Members opinions of the Winchester Mod. 70?

SDHNTR

WKR
From an engineering standpoint, round actions have real advantages. They are easy to manufacture and heat treat evenly. It’s simple to true/square and get all of the threads concentric to the bore. It’s very strong and seals well in the event of a case failure. It self centres in a V block style chassis, making bedding largely irrelevant. Headspace can easily be adjusted using recoil lug thickness, so chambering is simple.

In execution, Remington does it poorly…but there are many good 700 clones. They will never have the positives of a fixed ejector, CRF, or safety mounted on the bolt…but they can be very good.
No argument there kind sir! I have several clones that are very good.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
PF’s have that.

PF’s have that.

PF’s have that.

PF’s have that.

PF’s have that.

PF’s have that.

PF’s have that.

Only if it is timed and fitted correctly, which most are not, and only if debris doesn’t get in the system- because that big open extractor is extremely susceptible to getting locked up with ice/snow and/or mud.
The DG guide piece is a non sequitur- that community is very traditional, and are not exactly at the forefront of testing and experimentation. A much better view is that not a single CRF has passed legitimate military reliability MRBS/MRBF in the last 30 years- and they have been tried. The last public one should have been an outright slam dunk for CRF if they were better- the Canadian Ranger rifle trial- which Sako/Tikka won. There have been others.

Do you know this from actual legitimate testing against the rifles that I posted? Or by heresy and lore?
I’m not going to take the time to address all those… my comments were based on a 700 comparison, which is the most common PF and I think what most people first think of when push feed comes up. I should have clarified. You are right, many of those issues have been rectified with other push feed iterations. I own several and like them all. But they won’t go on a brown bear hunt with me. My Model 70’s will!

You sure like to argue. Sorry, right or wrong, in my mind and for my purposes, what a veteran DG guide takes into the field hunting carries more weight to me than military specs or testing. Obviously, you feel differently. Keep on keeping on amigo. There’s room for both of us.

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m not going to take the time to address all those… my comments were based on a 700 comparison, which is the most common PF and I think what most people first think of when push feed comes up.

Then yeah! 👍🏽

You sure like to argue.

No, actually not at all. Text is a poor median for real communication. I was just addressing your declarative statement that CRF is better.

Sorry, right or wrong, in my mind, what a veteran DG guide takes into the field hunting carries more weight to me than military specs or testing. Obviously, you feel differently. Keep on keeping on amigo. There’s room for both of us.

I genuinely like good classic actions, and they can certainly be fantastic.

SDHNTR

WKR
Form, just curious, what’s your favorite 700 custom action clone?

Make mine a Borden.

And have you had a chance to fondle a CRF optioned Defiance? Thoughts? I haven’t, but the idea intrigues me.

I also wish the Ed Brown 704 had gained more traction. Ever played with one of those? I have two in the Thompson Leh iteration and I really like them. 700 footprint, CRF, big claw, but without the full length extractor. They aren’t perfect but the two I have have impressed me, especially given the price point.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, just curious, what’s your favorite 700 custom action clone?

Make mine a Borden.

ARC Mausungfield, ARC Archimedes, ARC Nucleus…. In that order. There’s a trend… grin

The Achilles heel of all is the 700 pattern triggers.

And have you had a chance to fondle a CRF optioned Defiance? Thoughts? I haven’t, but the idea intrigues me.

I haven’t, and they might be decent, however they still use a 700 trigger and that is just one piece that I can’t get behind. The Mausingfield might be the best, or one of the best designed actions on the market, and yet he didn’t change the MF’ing trigger.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I also wish the Ed Brown 704 had gained more traction. Ever played with one of those? I have two in the Thompson Leh iteration and I really like them. 700 footprint, CRF, big claw, but without the full length extractor. They aren’t perfect but the two I have have impressed me, especially given the price point.

Just messed around a bit with them quite a while ago. As you said they never really caught on.

SDHNTR

WKR
Ahh, those funky looking jobbers. I’d consider a Mausingfield if it weren’t for that butt ass ugly bolt knob! Looks like a tinker toy or something. Is there an option to change that out? I’ve heard nothing but great things from everything ARC, I just can’t get past the aesthetics. Too traditional, I guess.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
Ahh, those funky looking jobbers. I’d consider a Mausingfield if it weren’t for that butt ass ugly bolt knob! Looks like a tinker toy or something. Is there an option to change that out? I’ve heard nothing but great things from everything ARC, I just can’t get past the aesthetics. Too traditional, I guess.
You can swap to any knob that pleases. Many options.. 1642116198942.jpeg

Did I show you this experiment ’Form? It did quite well in my abuse trials. 😆1642116198942.jpeg

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
Resprung X Mark, sides milled out to open it up. sub 2lbs, what finally stopped it was wet fire pit ash and then freezing. other than that it kicked butt.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Resprung X Mark, sides milled out to open it up. sub 2lbs, what finally stopped it was wet fire pit ash and then freezing. other than that it kicked butt.

That’s interesting. Ice/snow and powdery sand does most in, and then the kicker is none can be truly drop safe.

SDHNTR

WKR
Wait, looks like a Ruger safety upon closer zoomed inspection. FrankenboltCRF?

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m stumped, I think I see elements of a few different actions there. Looks mostly M70, but not entirely.

Looks pretty perfect to me. It has a claw extractor, it has a three position safety, what more does it need no matter where it comes from, lol?

Interested what it is though.