Mathews can bearing failure - lesson learned

bigW

Lil-Rokslider
I would guess 2000 first cam, another 500 or so later the other cam started doing the same thing. I am at 29.5 at 75 lbs. thankfully my friends over at Scheels took cams off of bows to just replace mine on the spot. One of them went bad couple days before a hunt we were going on.
pretty much the same KE here - 31" DL, but only 67 / 68 pound ...first one (bottom cam) failed after approx. 8,000 shots - got both cams replaced, and another 3,000 shots and now the top cam is gone (luckily I still had the top one from the first incident, but knowing that this one has already 8,000 shots I don't expect too much).

bigW

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious, what did you experience
That made you look in to it? Excessive noise at the shot, a squeak or creaking during the draw? I own a vxr 28 and just want to know what to watch for if need be.
in addition to the clicking noise you will likely also loose a few FPS (suddenly you miss low, and left or right pending on which bearing starting to fail)...can be stretched cables, but also a sign of failing bearings;

at a later stage of the damage the NBR seal cover will come loose and you can see it over the top-hats.

If the bearing is totally collapsed you will have extreme cam lean, your yoke might touch the cam. You still would be able to shoot the bow as the cam is now pivoting just around the axle, but you risk derailing and destroying the axle and cam beyond repair and I guess your accuracy will go down the drain.

Eta:
an easy test without having to take the cams out - if you have a bow press:
put the bow in the press and just get some slack in the cables and the string, just enough so that you can rock the cam a little bit.....their shouldn't be any wobble, binding, noise, tilting, play....

Last edited:
wasn't there another thread on this?. Just ordered new strings for my vertix think I'm going to make the jump and do this. thx for the heads up

wasn't there another thread on this?. Just ordered new strings for my vertix think I'm going to make the jump and do this. thx for the heads up
Just did it, just like in the youtube video with the same parts he usedand bearings he linked. super easy just be sure to use some grease to help them pop back in