LOS, Cut Charts, Inclinometer.....getting the most accurate data

Wanted to ask others their techniques or tools for getting a solid Shoot For number. I run a Leica 1600-B. Maybe 9 years old. Been very reliable and quick. But there are often time where it's COMPLETELY flat looking to my eye. Just had an antelope hunt and ranged several goats. Flat across the prairie it may show "488" then flash a Shoot For "456" or similar. Might not be a huge deal in that scenario. But +/- 30 yards at 800 is going to be a big deal.

Other times ( I run Ballistic AE....as I am old and have used it for some time and I've very familiar w it) I can set my phone on a turret and allow the phone "level" to adjust. I would certainly NOT put much credibility in this method. But I've done it.

But I quickly found holes in my game in Hunting situations. What I SEE and witness in a lot of my travels and watching YT.....everyone really seems to rely on Prone or not really adapt their skills beyond.

I've shot some local Steel matches. Many were 90% prone'able scenarios. Shit really changes on the prairie when you don't have all day to dick around and find a prone shooting position, then dick with angles, bipod legs, etc.

You've just crawled 2/3 of a mile and your hands are shit housed, knees screaming and you've got 2 feet of Sage. You're not shooting prone, nor are you measuring all sort of angles.

Other than trusting the Shoot For of the instrument...am I missing things or techniques? What do you all do in these situations?

Antares

WKR
Flat across the prairie it may show "488" then flash a Shoot For "456" or similar.

If you're above example are real numbers, something is wrong with your rangefinder. I have to put a 22 degree angle into my solver to get that kind of difference between LOS and "shoot for" (using my 6.5CM profile). I don't think you're missing anything. I think the technique is to trust the angle compensation on your rangefinder and you have appropriately identified that something is wrong with you're equipment.

Do you have a buddy with a rangefinder? If so, range some stuff side-by-side with his unit and yours... that should answer the question pretty quick.