Marble Mountains (CA) Roosevelt Hunt

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy and I have both been drawn for the Marble Mountain hunt. He has a bull tag and I have a cow tag. I've hunted deer in the area, but it's been 20 years since I've been up there. We are planning on a half dozen (or more) scouting trips before the September opener, but anyone here have any experience in the area? We are not interested in hiring a guide or paying for access. We have access to stock if necessary, but are also willing to pack it out.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. PM's are fine.

This will be my last California elk hunt. Sadly, I missed the draw about 10 years ago so I have one less than maximum points, so I burned them hoping for a cow tag. Even that wasn't a sure bet! I have three more years until retirement, and then my wife and I are moving away from here for good. No use putting in for more points.

Marble

WKR
I know one guy that drew it this year. It's a great zone with huge Rosie's. Good luck!

polemtn

FNG
Yeah it should be a great hunt. Its a big unit. I've spent alot of time in the upper Trinity area but that area is more deer than elk. I killed a bear deep in the Marbles some years ago and saw a bit of elk sign on that hunt so i think i'll start my scouting there. My kids all have B tags so we're gonna spend some weekends in some different areas scouting. If anyone has any current info on the elk herds they'd be kind enough to share. I'd be veryy appreciative of that!

Marble

WKR
If you listen to Elk Talk. Thru had pod cast with angry spike productions on Rosie's. To sum it up..

Their range is small.
If you find a fresh rub, they are probably close enough to hear you bugle.
You will not br glassing much at all. Its so thick there I've only spotted elk 1 time.
The bulls we have killed there were called in with a cow call, or a bugle. But they were all are called in. Stop at each corner on logging roads, especially the head and over looks of large canyons and sound off and with a call combo.
For scouting, get a mountain bike to get behind the SPI gates and look for fresh sign. If you find fresh cow tracks, bulls will be there too. These elk do not migrate and are in their home turf 24/7.
The bulls are huge. Plan on a mature bull being close to 1000 pounds.
The area is thick and formidable, but like in the pod cast, these elk will find a little estuary of mostly flat, not too thick ground and be there frequently.

polemtn

FNG
Thanks for the help. RosinBag, thats the area I was thinking about starting in. It was around Cuddihy where I killed a bear years ago.
Calling may be tough with this tag as its late Oct. early Nov. (strange that its after the gun season).

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went with a rifle tag holder. We saw elk just a half mile up the trail head and all around Ukinom.

530Chukar

WKR
Not sure where the elk are now. The 2017 fires burned 3/4 of the wilderness so they’ve got the feed scattered everywhere now. There is an outfitter on the west side that takes quite a few rifle hunters in. I talked to the OP after their hunt and they both did get animals but not until the last day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
Thanks for the help. RosinBag, thats the area I was thinking about starting in. It was around Cuddihy where I killed a bear years ago.
Calling may be tough with this tag as its late Oct. early Nov. (strange that its after the gun season).
Well I'm confused as the first post talked about the season starting in September which is general rifle/archery combined for the last several years.

And as far as all the animals leaving the area because if the fires, that not true. I scouted the trinity center area October last year and found an entire herd in the same areas they have always been.

polemtn

FNG
I'm not the OP. I have the Marble Mountains 303 Muzzy/Archery tag. Season is 10/26-11/3. I was just hoping to get a little info from the OP about his hunt.
Marble, would you mind sharing a little more about the Trinity Center herd? I'm not familiar with that area. PM ok,

so .. i was the alternate for marble mountain bull tag this year and jsut got the call that i now have a tag...with one week to prepare.. how did you do. i have a ton of great info coming in but would love to hear your story