Looking for rest and sight recommendation for a new bow.

MHWASH

WKR
I've decided to get into archery hunting to increase hunting opportunities. Rifle hunting will still be my main focus, but I want to have a back up option. That being said, I'm not looking for the best of the best. My end goal is to be able to kill elk at 40-50 yards. I'm pretty set on getting a PSE Drive NXT. I'm not going to go with the package deal, because I want to start out with equipment that I won't necessarily want or need to upgrade anytime soon. I'd rather spend my money on gun stuff. I'm looking at a budget of around $200 each for the sight and rest. I can't stand sitting in a blind, or a tree stand, so most shooting will be done from ground level.

I’ve had good luck with black gold sights. I’ve never used a sport Hogg before but I’ve heard great things about them.

For a rest, QAD and Hamskea have been great for me.

Are you looking for suggestions on specific models?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
What kind of sight do you want?
Fixed pins?
Single pin slider?
Multi pin slider?

The Hamskea rest are worth it to me. I had a trophy taker break while shooting. I use the Hybrid Hunter and you can find them used under $100. The Trinity looks even sturdier.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I saw a Spot Hogg Hunter in RH for sale for $100 in the classifieds. That's a good price for that sight used. I have three SH's in LH and love them. Tough sights. I also love my QAD HDX rest, I've been using it for 8 years this year without a problem.

Huntin_GI

WKR
Based on your budget and yardages, I would recommend a SpottHogg Hunter fixed sight, and pair that with a Hamskea Trinity. Both are absolutely bomb proof. You eliminate the concerns of dealing with a slider, and they will both come in under budget. If you wanna move the saving on the rest into the sight, I would recommend a SpottHogg Tommy Hog 3 Pin slider. Then you have more options down the road if you become interested in longer distances. Again, the Tommy Hogg took the brunt of a crash while crossing deadfall this past fall. Got back to camp and it still dailed and was accurate. Hard to ask for much more.

TX_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
That's just it, I don't know. Suggestions of specific models would be great.
Hard to suggest a specific model without narrowing it down to a style of sight.
Shooting from the hip, I'd recommend a spot hogg fast eddie 2 pin. You can find one in the classifieds for your $200 budget.

This video gives a good overview:

Brendan

WKR
Rests: I have seen multiple Ripcord and QAD Fail. All legit failures and not setup issues of which I've had plenty. I personally will only use limb-driven, with a heavy preference to Hamskea.

Here's a quick story for you: Last year I hadn't been shooting for a while and had a major brain-fart. Was drawing my bow with my handheld two-finger thumb release. A combo of not paying attention, sweaty hands, hadn't been shooting, and I lost a grip on it at full draw. I shoot a 73# bow at 29" draw and fired that release into the back of my Hamskea Trinity full speed. Release was toast. Multiple sessions taking it apart, hitting it in a belt sander, I'm convinced it will never be right again and it looks like hell. The Trinity on the other hand may have had a small mark on the back of it, and I was shooting less than 5 minutes later and don't even think it moved....

Sights: Spot Hogg and don't look back for me. Bomb Proof. 5 Pin with customized pin colors and sizes if you want. More expensive but worth it.

Having equipment fail on a hunt sucks.

I almost wonder if you aren't best to find the cheapest thing to start.

Put a simple whisker biscuit on, don't need to pay attention to your arrow, it will be where it needs to be.

Buy the cheapest 3 pin sight you can find.

Shoot the bow for a while, determine what you feel like you need out of it. No point in getting a fixed 5 pin when you decided that you really just want a single pin slider. Depending on how you hunt, you will find things that you find important.

Build your form, figure out what you need.

Of course, most of the premium stuff you can sell it for not that much of a loss. Any of the Hamskea rests you can probably sell and recoup what you had in it minus a biscuit.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
I've started using a spot hogg double pin. I moved away from an older 5 pin sight and will never go back. Maybe influenced by rifle shooting, but the lack of clutter/room for error is a game changer for me personally. I also would consider a single pin personally at this stage.

npro04

Lil-Rokslider
I’d look for a used Hamskea hybrid hunter or trinity. And then I’d find a used spot hogg fast Eddie either the double pin or 3/5 pin. Hamskeas and spothoggs are about as bomb proof as you can get so buying used wouldn’t overly worry me.

For value and ease of installation, I would suggest a Hamskea Primer or Vapor Trail Pro V rest.

If 40-50 yd shots at elk is the goal, I'd just go with a fixed pin sight with 3 or 4 pins. A slider isn't going to offer much of an advantage on sub-50 yd shots and can actually be a disadvantage when things happen fast as they often do when elk hunting.

Reactions: Zac
Been said well above a few times but you can’t beat the reliability of Hamskea- hybrid hunter micro or trinity can be found in that range, if you did have a chord fail or break you can still shoot off the rest .
Id find a used Black gold or Spott Hogg and make sure it’s got 3rd axis leveling.

WMag338

WKR
I've been super impressed with all my Black Gold Sights. They have one in every price range.

WMag338

WKR
Can't say enough good things about Hamskea rests also. Can pick up a used Trinity or a new Primer relatively inexpensively and have a bombproof rest.

TX_Diver

WKR
Hamskea Hunter Micro adjust is my favorite. I've switched bows a few times in the last few years but just move that rest from bow to bow.

I like the MBG 3 pin slider with the double pointer (mountain lite I think) but Spott hogg is good too.

I've used Black Gold sights for years and their customer service is excellent. I beat the heck out of my bow and I've damaged my sight twice (my fault both times) and they fixed it for free and sent it back, no questions asked. In fact, my dealer sent it in for me both times and I never had to pay a cent in shipping or repairs.

This year, I upgraded to the Black Gold Ascent Verdict with the "dial of death" and 3 pins. At $280, it's expensive, but I love it. I set the three pins at 20-30-40 and dial in anything longer. I highly recommend it.

Zac

WKR
You could do a Black Gold Rush, with a Hamskea Primer, your never gonna meet your goal of 200 for both. The Drive is an awesome bow.