Meateater buys FHF

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
I have grown less interested in MeatEater as a whole but enjoy most podcast as long as Ben o Brian isn’t on it, like others have said hope stone glacier isn’t next, Kurt and crew can handle their own

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
This tread reminds me of kids in High school with their favorite band, when the band is half ass and starving and nooned knows about them they love them. As soon as they get contract, and enough other people know about them and like them, well now they suck.

For me I am glad to see some new money put into outdoors companies, I hope all the parties on both sides of the deal do well and prosper. Even better knowing that company is conservation minded and pro hunting and fishing. Despite the new influx in marketing, I find the content interesting, entertaining and nuanced enough to keep my attention.
I hope they keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Ian Ketterman

Lil-Rokslider
I have grown less interested in MeatEater as a whole but enjoy most podcast as long as Ben o Brian isn’t on it, like others have said hope stone glacier isn’t next, Kurt and crew can handle their own

I am out of the loop, I keep seeing a disdain for Ben O'Brien. What exactly am I missing? All I've listened to of him has been on the ME podcast and I haven't heard anything to make me cringe or grimace.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I am out of the loop, I keep seeing a disdain for Ben O'Brien. What exactly am I missing? All I've listened to of him has been on the ME podcast and I haven't heard anything to make me cringe or grimace.

Different reasons... It can be hard to put your finger on. He seems like a good guy, probably a great husband and father...but at times it's hard to see what exactly he brings to the table, or what he stands for. His podcast is usually about having discussions on a wide range of topics. Open dialogue. It can be thought provoking at times, but the dropping of multiple f bombs when talking about something like books on nature and conservation is head scratching and (to me) unnecessarily crude.

Rinella has strong beliefs and opinions that he stands for, while still having an open mind and asking questions, O'Brien acts like a river. Winding and flowing down the path of least resistance, while never giving listeners anything solid. Take a stand for Gods sake man, ask the hard questions!

But to be fair, I have enjoyed some of his podcasts and guests. Others I can't stand.

KHNC

WKR
Now that they have the Meatcrafter with Benchmade, and the fancy dancy shooting iron with Weatherby, I'm wondering if they will partner with Vortex for a MeatEater game spotting bino, complete with an FHF harness?
FHF did partner with Vortex at one point with a harness. Thats when i got mine from them. Went to alaska guide gear after that i think. Should have stayed with FHF. Very solid product.

Gobbler36

WKR
Different reasons... It can be hard to put your finger on. He seems like a good guy, probably a great husband and father...but at times it's hard to see what exactly he brings to the table, or what he stands for. His podcast is usually about having discussions on a wide range of topics. Open dialogue. It can be thought provoking at times, but the dropping of multiple f bombs when talking about something like books on nature and conservation is head scratching and (to me) unnecessarily crude.

Rinella has strong beliefs and opinions that he stands for, while still having an open mind and asking questions, O'Brien acts like a river. Winding and flowing down the path of least resistance, while never giving listeners anything solid. Take a stand for Gods sake man, ask the hard questions!

But to be fair, I have enjoyed some of his podcasts and guests. Others I can't stand.
All of this plus he pretends to be the ethics and moral police, he just rubs me the wrong way. These are strictly my opinions only though.
The same kinda goes for Janis especially when he posted the BLM blackout pic on Instagram telling everyone to go to the polls this November, historically they have been against virtue signaling but I guess it’s ok as long as it continues this narrative that it’s the white mans fault that more minorities don’t hunt and fish (that was mostly in reference to an article they published)

Last edited:

pirogue

WKR
Anyone remember the Eddie Bauer versions of the Ford Explorer and Expedition? Kind of a strange combo IMO, but this kind of stuff happens all the time.
Eddie Bauer used to a lot more outdoors oriented, and then started going downhill. Way before the Explorer, I had a couple Eddie Bauer sleeping bags. They were decent bags for the era.

Eddie Bauer used to a lot more outdoors oriented, and then started going downhill. Way before the Explorer, I had a couple Eddie Bauer sleeping bags. They were decent bags for the era.

That's what happens when VC/investor money is involved. $X in requires a return. The meateater you knew is not/will not be the same for good or bad depending on how you see it. Some people choose to cash out instead of building things up, nothing wrong with it considering everything.

ODB

WKR
This tread reminds me of kids in High school with their favorite band, when the band is half ass and starving and nooned knows about them they love them. As soon as they get contract, and enough other people know about them and like them, well now they suck.

For me I am glad to see some new money put into outdoors companies, I hope all the parties on both sides of the deal do well and prosper. Even better knowing that company is conservation minded and pro hunting and fishing. Despite the new influx in marketing, I find the content interesting, entertaining and nuanced enough to keep my attention.
I hope they keep up the good work.

there is truth in this, and I think what the fans dislike most is when the band (or meateater) strays from the original concept that they connected with. Iron Maiden has never lost fans because they have remained basically the same since their first huge album (number of the beast) - it’s just more of the same. With meateater, at the start i seemed to be all
About the adventure, the hunt, etc, when that seemed to shift into being about selling shit, I think that’s where the rift started. Meateater is as big/popular as its ever been, but I’d be willing to bet 95% of those people watching now got on board well after the mass media campaign.
I told a story elsewhere about many years ago when I emailed Steve to get a copy of AB signed to my brother. He emailed me his address, I sent him the book, he signed it and mailed it back. That ship has long since sailed. But it was the “he’s like me” that made sense back then, the strategic partnerships and industry swaps are light years away from me, and so sails the ship...

I amazed anyone cares. I buy gear that meets my needs...period. Who owns it or promotes it has zero impact on my purchasing decisions. I guess I'm not the fanboy type.

FlyGuy

WKR
Guy has a tremendous brand that he’s worked his ass off to build. Has a killer podcast and great following, so yeah - why not rep your own clothing and gear? The collaboration on the knife and the rifle is a Brilliant move too. Free advertising for benchmade and weatherby on the most popular hunting podcast in the market, and rinella and co get a cut of the take. And it’s not like he’s pushing shitty gear. It’s genuinely good stuff that will serve any hunter from beginner to advanced.

It’s fun to speculate on who’s next tho... Heather’s Choice? Phelps? Food processing equipment producer?

You can’t cheat the mountain