Maven B3 vs Nikon HG 8x30s

ljalberta

WKR
Looking to pickup a new pair of 8x30s, primarily for archery elk and deer hunting where I won't be using a tripod. I currently have ordered a pair of Nikon HG 8x30s which should be here sometime next week, but the Maven B3's have also caught my eye. Ordering them to Canada and returning them can be a pain in terms of recouping customs costs at the border, although I noticed Maven does a trial run program. I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare these two options in the 8x30 packages and what your thoughts were.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
Iv Thought about demoing the mavens, but also being in Canada the shipping both ways would suck. Plus there’s to many binos in this price range. Meostar, b2’s, Nikon hg. I’m sure there are more mid tier choices. Makes it tough when you can’t put eyes on all of them.

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR
Thanks for the insight Ryan. I'll stick with the Nikons. Looking forward to getting my hands on them. I was really considering the new Companion CLs as well, but then a sale on the Nikon's made the decision a little easier.

I've had both. Kept the mavens. They just feel better to my eyes. Both are very nice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Elk Horn

FNG
Never tested the Nikon HG 8x30. But, I love my MAVEN B3s. Great glass for the price point with an unconditional lifetime warranty.

OP
L

ljalberta

WKR
I was going to order the Demo B3s to compare, but it was $70.00 CAD just in shipping so I decided to pass on trying the Mavens. Initial impression of the 8x30 HGs are pretty good. I like the construction, the diopter, and the weight. The large FOV is quite nice as well.

I don't love the eye cups as they don't screw off, nor are they as they as comfortable as my SLC eye cups in terms of fitting my face. The depth of field/focus (I'm not sure the correct term) is noticeably less than my 10x42 SLCs. They do have a smooth, and fast focus though which is good for moving quickly through the range of focus.

The only other bino I currently have with me is my 10x42 SLCs which are obviously different animals, but I hope over the course of the year I'll be able to compare them to other 8x30s. I'll likely take the 10s on the spring bear hunt, but I'll bring the Nikon HGs down to South America for a month or two this summer and hopefully should be able to get a better idea of their performance in terms of watching different wildlife.