McGregor Mulie

Hi all,

Just wanted to share this nice little dude that closed out my 2019 season. I drew the McGregor range tag and was on range by 5am and at the CWD station by 11. Last years hunt was right in the middle of the rut and this guy was knee-deep in does to even notice me above him. Shot was at 140 while he chased a line of does up a hillside out of a ravine bottom. High spine then one behind the ear, which made the CWD girls go wide-eyed when they got the sample.
IMG_4060[1].JPGIMG_4061[1].JPG

Lytro

WKR
And people wonder why they can't find or see mature mulies, anymore. This picture pretty much sums it up.
I've hunted this area off-range in the past, and this is a pretty good buck. These deer are a desert sub-species and don't typically grow to be giants like you see in the mountains. I wouldn't be surprised if this was a 4 1/2 year old deer.

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on a successful hunt & your buck. Thanks for sharing. Personally I wish some people would just keep their negative comments to themselves on here. This should be a place where we as hunters all support each other, whether we kill a giant or not.

OP
TFAvalanche
I was pretty happy with him plus I hunt for meat not racks so I just try and fill the tag I drew. I grew up in this area and I agree it’s a pretty typical buck for the area. A lot of desert mulies down here cross with white tails also so the genetics can get a little awkward. Headed to 16 in two weeks maybe I can appease the opinionated with the next one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
TFAvalanche
Cross with white-tails? From where?

As in where did the white tails come from? They are all over Texas to include the Edwards plateau area and I imagine they came from there.

The warden at the CWD checkpoint was the one who told me they cross with white tails, I suspect they move east via the Guadalupe mountain chain into the mcgregor area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk