Military sleep system

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Any of you guys use the military sleep system? I got one from a buddy and am thinking take one bag and the bivy. I know it a little heavy but it’s cheaper than an ultralight bad and tent haha. Let me know your opinions

Archery season in eastern Oregon

They are warm for sure. Especially when you combine the patrol bag with the black bag. I wish they were a bit wider through the shoulders when zipped up and a foot shorter in length. It'd be a perfect fit for me and probably be 1 pound lighter.

Great base camp bags for sure

blkntancj

FNG
Good inexpensive setup as long as you dont have to pack it very far. Also consider the chances of prolonged rain. Being stuck in that GoreTex bivy for hours would SUUUCK.

I used it for years in the army. Obscenely heavy. I think 11 pounds for the whole thing - bivy, 2 bags and stuff sack. We tended to shitcan the bags and use the bivy cover and a commercial sleeping bag along with a poncho liner.

I still have one that I use for a truck bag and car camping.

The bevy’s work great. Heavy at about 2 pounds. Shed water and add warmth to any bag. Like any bivy, it sucks to get rained on with no overhead cover. Sure, you can pull your face into the bag and stay mostly dry while you sleep but not being able to cook or get dressed without a little cover blows. Add a small silnylon tarp to your kit. Even a 5x7. String it up above your head and you will be thankful.

*zap*

WKR
The gortex bag is the best part of that system and you can add a fiberglass rod to the hood part to keep it off your face. The bags suck because they do not seal off to keep the heat from escaping around your head and the cold from entering..(you can use a wobby to fill that void but the bags already small and that add to the less space)..if you use the gortex and completely seal your head in then less air escapes...but that generally sucks. I would say the patrol bag with bivy would be worth it if the temps were never below 60.
For less weight you could go with wiggys bag and wiggys bivy…...or a smaller wiggys bag that will fit in the mss bivy.

I really like the xlwb bags from wiggys. The Ultima Thule bag will keep you toasty down to 0 or an overbag with a Super Light bag (same temp rating as Thule).

If your buying be aware that most of the used bags have been compressed and left that way for a long time....

You might look on utube at Survival Russia's review of the mss its a good honest review.

Last edited:
OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Not buying, was given to me from a friend, I cannot afford this ultralight stuff. Cant justify it for a couple weeks a year. I don't get to hunt as often as most of you as I work a full time job and have a family, that isn't in to the hunting, so I spend most of my time with them. I will take the weight penalty since I only go for a week at a time.

Thanks for all the comments though, keep them coming.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Any of you guys use the military sleep system? I got one from a buddy and am thinking take one bag and the bivy. I know it a little heavy but it’s cheaper than an ultralight bad and tent haha. Let me know your opinions

Archery season in eastern Oregon

I assume you’re talking about September, the nights get relatively cold but no worry about rain. It would work great for that. The bivy works good for keeping the wind and frost from chilling you. I would use the black bag myself because the green bag isnt too much thicker than a poncho liner.
Ive used just the black bag and a thermarest solar foam pad, the one with the mylar coating on it and it worked fine. That foam pad is a champion too. Its supposed to have an added R value of 0.2 but it feels like it makes a world of difference to me. Worth the extra $10. Only foam pad I will buy again.

Make sure you test it before you go on a trip I have bought 2 when I was first getting started and froze in them way above their temp rating. I am geussing they were stored compressed. Other than that they are heavy but built like a tank

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not buying, was given to me from a friend, I cannot afford this ultralight stuff. Cant justify it for a couple weeks a year. I don't get to hunt as often as most of you as I work a full time job and have a family, that isn't in to the hunting, so I spend most of my time with them. I will take the weight penalty since I only go for a week at a time.

Thanks for all the comments though, keep them coming.
You realize that most, if not all, of us work full time jobs too, right? Families and all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
S

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
You realize that most, if not all, of us work full time jobs too, right? Families and all.

I guess some of my priorities might differ from others is all. I can’t dump thousands of dollars on gear that gets used a week or two a year is all I’m saying

The gortex bag is the best part of that system and you can add a fiberglass rod to the hood part to keep it off your face. The bags suck because they do not seal off to keep the heat from escaping around your head and the cold from entering..(you can use a wobby to fill that void but the bags already small and that add to the less space)..if you use the gortex and completely seal your head in then less air escapes...but that generally sucks. I would say the patrol bag with bivy would be worth it if the temps were never below 60.
For less weight you could go with wiggys bag and wiggys bivy…...or a smaller wiggys bag that will fit in the mss bivy.

I really like the xlwb bags from wiggys. The Ultima Thule bag will keep you toasty down to 0 or an overbag with a Super Light bag (same temp rating as Thule).

If your buying be aware that most of the used bags have been compressed and left that way for a long time....

You might look on utube at Survival Russia's review of the mss its a good honest review.

Wiggy's has been making some of the bags for our military (or at least they were) I believe they had a Marine contract
In ANY case, you cannot beat a Wiggy's Bag for staying warm and comfortable

If you are taking one of the bags make it the heavier of the two or at least give them a good test as mentioned above. I made the mistake of the taking the inner on a hunt thinking it would be plenty warm and I nearly cost me an early exit off of the mountain. I ended up cramming into a small four season tent my buddy brought to keep me going.

If you are taking one of the bags make it the heavier of the two or at least give them a good test as mentioned above. I made the mistake of the taking the inner on a hunt thinking it would be plenty warm and I nearly cost me an early exit off of the mountain. I ended up cramming into a small four season tent my buddy brought to keep me going.
I've been using a Wiggy's Elk Hunter in one of my bedrolls for many seasons now and always sleep too warm if anything

Zsyacsure

FNG
Ive used this system with the army and packing never had the whole system in my bag just the bivy the winter bag and a woobie

I've been using a Wiggy's Elk Hunter in one of my bedrolls for many seasons now and always sleep too warm if anything

I don't know what the elk hunter is comparable to in the military system but I sleep colder so I take a warmer bag for most occasions. I also didn't pair the inner bag with the bivy either which would increase the temp rating a bit. Everyones different so taking you gear for a test spin prior to game day is always the best idea.

*zap*

WKR
Wiggy's has been making some of the bags for our military (or at least they were) I believe they had a Marine contract

I have 4 wiggys bags and was referring to the mss bags...I agree that wiggys is a good bag.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I guess some of my priorities might differ from others is all. I can’t dump thousands of dollars on gear that gets used a week or two a year is all I’m saying
Now, that is a better way to put it lol

sneaky

"DADDY"
That just means they were the lowest bidder lol. I can't remember who made the bags I used when I was in the Corps, but there were a few times where the whole system didn't help. That could happen with any system though.

I’ve been using the same system here in northern Michigan during our rifle season in a canvas wall tent with wood stove. And when the stove goes out the coldest it gets is like 40. I have used the system together and each piece separately and was too warm most of the time. I know that’s not telling you much but it’s all I got. I also have used the green outer bag in early fall sleeping in the bivy sack on the ground with a shifty pad and woke to frost on everything and did get a little chilled. Luckily I had my Costco down throw blanket and that made all the difference. I want to get a wiggys bag because everyone says how good they are