All around deer hunting cartridge.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
my all around is a 300 weatherby mag from a coyote to moose i do not have to change loads my gun shoots the 180 gr accoubond at 3250 fps and 4221 energy. what is your all around coyote to moose cartridge. ( you do not need a 300 weatherby mag to go from coyote to moose i just like it cause what ever it hits is dead)

Macintosh

WKR
My own taste has gravitated to short action cartridges like 7mm08, 6.5cm, maybe up to a 270win or 6.5prc on the big end. My experience says Im not undergunned at all, and I would not hesitate to use any of them for moose or elk under any circumstances and at any range Im capable of shooting (And have). Biggest I own is a 30-06, and I find it does more damage than I want, but its a sentimental gun so I still use it sometimes.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I would say 6.5 CM or my new .243 once I get it dialed in and test. I also have a RokSlide special .223. After killing a ton of critter with a .243 and .223 when I first started hunting I went the magnum route for a bit and then hung with the .308 for a long time. And now I’m back where I started.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
No such thing and personal preference due to many factors, which distance would be one of them. Are you staying within 100 yards? Are you staying 200 yards? Are you expecting 700 yards shots? Many all around calibers for distances. My vote though is for 6.5 PRC would be best all around. 127g-156g bullets and can tailor for your need. I have a 6.5 PRC and its taken the place of my 257 weatherby.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
No such thing and personal preference due to many factors, which distance would be one of them. Are you staying within 100 yards? Are you staying 200 yards? Are you expecting 700 yards shots? Many all around calibers for distances. My vote though is for 6.5 PRC would be best all around. 127g-156g bullets and can tailor for your need. I have a 6.5 PRC and its taken the place of my 257 weatherby.
well thats my thing i want something i don't have to change loads the 6.5 prc is a 127 to 156 so when your coyote hunting you would want that 127 imo but when you go moose hunting or something of that size you would probally want a 140-156. with a 300 wby mag or even 308win if you put a 180 grain lets say nosler accubond you can kill coyote to moose or something of that size. i say that cause a 6.5 prc with a 127 gr you would not want to shoot a moose. but with a 308 win or 300 wby you wouldn't need to change.

Grundy53

WKR
well thats my thing i want something i don't have to change loads the 6.5 prc is a 127 to 156 so when your coyote hunting you would want that 127 imo but when you go moose hunting or something of that size you would probally want a 140-156. with a 300 wby mag or even 308win if you put a 180 grain lets say nosler accubond you can kill coyote to moose or something of that size. i say that cause a 6.5 prc with a 127 gr you would not want to shoot a moose. but with a 308 win or 300 wby you wouldn't need to change.
Why would you need to change with the 6.5 PRC but not the .308 or the .300 WBY?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
Why would you need to change with the 6.5 PRC but not the .308 or the .300 WBY?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
i see if you use the 6.5 prc with a 140 you won't need to change. the reason you don't need to change is the 300wby with a 180 grain bullet on a coyote you might blow him in half but them a week later you go elk hunting use same load. the prc has less energy and vel so when you go deer hunting you use a rem cor-lokt when you go elk hunting you will won't something that's bonded or at least i would. i am not saying this to argue like i said everybody has their opinion.

Macintosh

WKR
As per above post, I use the same load in each cartridge for everything, small whitetails up to elk/moose. 6.5cm, 7mm-08, etc. Works fine. Dont overthink it. You have a very powerful gun, massively more than needed for any of those tasks, so pick a load using a bonded or maybe a mono bullet so you dont blow up the coyote and deer, and just go hunt.

If a guy had to pick just one, I would encourage them to go with a 7mm-08 or .308. or 30-06.

Good range out of all of them, minimal recoil, good bullet selection, ammo is almost always available, and most guns are chambered in those calibers.

All of those calibers will for sure kill a moose or a deer or pretty much whatever else you shoot at in North America.

Byard5

FNG
Really like a 150gr 308 with a Barnes ttsx. Copper bullets are so much better imo..

Sent from my SM-F731U1 using Tapatalk

If I were mentoring a new hunter on a gun purchase for coyotes to moose, I'd suggest 6mm or 6.5 Creedmoor. In my mind, nothing else comes close. Lower recoil, good ammo selection, easy to shoot well. The Creedmoors might be a bit much for coyotes. For moose, I'd have no issue. They aren't hard to kill. As Mackintosh said above, "Don't overthink it."

If you want to shoot a mega-magnum, have at it, but unless you're shooting game at obscene distances, the .300 Weatherby has and always will be overkill. And if you are shooting game at obscene distances, I'd suggest learning to stalk closer.

FLHunter87

Lil-Rokslider
People use the 127 to take moose. Moose are not really smart animals from what I've seen on TV and homemade videos lol. I would say a lot of people take moose under 200 yards and I could say even closer. Just about any average hunting caliber can take a moose at those distances. If you're shooting predators, are you keeping the pelt? If not, what does it matter how the animal looks. There are cheaper options than a 300 wby though. You should look into a 270 weatherby is you want to keep a weatherby. My vote is 6.5prc though. You already have a huge caliber. You can have a second rifle for predators and deer. Keep the 300 weatherby for your bigger animals.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
People use the 127 to take moose. Moose are not really smart animals from what I've seen on TV and homemade videos lol. I would say a lot of people take moose under 200 yards and I could say even closer. Just about any average hunting caliber can take a moose at those distances. If you're shooting predators, are you keeping the pelt? If not, what does it matter how the animal looks. There are cheaper options than a 300 wby though. You should look into a 270 weatherby is you want to keep a weatherby. My vote is 6.5prc though. You already have a huge caliber. You can have a second rifle for predators and deer. Keep the 300 weatherby for your bigger animals.
270 weatherby is only in the mark 5 weatherby not cheap. so i would have to go to a .257 weatherby

buffybr

FNG
The title states "all around deer hunting cartridge." Yes, moose are the largest of the deer family, but I can't find any source that lists coyotes as a part of the deer family. I would also bet that outside of Alaska residents, the great majority of US hunters will never hunt a moose.

For about the first 10 years of my "big game hunting career", I used my .30-06 for everything from prairie dogs, coyotes, mule and whitetail deer, pronghorn antelope, and elk. That was also my only centerfire rifle.

Then in the late '70s, after I had moved to Montana, and my new hunting partner here showed me that there were other hunting cartridges available other than a .30-06.

He showed me a .30 Gibbs case, and I thought that case looked so cool that I had my .30-06 re-chambered to .30 Gibbs. For the next 20 or so years, that was my primary elk cartridge. That's also the only cartridge that I actually shot both a coyote and a moose with.

For my deer and deer size animals (antelope and mountain sheep) hunting, I built a .257 Ackley Improved. I also shot my 2nd best 6x6 bull elk with that rifle, and a bunch of coyotes and a lot of prairie dogs.

For my varmint hunting, I built a .22-250 and besides coyotes and prairie dogs, I've shot a few deer and antelope with that rifle.

In 2009 I built my .300 Weatherby for my new primary elk rifle. Last September I shot a Canadian moose with the rifle and a 180 gr Barnes TTSX bullet. In Africa, I've shot a number of coyote size, or smaller, animals with that rifle. If I had that rifle on an elk hunt and saw a coyote, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a coyote with it, but that rifle would not be my first choice if I was just going on a coyote hunt.

OP
J

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
The title states "all around deer hunting cartridge." Yes, moose are the largest of the deer family, but I can't find any source that lists coyotes as a part of the deer family. I would also bet that outside of Alaska residents, the great majority of US hunters will never hunt a moose.

For about the first 10 years of my "big game hunting career", I used my .30-06 for everything from prairie dogs, coyotes, mule and whitetail deer, pronghorn antelope, and elk. That was also my only centerfire rifle.

Then in the late '70s, after I had moved to Montana, and my new hunting partner here showed me that there were other hunting cartridges available other than a .30-06.

He showed me a .30 Gibbs case, and I thought that case looked so cool that I had my .30-06 re-chambered to .30 Gibbs. For the next 20 or so years, that was my primary elk cartridge. That's also the only cartridge that I actually shot both a coyote and a moose with.

For my deer and deer size animals (antelope and mountain sheep) hunting, I built a .257 Ackley Improved. I also shot my 2nd best 6x6 bull elk with that rifle, and a bunch of coyotes and a lot of prairie dogs.

For my varmint hunting, I built a .22-250 and besides coyotes and prairie dogs, I've shot a few deer and antelope with that rifle.

In 2009 I built my .300 Weatherby for my new primary elk rifle. Last September I shot a Canadian moose with the rifle and a 180 gr Barnes TTSX bullet. In Africa, I've shot a number of coyote size, or smaller, animals with that rifle. If I had that rifle on an elk hunt and saw a coyote, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a coyote with it, but that rifle would not be my first choice if I was just going on a coyote hunt.
300 weatherby is my choice for anthing i need to put my sight's on and drop but it would not be my first choice for a coyote rig i would get a 22-250 for that. the reason i say 300 wby mag is let's say im moose hunting see a coyote i can pull up bam and not need my 22-250 there with me i know you can do that with the 06 but the weatherby is my choice.