MATHEWS CAM BEARING ISSUES

krisn416

WKR
So these bearings are high quality than the stock? I have an older Vertix that I need to replace them
I don’t know that you’ll be able to tell a difference unless the factory ones go bad, but cheap insurance to throw some better quality Japanese replacements in and not have to think about it. Japanese generally equals decent quality. Chinese generally equals different levels of mediocre IMHO.

kevf

FNG
So these bearings are high quality than the stock? I have an older Vertix that I need to replace them
I went myself with bearings feom Amazon as I was unable to confirm the quality would really be higher. I looked for made in the USA bearings or bearings from a known brand, and was unable to confirm the quality would justify the price... Long story short, I paid $15 for 10 bearings, so I have spare in case.

The best bearings manufacturers are SKF, Timken, NSK and a few more. Quite a few website are just reseller of Made in China bearings, which is what Mathews uses at first...

You can pay a higher price, but may end up with the same bearings as another seller at the end. They are easy to change, my advice is to keep spare ones, and review those every 1-2 year. It is easy to tell of they become toasted as they don't rolled smoothly when you turn them with your fingers (with the cam removed).

Racinray

FNG
My VBX bearings were a breeze to change .
Now if only someone out there has any insight on replacing the AVS bearings. And what kind bearing puller setup will work.

kevf

FNG

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230211_115515_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230211_115515_Chrome.jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 8

Wyobull

FNG
I’ve had my hands on more Mathews than probably everyone in here combined so I’m pretty confident I can say it’s not the bearings being bad as it is user error. As Billy Goat has mentioned over tightening of the axle screws will damage the bearings. And it doesn’t take much over tightening either. Won’t matter where they’re made if you do that it will ruin them.
I'll take this bet all day. Mathews dealer for 16 years I've had my hands on more then a couple LOL. And it is people doing things they maybe shouldn't, just because a screws feels loose doesn't always mean you should tighten it up.

These the same bearings used on the older solo cams as well?

I don't think so.

Around the time Mathews came out with the SW cams they also increased the Axle diameter.

Don't know when, but I think something like a switchback has 3/16" axles and the Vertix might have started the 1/4". Or somewhere in the 10 years between those bows it switched.

Thanks
I’m needing some parts for a sbxt rebuild and have to go thru dealer.I wish you could at least order the parts thru mathews,there getting paid either way.

Mathews said I need a new idler wheel and cam because bearings were not replaceable in my sbxt.
I got them out in 30 seconds without damage to cerakote.

Last edited: