Max Cow Tag Price

BigBird69

FNG
What's the most you'd pay for a cow tag? Anyone going to pay the Wyoming special rate (~$2k) for a cow tag?

$800ish I think. I do think if you were looking to hunt one of the best areas in a state, somewhere you'd never get to hunt otherwise because a lifetime of points couldn't get you there, a cow tag could be a cool way to experience and possibly worth the price of admission (2k)

OP
B

BigBird69

FNG
$800ish I think. I do think if you were looking to hunt one of the best areas in a state, somewhere you'd never get to hunt otherwise because a lifetime of points couldn't get you there, a cow tag could be a cool way to experience and possibly worth the price of admission (2k)
Agreed and I've done exactly that for several max points units in Wyoming. After every one of those hunts I felt sorry for the people waiting decades to hunt that unit for a bull. None have been worth it to me. I've had the most fun in general units and easier to draw units.

Felix40

WKR
That’s a good question. I definitely am not down to pay what most states are charging. I can shoot one for $60 at home. I think a cool unit or unusually good area I could be convinced to go up to the average asking price of say….$800. It’d have to be super cool though.

Purdue

FNG
Great question, one Ive wrestled with since CO raised their price. CO is now almost $800, include travel and supplies from the Midwest and that hunt is around $2000. That becomes a little tough to swallow for this blue collar guy.

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
If someone just wants to get a cow, there are guided private land, guaranteed tag options for around or perhaps even less than the $2000 mark. Not quite apples to apples, but just a thought.

Jethro

WKR
I don't know what my max is, but our group discussed cow tags and the $2k. Nobody wanted to do it first choice and blow points. Even if that ensured a tag. Ultimately we decided not to even take a shot at $2k 2nd choice cow tag.

I do know people that are in for type 4 special though.

williaada

WKR
I don't know what my max is, but our group discussed cow tags and the $2k. Nobody wanted to do it first choice and blow points. Even if that ensured a tag. Ultimately we decided not to even take a shot at $2k 2nd choice cow tag.

I do know people that are
Personally, a 2k tag is tough to swallow, but if this mean I can take my children on an easier hunt. I would be inclined to spend the money on a tag.

williaada

WKR
I hear you. I'm in for a $2K tag. Just not a cow tag.
If the rest of my group had the money, I would be there as well. Granted I have some people who don’t want to do the PP or wait until last minute and miss the draw. I have enough points to draw on my own, but I like to hunt with those in my group.

Gbfan

FNG
2024 WY regular full price cow fee this year. That's my official limit. Never paid that much for a cow elk tag and it may be the only year I do so.

Fatcamp

WKR
Honestly, tag prices are just getting past where I feel like it's a responsible choice financially.

To spend that money to visit those places without a bunch of people roaring around on UTVs and covering the landscape has much more appeal. In fact, we are traveling to the area we hunt in Wyoming this March to explore and camp so long as the weather cooperates. There won't be anyone else there.

That said, we have our eye on a cow tag and will probably spend full price to get it.So I guess $700, but I have yet to actually spend that.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
When I first stated hunting cow Elk on reservation tags were $600, last year was $950. On top of that you have guide fees. If you don't live close, which I don't, add lodging, meal, fuel, and anything else you may want or need. If you don't process your own meat add another $200-$400. You may top out at $2500+- when all is said and done.

I mean I probably spend $1k easy on gas and food to travel to another state and hunt for a week.
Sure it hurts, but if I feel that may be the only opertunity I get that year. Id consider paying.

Ive considered paying 3k for land owner tags/hunts for a solid opertunity for my lady to punch a tag.
Luckily I had a buddy hook us up for free.

Unit wide landowner tags in certain areas of New Mexico have increased from $600-800 a few years ago to as much as $1600 in 2023.

That’s DIY.

Plus the license fee from the state of about $500.

And I would pay that much if I didn’t have another elk hunting option for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk