Merino boxers

Scooter90254

Lil-Rokslider
Merino boxers are the way to go if you’re going to be in them for a few days. Brand doesn’t really seem to matter as long as it’s quality merino.

ericwh

WKR
Smartwool 250 is a good fit - snugger, shorter legs, and lightweight - super thin actually, but they have held up.
Ibex Woolies and Stoic are also a good fit - slightly looser, longer legs, and heavier weight. They also have sort of a seamless waist band design compared to the smartwool.
Icebreakers have super short legs and ride up on me. At least for me, they are not a good fit. Also lighter weight. The waist band is in the style of smartwool but not as wide - so I'd say that's less comfortable as well.

I prefer the fit, waist band, and seam layout on the Ibex and Stoic. Rarely does the weight bother me.

K

Kootenay Hunter

Durability was mentioned. How are washing them? Like normal clothes? +90% merino wool should be washed with neutral pH wool friendly (woolite) not regular detergent and hung to dry. If you're washing normal and throwing into the dryer, you'll lose the lanolin oil which keeps the fibre soft and supple and the elastics won't last nearly as long. On thin wool fabrics like boxers, losing elasticity will mean rips and stretching. Some wool items can put up with the abuse, others can't.

exofficio loose fit boxers - much more comfortable than ANY of the specialty undershorts and they seldom if ever stink

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
So glad I found this thread.

I picked up some duckworth brand off camo fire for $15/pair they are 40/60 merino/poly blend but so far they are amazing and breath 1000% better than my poly UA briefs. Definitely going to stock up on more.

Anyone know when some of the other brands run sales? I get updates on stuff from FL and camofire but would be helpful to know when smart wool, minus33, etc. go on sale. Still can’t stomach paying $30+ a pair so looking to save a buck when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
Durability was mentioned. How are washing them? Like normal clothes? +90% merino wool should be washed with neutral pH wool friendly (woolite) not regular detergent and hung to dry. If you're washing normal and throwing into the dryer, you'll lose the lanolin oil which keeps the fibre soft and supple and the elastics won't last nearly as long. On thin wool fabrics like boxers, losing elasticity will mean rips and stretching. Some wool items can put up with the abuse, others can't.

Interesting I didn’t know that. I was wondering if I should use the special wool washes or not. Now just getting my wife to take my merino stuff out of our normal laundry is a different challenge entirely...

So glad I found this thread.

I picked up some duckworth brand off camo fire for $15/pair they are 40/60 merino/poly blend but so far they are amazing and breath 1000% better than my poly UA briefs. Definitely going to stock up on more.

Anyone know when some of the other brands run sales? I get updates on stuff from FL and camofire but would be helpful to know when smart wool, minus33, etc. go on sale. Still can’t stomach paying $30+ a pair so looking to save a buck when I can.

Smartwool & IceBreaker usually have their sales in January

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone know if the black ovis brand merino boxers sizing issues has been shored up? Last time I ordered an XL that fit like a slim L. Wanting to pickup a few more pair wondering if I shouldn’t get one or two sizes up.

jdeanwvu

FNG
I run the FL wick boxer when its hot and the FL kiln Boxer when its cold. They have been great in all scenarios.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
back to update anyone that was following or researching this, have tried the exofficio boxers since last summer after a buddy of mine swares by his duluth, they are the exact 93% nylon 7% spandex. i really like the exo's compared to my pure merino wool icebreakers and tested them all last summer running in the evenings on how much they breathe and smell, and also everyday wear up until now. Recently i purchased the duluth cuz they had a sale and i will tell you the duluth and exofficio boxer briefs are identical feel and touch and identical feel and performance, the only difference is the waistband and no benefit either way to them. The Exo's are much cheaper unless you find a sale on duluth. I also bought a couple pair of the Duluth armachillo for warm weather and i'll take them over any of the others in warm weather for my summer runs and early season hot hunts, so any of you guys hunting hunting 80plus weather should check those out also.

Superdoo

WKR
I bought one pair of Duluth's years ago because I went through a fanboy phase...
They were nice until about the third wash. Like most things I get from them, they shrunk up considerably. Went from ballroom to closet room. Never wore them again!

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one pair of Duluth's years ago because I went through a fanboy phase...
They were nice until about the third wash. Like most things I get from them, they shrunk up considerably. Went from ballroom to closet room. Never wore them again!
i haven't found that problem w/the duluth or exo's and i'm right on the fence between med and large sizes and bought both so i'd know. Now the armachillo are tight like a more spandex or athletic undershorts, but the boxer briefs none of mine really shrank after atleast 20 plus washings.