on the 1 late area. . Boulder basin outfitters is also well known for the late tag as well.

I will say, i have hunted the late tags, and it can be incredible. Seeing hundreds of elk a day, and choosing your bull basically. BUT, every year is different. Last year was the hardest ive heard of for late tags. I knew people who had both areas you listed, and they never saw much for elk the entire season due to lack of snow. But, that is why going with an outfitter who can work with you etc, will only benefit this once in a lifetime chance for you.

mntnguide

WKR
Also, considering the actual Non-Res elk draw hasnt happened, you would be the first person to call an outfitter with a guaranteed tag in your pocket to book a hunt with for this year. Considering any of the late hunts are very low odds for max point holders, nobody is guaranteed to draw those tags

I could quote every post on here and say “This!”

But I’ll add something else. If you think a guided elk hunt is easy think again. Just because someone knows their way around and is familiar with the elk in that area doesn’t mean it’s going to be easy. Believe me… killing an elk is diy no matter who is pointing you in the right direction. By now I hope you’ve gotten enough feedback to make the right decision. It’s time to start a new thread called “Which outfitter should I book?”

Guided or unguided, get started training tomorrow. ill echo most and encourage you to get a good guide and make the most of this rare opportunity. another Point of info that would push me that way is it would be a rare 70 yr. old, that’s never hunted in the areas you have to go to find elk diy, that could do this day after day after day.

Wait...

Im not seeing any Wyo resident Roksliders to step up and help this guy?
A Resident can take this fella into some great areas and also have a great time...

Anyone??
This is the only comment that carries weight to the idea of not paying for a guided hunt. Cnelk is steering you in the right direction if you can make that happen. If you can connect with a resident who knows his shit in a primo unit AND is willing to drop everything to commit to putting you on a bull that is worthy of that tag then you might consider that.

My other comment is in regards to you saying you’d like a 340 class bull. All elk are big to a pilgrim like you. I guaranfrickintee that if a 310 inch bull popped out you’d drop it. I used to do the eastern outdoor show circuit. I had a respectable 6 point bull with my booth display. I used that one because it had removable antlers and was easy to transport. Guys would walk up to my booth all day long and say “I’d be happy with a 300 incher like that”. I’d say ok so you’re cool with paying me to shoot a bull of this caliber? They’d say hell yes! Then I’d tell them that the bull was officially scored at 260 and 3/8. Squeaked into the Pope and Young book by no more than the width of your pinky finger. If you saw a 340 bull I bet you’d swear it was a 400 incher. The hunters that have replied to your thread aren’t rookies. Many of us have been slaying bulls since you were in diapers. Enough said!

NoWiser

WKR
Area 100 DIY. Use the money saved from hiring an outfitter to extend your hunt a couple weeks so that you don’t feel any pressure to pull the trigger. Elk hunting isn’t rocket science, despite what some would have you believe.

wyosteve

WKR
I think you need to determine your priorities. Does the chance to spend time hunting with your father outweigh the 'mountain/wilderness' hunt experience? Will you have the time to prepare and arrange everything if you go on a DIY? Lots of questions which, when answered, will point in the direction you should go. I'm familiar with the units you're looking at and my choice would depend on what experience I'm looking for. Area 100 is great, but it's 'desert' type hunting very similar to antelope. Any of the Cody area units will be mountainous, wilderness style. Good Luck and congratulations on the tag.

To me the choice is:

1) a chance at a once in a lifetime kind of bull, or
2) a week with your father that both of you will always remember

I know which one I would pick, but this is up to you, Pilgrim.

There is probably a secret door #3 where you could go guided, hunt a private ranch, and kill a big bull in some comfort with your dad.

wyosteve

WKR
I'd also mention, keep in mind the parameters of the commissioner's tag. Each game and fish commissioner gets 2 elk tags to donate if I recall correctly, so there are about 15 more folks just like you looking at hard to draw areas for their choice. Also, it does give you the ability to choose your area, but it does NOT give you exclusive use of the area or the ability to hunt outside of the established seasons. If memory serves me correctly, they issue 75 tags in area 100, so if you decide to hunt there, you will be competing with at least 75 or so other hunters with the same tag and same ideas, i.e. hunt archery then rifle. If I were in your shoes, as the others have said, I'd go guided. You can still take your father along for the experience.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can about guarantee if you call Josh at Trails west and tell him what tag you have, he will go above and beyond to get you on a hunt. He has access to hunt many of the best areas around the Cody region. Both units you listed he hunts, along with others. You can talk to him about what time/and how much time you can take etc, and he can list out the best plan for unit to hunt etc. . I personally dont know Josh, i just know of him and he is highly respected in the outfitting circle for running a top notch operation. I know a couple of the guys at South Fork outfitters, and they definitely will go above and beyond as well, but they are pretty well focused on the 1 late area. . Boulder basin outfitters is also well known for the late tag as well.

I will say, i have hunted the late tags, and it can be incredible. Seeing hundreds of elk a day, and choosing your bull basically. BUT, every year is different. Last year was the hardest ive heard of for late tags. I knew people who had both areas you listed, and they never saw much for elk the entire season due to lack of snow. But, that is why going with an outfitter who can work with you etc, will only benefit this once in a lifetime chance for you.
I will second what @mtnguide is saying if you want to go the horse route. Josh runs a top notch outfit and has VERY happy clients every year. We get a LOT of them in the magazine and we read their stories.

I grew up close to 100 and can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that if you go that route you will see a LOT of elk. Honestly the hardest part for you would be judging them and if 340 is your goal that is going to be very tough to tell without a guide. One of the most deceptive things about those bulls is that they tend to be smaller bodied than the Park county bulls because they live in the hot desert. This effects field judging in a big way, main beams are a huge part of the score and a smaller body can be the difference between 45 inch and 52 inch mains.

IMO, and I have hunted all of the hunts you are talking about, it really comes down to whether or not you want to pay for the adventure of a horse back hunt or if you want to manage all of the logistics yourself. There is a lot of pride in that and 100 is a place where you could pull it off. If you want a week long adventure, saddling up and riding out every morning, seeing grizzly bears and of course a giant, heavy big bodied Yellowstone country bull then you know where to go.

Overdrive

WKR
Find an outfitter that has Bulls like this.
Don't hunt late seasons, the bulls will be busted up.
I'd go guided, I don't know of any Outfitters that won't accommodate a tag along non hunter for a reduced fee, mainly covering food and lodging.

Attachments

• IMG_20200823_140945.jpg
    IMG_20200823_140945.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20200823_140942.jpg
    IMG_20200823_140942.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 81
DIY requires gear, lots of gear, time lots of that too, and scouting. Pre season scouting for a tag like that and for a guy who’s never hunted elk. If you were to do it yourself you should be out there at least 10 days early to set camp, cut/split/stack wood. And hit the hills for a week before the season starts as if you were actually hunting. And what will you do with a wall tent and all that gear when you’re done? If camping isn’t in your plans how great will the memories of a hotel room be? The quality time with your dad will actually be much better on an outfitted hunt. See how it’s done by seasoned guides. Meet some really cool people and listen to their tales of past hunts around the dinner table and campfire. Eat/sleep/hunt/take pictures instead of scratching your head and asking yourself what did I get myself into while you’re too tired to make something to eat. And while any bull will make you happy go kill the biggest stud possible.

I’ve been hunting elk for over 35 years. Guided all types of hunters including friends. I have the best gear money can buy. And I think like an elk. I’d even go guided and that’s a HUGE statement coming from me. One you’ll never hear again. I’d be treating myself to what I’d consider a luxury hunt. It would be really cool for the guide too knowing he was guiding a killing machine too. In my eyes it would be like one of those all inclusive Caribbean resort vacations. Sure I could go to the beach on my own. I could stay in a hotel. I could even camp. But if I knew I could only go there one time in my life I’d splurge and go to a 5 star resort for sure.

One more thing… something you may not have considered. I’ve had clients book hunts AND hunt on their own. A guided hunt is only one week long. I’ve had guys show up and hunt before coming to camp hoping to get lucky and if not at least get used to the elevation and loosen up their legs. I’ve had some add extra time on the end of their hunt in case they didn’t kill a bull with me. By then they were acclimated to the area and they just completed a 7 day crash course in elk hunting. They already enjoyed the horse and camp thing and had plenty of pictures and memories. So they’d get a hotel and just concentrate on hunting. If they did kill a bull with me they’d go sight seeing, buy something for the wife, and fish some world class trout streams. Something to think about….. as if you don’t already have enough. Lol