mid to "long range" cartridge

LightFoot

WKR
Can't go wrong with either 30-06 or 280AI. Advantage of the '06 is ammo availability and bullet selection. The 280 has a ballistic advantage.

A 280 with a 26" barrel (though 24" seems to be more common), pushing 160+ premium bullets would be potent as far as ethics will allow you to shoot.

Look at getting good optics and you'll be set.

Consider the 6.5 PRC, which is a magnum, but recoils much less than the 300 Win in s similarly weighted rifle.

>>>----JAKE----->

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
My vote is 30/06 do anything you want to do and get ammo anywhere you would hunt and can get any bullet in a factory load.

bmelton22

FNG
I like (and own) the 7mm-08. I shoot a 140 gr accubond with 42 grains of varget. Super accurate but not as fun to shoot in the wind as my 7mag running faster with a 168gr bullet. I don't have trouble putting rounds on target (even in the wind) out to about 700 yards without any help of a kestrel or spotter. Past 700 I find myself needing either the kestrel or a spotter to be able to hit a 30" target in the wind.

I like (and own) the 7mm-08. I shoot a 140 gr accubond with 42 grains of varget. Super accurate but not as fun to shoot in the wind as my 7mag running faster with a 168gr bullet. I don't have trouble putting rounds on target (even in the wind) out to about 700 yards without any help of a kestrel or spotter. Past 700 I find myself needing either the kestrel or a spotter to be able to hit a 30" target in the wind.

what’s the kestrel for?

put some 162gr eld-m in the magazine with a case full of reloder 17.

estimated ballistics on 7mag is .61bc at 3050fps
And 7mm-08 is .67bc at 2725fps

I’m seeing 50” drift at a 1000 for 7 mag and 52” drift for the 7mm-08

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I really like my 280AI when I have it out, that thing smacks down critters reliably, its flat/fast/accurate. That said my load is hot and not easy on primer pockets, which means extra forming of brass or buying expensive brass (ideally some better brands will stand making 280AI routinely...) which can be an added hassle. Its not my only rifle so that doesn't bother me too much.

I have a 7-08 (targeted for the kids up and coming) and while that isn't a slouch I always grab the 280AI which is pushing the same bullet almost 400fps faster, flat and fast is nice...

But if not reloading, nothing wrong with a good old 270, 30-06 in non-magnum either. I don't know I'd bother with a regular 280rem, its not as supported for ammo as the bread and butter cartridges.

bmelton22

FNG
what’s the kestrel for?

put some 162gr eld-m in the magazine with a case full of reloder 17.

estimated ballistics on 7mag is .61bc at 3050fps
And 7mm-08 is .67bc at 2725fps

I’m seeing 50” drift at a 1000 for 7 mag and 52” drift for the 7mm-08

the kestrel is loaded with your data (Chrono, bullet weight, etc) and will give you a solution based on all your environmental conditions (baro, elevation, wind). Excellent tool for finding density altitude. If you don’t know what density altitude is, you should really consider researching that.
I’ve had plenty of experience with both rounds and I can tell you there is a more significant wind drift than 2” at 1k yards if we’re talking full value winds of any considerable speed...

Buy a 7mm rem mag, make a friend that works at the hornady factory, get blemmish ammo for $2 a box. . . It's working out great for me anyway!

the kestrel is loaded with your data (Chrono, bullet weight, etc) and will give you a solution based on all your environmental conditions (baro, elevation, wind). Excellent tool for finding density altitude. If you don’t know what density altitude is, you should really consider researching that.
I’ve had plenty of experience with both rounds and I can tell you there is a more significant wind drift than 2” at 1k yards if we’re talking full value winds of any considerable speed...

Never seen a kestrel. Or used one.

BFE099A6-4F56-44F9-A68D-2802BA7D8104.jpeg

then again at one point I had more kestrels then boxers.

Either way a .61bc at 3050 vs .67 at 2725 at 1000 is peanuts. I got 50.3” vs 53” at 5390DAP

wyosam

WKR
Any of dozens of cartridges are capable of what you’re after in all reality. There is a ton of agonizing over these questions- I don’t think it can be avoided. I think it is good to know that in reality, it is pretty hard to make a bad choice on cartridge within reason. Modern bullets have really leveled the playing field for some of the smaller calibers. Of course that technology also helps the bigger stuff, but an animal can only get to a certain level of dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my 280AI for what you're talking about, but if I didn't reload I'd be using a 270 WSM instead since it's nearly identical performance wise. The 6.5 PRC would be another decent option since it sits rite in that same realm of performance.

Spoonbill

WKR
For a non magnum it is pretty hard to beat a 30-06 for what you want to do. You can buy a box of remington core lokts for about 16 bucks a box at Sportsmans and there is premium ammo available for less than the cheapest box of 280 ackley if you shop around.

BjornF16

WKR
It is hard to beat 6.5 and 7mm calibers for BC/ SD offerings if you are looking for a single purpose cartridge. EmperorMA is certainly correct regarding 6.5's. Bullet selection is important.

Non-magnum: 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 280 AI would be my choices.

Magnum: 6.5 PRC, 7mm Rem Mag

30 cal: 308 Win is no slouch. This would be my choice for a non-magnum .30 caliber as it is a good performer in a handy 20 inch barrel.

BTW...this question always elicits emotional responses...lol. Standby...

Factory ammo that is easy to find worldwide include: 270 Win, 7mm RM, 308 Win, 30-06, and 300 WM

I like the observations from a kiwi hunter at basllisticstudies.com. You can find some decent analysis for free on his website. He also has an excellent publication on Long Range Hunting Cartridges with more extensive analysis and opinions for a small fee. He favors fragmenting bullet designs for long range hunting.

You know what they say about opinions...;)