Meat! brand Grinder

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
Going to grab the 1HP model and a foot pedal.

Just spent days grinding up a lamb with the kitchenaid...
You won't be disappointed and will question yourself for not doing it sooner. I started with the least expensive Weston grinder for several years, it worked but what a difference upgrading to the Meat 1 hp grinder. Its was a great investment.

OP
D
Great reviews everyone. I definitely need to upgrade my grinder. My little Cabela’s grinder that could just won’t die. I painfully processed 6 animals with it last year and pretty sure even the neighbors suffered some hearing loss. 😄
I helped a buddy that had a new #12 LEM and left with serious grinder envy……yeah it’s a thing, look it up 🤣🤣🤣

Grinder envy is a thing. I definitely wore hearing pro whenever I used my "grinder that won't die", but what pushed me is seeing the bearded butcher dudes use their 1.5hp model and they could have a conversation while grinding. Compact/countertop friendly grinders are just waaaaay too loud. If i only processed 2 deer per year, I'd still be using the old grinder. But making hot dogs, summer sausage and grinding 5 deer and a couple pigs a year is too much for it

Guys, just picked up the 1hp with recent sale. Watched a video of some guy using it and could barely keep up feeding the thing. Before purchasing I had thoughts about getting the 1.5 hp grinder . Didn't want buyers remorse getting something "underpowered " . From what I see the 1hp is a beast. I don't think I would have needed to go any bigger.(usually 5 deer and sometimes an elk a year) The 1.5 hp weighs like 75 lbs. Someone had placed a code hunter15 plus 25%of price was a pretty good deal. I told a buddy and he ordered one as well. Thanks for above info

OP
D
Guys, just picked up the 1hp with recent sale. Watched a video of some guy using it and could barely keep up feeding the thing. Before purchasing I had thoughts about getting the 1.5 hp grinder . Didn't want buyers remorse getting something "underpowered " . From what I see the 1hp is a beast. I don't think I would have needed to go any bigger.(usually 5 deer and sometimes an elk a year) The 1.5 hp weighs like 75 lbs. Someone had placed a code hunter15 plus 25%of price was a pretty good deal. I told a buddy and he ordered one as well. Thanks for above info

If MEAT! offered a 1HP at the time of purchase I would have gotten it. 1.5hp is basically a commercial grinder for a small butcher shop. You might even be able to get away with a 1hp in a small butcher shop.

Now that MEAT! has a 1hp model, you'd have to be grinding 500# + per year to justify getting the 1.5HP model. The 1.5 model chewed through 30# of meat on the first grind in like 4 minutes(this was as fast as i could feed it). The 1HP model might take 4.5-5 minutes

Jrrrrr

FNG
Did you have any problems getting the Hunter15 15% Discount with the 25% Off Sale Price?

Did you have any problems getting the Hunter15 15% Discount with the 25% Off Sale Price?
Right before I ordered I found the 15% code and used that without issue. I got the $700 1.5 hp for about $500.

My grinder just arrived literally about 30 minutes ago and I unpacked and took a look. The feed tube and heads/blades are much larger than the Thunderbird 1.5 I typically rent. The size of the motor and body seems about the same. I'm very confident it will outperform the Thunderbird which is about double the price. Hopefully that larger feed tube doesn't stress the motor too much. It's FAR from a commercial machine. Maybe be OK for a small restaurant, but even small-scale processing of one beef a day it wouldn't last long. Looking at the 1.5, I'm glad I didn't go any smaller; I don't think 1 hp would've been large enough for me. I have a musk ox in the freezer that I'll get to hopefully in the next few weeks and then at least one moose in September and wife has a moose tag for December. I plan to give this thing a decent test over the next 9 months or so!

My one very big remaining issue is that I couldn't buy parts from them. I contacted them right after I made my purchase and tried to see if I could buy a replacement blade and they simply said they don't offer them. It would be covered under warranty, but that's not very helpful if I have 400# of moose ready to grind and need to wait a week for the part.

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
My one very big remaining issue is that I couldn't buy parts from them. I contacted them right after I made my purchase and tried to see if I could buy a replacement blade and they simply said they don't offer them. It would be covered under warranty, but that's not very helpful if I have 400# of moose ready to grind and need to wait a week for the part.

Pretty sure I once read somewhere that blades and plates are fairly universal. You should be able to pick up a different brand in the same size and it should fit. Haven't done this yet though to verify for certain.

@Jrrrrr yeup, got it. Was already planning on checking with the butcher supply store in Anchorage when I run into town next. No need to spam the thread!

Just is always better using items designed for the machine IMO. And I was literally begging them to take my money to make it easy but no luck. Just seemed silly but I understand company policy is policy.

bwuebbels

FNG
Classified Approved
Grinder Review

MEAT! 1.5hp #32
Of the 3 grinders offered by MEAT!, I would only consider buying 2. the "small" #8 and the big #32. Both units are the only grinders I would consider.. The compact #12 will be LOUD... It looks near identical to my old #8 compact unit.. Hearing protection is basically required for those compact units. The #32 i got is very quiet. I can have a conversation without yelling while the unit is running.

I've processed 4 deer and 1 pig with this unit. I have not and will not be using it to stuff sausage. I have a vertical stuffing machine because I do make a lot of fresh sausage, summer sausage, and burger so I will not be reviewing those pieces.

Fit and Finish

The biggest draw for this unit is that its ALL stainless. the throat piece, auger, blade, and plates. All of the pieces (aside from the motor) can be put in the dishwasher. I will caveat that by saying that you should do your best to clean out any remaining meat, fat, and grizzle before running through the dishwasher. The grinder unit as a whole weighs 70#... Let me say that again 70#. Most of that weight comes from the fan cooled electric motor. Its not exactly what we'd call a "portable" unit. The main throat body casting seems decent in quality. It's thick and HEAVY too. On my unit there must have been a void in the cast and it was welded up and re-machined, but it was a good looking repair and does not worry me. There aren't any acute or small corners inside the unit that would lend themselves to be difficult to clean. The auger fits well and the gear fit on the motor body are not sloppy or too tight. The blade is a single piece of metal and has 4 blades ground into it and seems to be wearing nicely with the cutting plate.

Performance.

I already stated it is a quiet unit even though its a monster, I don't need hearing protection. I can even have a conversation while its running and not have to yell or repeat myself. I know all the tutorials say to chop your meat into ~2" cubes but I don't see the need to do such a thing. On average I'm dropping pieces 5-8" long 2" wide and 2" thick into the mouth on this thing and it eats it up. On first grind operations i just about can't feed the beast fast enough. While it may be rated at 20ish pounds per minute, I think that rating comes from having meat chopped up into the tiny squares and having a 2nd set of hands to keep it filled and using the 10mm plate. My unit chewed through ~35.lbs of whitetail meat in 4 minutes 10 seconds while grinding with the 4.5mm plate. This is a huge step up from my old compact unit.. My guess is the the .5 hp Meat! grinder would perform the same feat in about 10 minutes which is still a step up from a compact unit. My main reasoning for the #32 is multiple grinds. Bigger throat means its not as hard to feed ground meat thats getting tacky. Even on 2nd and 3rd grinds, this unit performs at very reasonable speeds

Closing Thoughts

If you are only doing single grind operations and processing less than 400.lbs a season... Get this unit https://www.meatyourmaker.com/proce...lkid=a4e71481fb3b19c63f6e7508beffebf8&start=1

IF you need process more than 400.lb and/or do multiple grinds for things like hot dogs and summer sausage then this unit will do well for you. I don't forsee ever needing another grinder.. This will last a long long time
Thanks for the reviews! I am looking for a grinder and this was extremely helpful!

Jrrrrr

FNG
Just got the 1.5 .
In this picture...Am I missing anything, in the empty spot in Styrofoam next to meat plunger?
Does something belong there?

Attachments

• 20220515_001436.jpg
    20220515_001436.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 13
Also: there is an empty spot behind plates?
I have then 1 hp. There are empty spots in the foam. May be used to pack different models ? Put it together and make sure it's all there .if not I'm sure they would make it right