Mid-size SUV or wagon options

Maybe it's because I do so much urban hunting, but if I were starting from scratch (and if it were a dedicated hunting vehicle), I'd take a good look at the
John Eberhart MWOD.

What does MWOD stand for, you ask?

Mommy Wagon Of Death

View attachment 679586

https://youtu.be/J_pwNPsz9-Q

Pros:
- You can get a hybrid to save on gas
- No one, I repeat, No one, will bat an eye if you park on the side of road to get stealth access
- You can sleep in it to save on hotels on long trips
- Can take the HOV lane w/o too much scrutiny
- Lots of cargo space for coolers/meat hauling/gear
- Probably increases your odds of getting private access if you roll up to the ranch in this bad boy
- Every hunt is a "youth hunt" if you play it right
- Lots of outlets/power sources so you can charge your devices, run OnX on the Nav system, etc.

Cons:

- Cost of testosterone pills you might need to take just as a precaution
- AWD, but not 4WD. Not sure how well it will do in the mountains.

I can't be the only one thinking of this...

Yeah, it's a Mommy Wagon. But, of Death, people.

OF DEATH.:D
I know we laugh, but lots of truth here......

UncleBone

WKR
I would go with the porsche cayenne. I saw someone mention the e63 amg wagon. That would certainly satisfy your need to punch thr accelerator. 600hp will do that. But I would never take that offroad.

I know we laugh, but lots of truth here......
I'm telling you. I do urban hunting in Northern VA and MD. The number of times I wish I'd had a Mommy Wagon to park in a nondescript cul de sac vs a hunting rig in order to access public land. I have to believe with increasing suburbanization in the west, and the urban elk/deer population, that we're going to see similar dynamics there. The ability to go "Grey Man" while accessing public land would be worth the price of the minimal conversions.

I'm a preacher's grandkid so I can say this:

Put a logo on there of a non-existent church, say "Third Elkpiscopal Church of St. Mathews and the Hoyt Ghost" and you can camp ANYWHERE; McDonald's, office parks, schools, churches, etc. Closest thing to a cloaking device or stealth paint that's commercially available.

You'd have to be driving triple-digit speeds in the emergency lane to get pulled over by the PoPo. With an effective range of 500+ miles per tank, with a buddy as copilot/navigator, the entire country is your back 40.

Yeah, I've thought about it, ain't gonna lie..:ROFLMAO:

2024 4Runner … last year of production
Tops the CU list of most reliable vehicles
Just traded in my Jeep GC for one, after it left me stranded off-road and had to be towed …
(Jeep is a 4 letter word)

2024 4Runner … last year of production
Tops the CU list of most reliable vehicles
Just traded in my Jeep GC for one, after it left me stranded off-road and had to be towed …
(Jeep is a 4 letter word)
I am kinda Meh on that vehicle. I thought I would like it more. I rented A TRD in NC last summer for work. I don't know, fit and finish it was way off from our Highlander and was actually comparable to my old Corolla as far as that went. I know it's capable and I had always wanted one too, but I was just not impressed.

I will agree with you on the Jeep thing.....although other than my rear end blowing out on a hunting trip last year, and about a month later (after a new $2k rear) burning to the ground it wasn't terrible....lol.

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at them pretty hard and almost picked up a cx30. I'll agree, Mazda's fit and finish is great and they are quick, but they felt a bit cramped for me. @bigunit , if you do get a Subaru, get the 2.5 liter. They are not quick, but they will get you there.
Any know issues with the 2.4l turbo?

TSAMP

WKR
Maybe it's because I do so much urban hunting, but if I were starting from scratch (and if it were a dedicated hunting vehicle), I'd take a good look at the
John Eberhart MWOD.

What does MWOD stand for, you ask?

Mommy Wagon Of Death

View attachment 679586

https://youtu.be/J_pwNPsz9-Q

Pros:
- You can get a hybrid to save on gas
- No one, I repeat, No one, will bat an eye if you park on the side of road to get stealth access
- You can sleep in it to save on hotels on long trips
- Can take the HOV lane w/o too much scrutiny
- Lots of cargo space for coolers/meat hauling/gear
- Probably increases your odds of getting private access if you roll up to the ranch in this bad boy
- Every hunt is a "youth hunt" if you play it right
- Lots of outlets/power sources so you can charge your devices, run OnX on the Nav system, etc.

Cons:

- Cost of testosterone pills you might need to take just as a precaution
- AWD, but not 4WD. Not sure how well it will do in the mountains.

I can't be the only one thinking of this...

Yeah, it's a Mommy Wagon. But, of Death, people.

OF DEATH.:D
I bet a guy could find one of those old chevy ASTRO Safaris. They were 4x4 and looked way more manly, still checks the stealth box.

Edit: The Safari was the GMC version. Not the rabbit hole I expected to go down today on the internet but here we are.

Last edited:

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
How about a lifted awd Sienna? I know a couple high schoolers here are using them for skiing/camping/mt biking. They converted them themselves. Kits are available.

Yooper

WKR
How about a lifted awd Sienna? I know a couple high schoolers here are using them for skiing/camping/mt biking. They converted them themselves. Kits are available.
A guy I used to work with did this same thing. Kind of chuckled when I saw it, but the more I see it the more it makes sense. Pretty solid workhorse there.

Fire_9

WKR
I saw one when I was in Bozeman a couple years ago and it actually looked pretty sweet. I talked with the guys buddy and he said it's an extremely capable vehicle. It definitely got me thinking about one

I used a van as my “truck” for awhile. My parents gave it to me but it would have cost $3500 instead of $15K+ for a comparable truck. Got significantly better gas mileage, good power and adequate towing (V6/3500#).

Considering I see truck owners using their trucks as insanely expensive Civics for 95+% of the miles a truck never made any sense to me. With that said when you need a truck any one of these other vehicles just don’t get the job done.

ridgefire

WKR
I have a Subaru Outback with the 3.6r and it has plenty of power. I use it for hunting, fishing and camping and it gets me way more places than it should. It ends up getting way more use than my F250 does.

OMB

WKR
OP has already rejected the idea, but for everyone else reading this thread another vote for the Crosstrek. My Tacoma just got the frame replacement and while that was all in prep and under way I was driving our kids' Crosstrek through the fall hunting seasons. A lot of time it was just the dog and me with a shotgun hunting birds and it was surprisingly nice to do it in the smaller package. I have a hitch and hitch basket for it and I never needed more space than that, even when camping or w a carcass to haul. It was kind of eye-opening but I guess not that surprising when I remember how much I used to be able to do w/ a beater Corolla back in the 90s when I was young, poor and less cautious. Some have discussed the Audi Q series---be careful with those--very cushy inside but it is not a vehicle that is easy to McGyver away from civilization. My wife drives a Q7 and it is shocking how difficult it is to do anything to it other than add oil.
Q series is really great until it's time to pay the bill after an offroad trip gone awry. We have a pair of Volkswagen Atlas (Q7 dressed down) and I've been more than happy with mine. Can throw the dog and a pile of gear in without having to fold down the second row. The cargo space in that platform is pretty absurd. I've had mine in pretty much every condition I would throw at any other vehicle between the Continental Divide and the Great Lakes with Michelin Cross Climate 2's and I'm happy.

Underrated feature is that I look like just another yuppie from the burbs when I'm out hunting, and when I'm home, 30% of the vehicles in our area are black/white/gray Volkswagen or Audi SUV's. Also $25k cheaper than driving a GMC Sierra Denali pavement princess that won't haul anything more than a stroller and a goldendoodle.

TSAMP

WKR
I bet a guy could find one of those old chevy ASTRO Safaris. They were 4x4 and looked way more manly, still checks the stealth box.

Edit: The Safari was the GMC version. Not the rabbit hole I expected to go down today on the internet but here we are.
Guys I found one in the wild today. Cleannnn

Attachments

• 20240316_145254.jpg
    20240316_145254.jpg
    475.2 KB · Views: 21
If you looking a subies you need to at least consider a Toyota rav4 hybrid. 40 mpg. They area great car speaking from experience.
Had to trade in my RAV4 Hybrid because I knocked the wife up too many times. Loved that car. Good gas mileage, boringly reliable, great for urban snow or crappy country/forest roads. Never tried it in the roughest possible conditions in big mountains though.

Had 03 outback 3L 6cyl that was awesome. Got rid of it at 300k miles for 07 outback 2.5 L turbo. This car was the worst car I ever owned, constant problems but it did keep going and going. Scared me off subaru though. Replaced with 2012 toy highlander. Hit 3 elk after having only 2 months! Took a beating from insurance but finally replaced with 2011 highlander. Curiously this one seems to be getting a solid 3 mpg more than '12 version.... I love the roominess inside, the 3.5L/6 cylinder has a little bit of towing capacity and doesn't whine about driving up mountains. Haven't been off road much in it yet... does not drive like a sports car but I hope it will last a while

Attachments

• 20240307_115711.jpg
    20240307_115711.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240219_113457.jpg
    20240219_113457.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170502_132810.jpg
    20170502_132810.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 10
We rented a Mitsubishi Outlander. We took that thing down some trails that it shouldnt have made it down as easily as it did.

Attachments

• 20220609_181808.jpg
    20220609_181808.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220609_182644 (2).jpg
    20220609_182644 (2).jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 7