Members opinions of the Winchester Mod. 70?

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
Form, just curious, what’s your favorite 700 custom action clone?

Make mine a Borden.

And have you had a chance to fondle a CRF optioned Defiance? Thoughts? I haven’t, but the idea intrigues me.

I also wish the Ed Brown 704 had gained more traction. Ever played with one of those? I have two in the Thompson Leh iteration and I really like them. 700 footprint, CRF, big claw, but without the full length extractor. They aren’t perfect but the two I have have impressed me, especially given the price point.

The Borden bumps fixed a major defect in bolt alignment on 700s that is caused by the trigger. You can watch the bolt tail drop down when the trigger releases. Why square the bolt face if it’s not in alignment due to upward pressure from the trigger? Borden bumps fixed it.

For the money, I run a Stiller…but there are a ton of great actions. I want a Mausingfield…some day.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
The Borden bumps fixed a major defect in bolt alignment on 700s that is caused by the trigger. You can watch the bolt tail drop down when the trigger releases. Why square the bolt face if it’s not in alignment due to upward pressure from the trigger? Borden bumps fixed it.

For the money, I run a Stiller…but there are a ton of great actions. I want a Mausingfield…some day.
Trigger drops. Bolt face is hit with 60k psi. Tell me what surfaces you want in alignment..

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There’s a model 70 stainless classic in 375HH. The other one is a Remington 700 xcr2 also in 375HH.

I agree the Remingtons aren’t perfect but that one sure shoots well.

Attachments

• AC46EF06-0C4B-4E14-A41D-C9FFC652FD4E.jpeg
    AC46EF06-0C4B-4E14-A41D-C9FFC652FD4E.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 29

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
You want a legit FrankenMauser?

bct6Yad.jpg

• Zastava stainless steel action and barrel
  • Ruger canoe paddle stock
  • "Tactical" scope (blasphemy on a CRF rifle apparently)
  • Iron sights that "wreck barrel harmonics"
I have better pictures on my laptop. Will post later.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Yes there were the Zastava, CZ, Interarms and even Remington branded Mauser clones, but still, Shaen's is none of those. Still stumped.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
Yes there were the Zastava, CZ, Interarms and even Remington branded Mauser clones, but still, Shaen's is none of those. Still stumped.
It’s nothing more than a mid fifties M70 coated by Birdsong. 😆😆 It will probably find its way into the classifieds if I don’t build something.

SDHNTR

WKR
You cheated! You made it sound like it wasn’t a model 70! The lack of tooling marks across the top of the receiver fooled me into thinking that was a post 64 classic. Did they get ground off or just hard to see with the coating?

handwerk

WKR
Between my 3 adult kids and I we own many model 70's, almost all pre 64's.
I've tried to like other rifles but always failed, the old model 70 always wins out, so I stopped looking elsewhere.

Shooter71

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious, why the Teflon over Cerakote?
I didn’t have to do it! Actually it was done to use as an example of their work. The colors look better in person and I feel it’s superior to Cerakote, although the elite series is pretty good.

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in a 35 Whelen and love it. If it weren’t a 35 Whelen it would be a 338 win mag. And if I were to buy a 2nd it would be between a 280 and a 7mm-08.

SDHNTR

WKR
I didn’t have to do it! Actually it was done to use as an example of their work. The colors look better in person and I feel it’s superior to Cerakote, although the elite series is pretty good.

What makes it superior?

SDHNTR

WKR
What makes it superior?

My only complaint with Cerakote (done properly). Is that it thins out on edges pretty quickly. Is the Teflon any better in that regard?

.577NE

FNG

What makes it superior?
I have two M70's in .375H&H, one pre-64, one post, both are very fine shooters. Another M70 EW in .243 is "as accurate as any rifle". I wished I could find the latter in 30.06 or .308.

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
You want a legit FrankenMauser?

bct6Yad.jpg

• Zastava stainless steel action and barrel
  • Ruger canoe paddle stock
  • "Tactical" stock (blasphemy on a CRF rifle apparently)
  • Iron sights that "wreck barrel harmonics"
I have better pictures on my laptop. Will post later.
That is a badass rifle right there