Max range with fixed pins.

TwoTikkas

WKR
Being that I hunt western PA woods,40 yards is a long shot. But,when I shot IBO, I ran all fixed pin rigs. As mentioned, you can get creative with pin placement. It can get crowded in some sight housings. Between 60 and 80 yards is doable. I use to have a big balloon shoot at my range every summer. 10" balloons at 100 yards was within reach. I did have to dial my gang adjustment down though.

I never shot at game past 45. Never had the need. As some of the above posts show, fixed pin sights are capable of hunting at extreme ranges. Too many other variables involved for my personal skill level, but I admire those that do it.

87TT

WKR
I used to have a 5 pin fixed and shot a bedded elk target at 84 yards at a 3D shoot. The target was behind the bubble. I now use a MBG Ascent Verdict 5 pin slider. I shoot my first arrow every day at 100. Usually 3 or 4. I don't practice moving the slider until I get past say 65 yards.
But I do and did practice shooting fast at 30 down to 5 which came in handy this year when a spike tried to run over me. I also shoot at either a 3D target or a solid color target without aiming dots.

1 what sort of range do most people start to max out at for practice(I know this is a can of worms)?

2 What distance does gaping the pins become impractical for hunting. Not saying I would try that distance.

3 what do others do who only want to shoot moderate distance hunting but would like to practice longer to improve.

1. 50 yds. After that, too much can happen.

2. Anything less than 10 yd increments begins to get crowed awfully quick. I use 2 pins, one at 30 and one at 45.

3. Decrease your target size at the normal ranges you would hunt and shoot at. Same thing as shooting at farther distances, i.e., a pie plate at 60 yds will look like the same size as a tennis ball at 30.

*zap*

WKR
I think if your new to archery you want to ingrain proper form/execution into muscle memory and focus on that. The farther you shoot the more your mind focuses on keeping the pin on target and the less it focuses on proper form/execution. Personally I think that when you reach the max range you can keep approx. 1" to1.25" per ten yards grouping for 90% of your shots your at the current max range. 5-6" @50 for example. I think if your shooting 8" groups @50 there is nothing to be gained by continuing that. Probably better to step back to 30 and shoot 3-4" groups and focus on form/execution. It takes many, many perfect shots to form perfect muscle memory and not so many to loose it....
I see guys at the range shooting @ 50 and they miss a 3'x4' bale sometimes and group 20". I always wondered why they keep doing that and never step back to basics.....
I guess my reply may be somewhat off topic...
Anyway, I set my pins at the gap I want and shoot to see where they hit then I know the yardages. Hunting whitetail in the woods/fields the max shot I will take is 40 yards, in ideal conditions/circumstances.

OP
M

Mtrain

FNG
This is helpful thanks. I have noticed that I get consistent at a given range and then sometimes seem to deteriorate a little as Im concentrating on aiming like you said. I’ve been shooting almost solely at 60 for the last six weeks or so and noticed I was getting a little punchy. As you said I need to come a little closer for a bit. Also does anyone else find if they are shooting groups of five they regularly get three out of five close and then the other two a little further apart. Not total fliers but just three might be within a couple of inches and then the other two are a couple outside that. Say Three within three inches at fifty and then the other two blow the group out to six inches. It’s not the same arrows each time. Just something I’ve observed.

*zap*

WKR
You can # the arrows with a sharpie on the fletch and shoot them in order. Keep track mentally of which shots feel off and check vs the #'s. Also keep track of which direction the fliers are off, up/down or left/right and try to figure out if your form is slipping. Left/right could be wind.