Marlin xl7

Anyone have one of these rifles.. the marlin xl7?

it’s has taken many deer, it’s my only 3006. It’s a cheap rifle. I think I paid less the 400 for it. I think I get caught up in the price of it and think it’s “junk”?? But shoots straight and weighs less the 8lb scoped.

wonder if anyone else has one and what they think.

OutdoorAg

WKR
I have an XS7 in 308. It doesn't get shot much any more, but its a heck of a rifle for the money.

These were the Ruger American's before the Ruger American.

i bought an XS7 when they first came out. it was my first centerfire rifle. mine was 7-08. nothing bad to say. i like it better than the savage axis or ruger american, and it shot really well. i didn't keep mine long but had nothing to do with the rifle, i just wanted something else.

the irony of that was my next rifle was a ruger M77 stainless synthetic, and it turned out to be the worst shooting rifle i have ever been in the presence of. the barrel heated up a little and it literally wouldn't stay on paper.... it was bad. it shot fine cold bore, but went to hell fast.

i lost money on that one, because i had to be honest to the potential buyer, and think i let it go under half price... he got it dialed in though, free floated the barrel and bedded it. the trigger on the XS7 was way better too.

a Tikka was next, and i kept that one for awhile ;) ended up gifting it to my sis in law, she still has it and has killed a pile of stuff with it.

nothing wrong with the XL/XS7, for the money they seem to be great. i don't have a ton of rifles, so the few i have i want to like and appreciate. i didn't get rid of the Marlin for any practical reasons, i just wanted a couple nicer rifles.... took me a few years to get there, and there is only 1 critter between then and now i wouldn't have killed with the XS7

Bought one for my son years ago. Great little rifle. Shoots less than an inch with most loads. Don't think of it as cheap...think of it as value.

If you want to upgrade, why not throw a Boyd's stock of your choice and a really nice scope? You'd have an accurate rifle that fits you perfectly and will take care of any big game in North America.

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Marlin's X7 centerfires were a great bargain and it is a shame that they were killed off in favor of the 783 Remington. My experience is with a stainless .270 and .30-06, I would buy every one I could get my hands on if I could find more.

MHWASH

WKR
We have 2 in our house. Great rifles for the price. Ours have accounted for several deer, coyotes 2 moose and a cow elk.

*zap*

WKR
Probably a great firearm, I do not own one. You really do not 'need' to spend thousands on a firearm.

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had 2 XS7’s (one .308 and one 7mm-08) both were excellent and I shouldn’t have let either one go... seems to be a common thread for me and firearms!