Sharpen Your Meat Grinder Plates and Blades!

JakeSCH

WKR
I am late to the game on something obvious but I have been using my meat grinder for 4 years and never sharpened the plate or blade. Last year I noticed that the second grind started getting mushy and mixing the fat into the meat. This produced a spongey / springy texture in all my ground and sausage.

Initially, I assumed I let the fat get to warm and started freezing the first grind to nearly frozen and it worked better but not like new. I was getting ready to order a new blade or get a new meat grinder, I decide to research around.

The obvious answer that I was missing: Sharpening your plate and blade...so simple and makes the world of difference. Second grind is 2 or 3x faster and nearly no fat rendered out in the process.

Took about 5 minutes to sharpen and produced a perfect product. All you need is extremely flat surface and wet/dry sandpaper. I got away using my granite counter top but will buy a piece of glass for the future.

Hopefully someone else can learn from my ignorance.

i have 4- 4" x 10" wet stones 600g 1000g 4000g and 8000g . I have a surfacer for the stones so i get 100% plate contact across the surface of the stone. Generally 1000g does good enough to keep my grind plate and knife sharp.

The sand paper method isn't great. Everyone should have a 600 and 1000g stone at minimum. The 4k and 8K stones will get your knife edge mirror edge. I'll use those 2 stones for my infrequently used knives and broadheads. A mirror polish edge will stay sharper longer.. My kitchen knives don't get beyond 1k grit because my wife is hard on knives