Merino Wool Care

Do any of you use certain detergents when washing your merino wool layers? I have seen detergents made for wool, but was curious as to what some of you guys/gals use.

jmez

WKR
I use regular detergent on mine. I always hang mine to dry, never goes in the dryer. I haven't had any issues with mine.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've used regular Tide, but mostly Sportswash because I wash all my hunting clothes in that. And I generally hang dry. People say that merino takes forever to dry, but just hanging it in my bedroom it will be pretty dry after just a couple hours. If it was in the sun it wouldn't take much time at all. I've never gone to bed with wet merino base layers on while elk hunting, but they always get soaked with sweat throughout the day.

Poser

WKR
I use whatever my GF buys, wear a lot of merino through multiple seasons that gets washed a lot due to getting sweaty. I’ve never noticed any degradation due to washing.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I use regular detergent on mine. I always hang mine to dry, never goes in the dryer. I haven't had any issues with mine.

Same here. I tried keeping them separate but my hunting base layers got mixed into my work base layers years ago. I've never had problems from washing them, I just wear them out from use.

Wrench

WKR
I've run mine through the washer and dryer without penalty.

Closer to season i try to use scent free detergents, but my fat ass will smell regardless of me using $.35 or $7.00 a load soap.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I use All brand “free and clear” pods. You can tumble dry low or hang to dry. I wear first lite merino wool almost daily in the fall and winter at home and to work. Zero issues.

WyoBC_99

FNG
Nikwax makes some good technical stuff, but also check out Kookaburra which replenishes the natural oil (lanolin?). I've had good luck with both - I just avoid the dryer!

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bottle of Nikiwax wool wash but gringe every time I use it. If I'm washing a full load of both mine and my wife's merino I'll use it, but if just a couple items I'll usually just throw them in with a normal load of clothes with the cheap tide or whatever liquid detergent we have. I'm a couple years in with quite a bit of use.

Hondo

WKR
I have been using Atsko Sportswash on all my hunting clothing (merino and other) for years. When I was out of state all I could find locally was Hex Performance Unscented Detergent and I was impressed with it so I have been using it on daily active wear including merino socks & t-shirts. I always hang dry my merino and store in containers or a cedar closet.

I've been tempted to try out the Granger's Merino wash due to the cedar extract for moth deterrence. Has anyone tried it?

OP
switchback7
I have also looked at Granger and wondered if it was worth it, or just buy some wool detergent at my nearest dept store.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
Is that baaaaaaad?

Ha, no, it's not, but it will catch you off guard the first time you experience it.

And even worse when you wash your merino and your wife walks into the room with the drying racks and goes "what the hell is that smell?"

Poser

WKR
Anecdotal evidence that you don’t need to worry about it:

I have a FL neck gaiter in ASAT that I bought in 2014. 6 years later, it’s been out well over 100 days of scouting and hunting. On top of that, I wear it snowboarding 60+ days a season. Occasional use on alpine bike trips as well. Because it gets used a lot, sweated in a lot, worn 24-7 for 10 day stretches a lot, it gets washed a lot with no laundering precautions. It has 1 minor run.

When I am home, it is regular "hunting laundry" soap and let it air dry. On extended hunts (2 weeks) I will wash it using whatever soap I have (ex: bar of soap) and let it air dry.

No issues doing this with Sitka merino, Kryptek merino, and Kuiu merino.