Missouri - Kansas City Area

Sand Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Garnett KS here. If you want to spread out the pressure on those BBQ joints, check out Guy and Mae's Tavern in Williamsburg, best ribs for miles!

gearguywb

WKR
Elk in Utah last year. Unsuccessful hunt for brown bear in Alaska.

Put in for Alaska moose (DIY) and mountain goat (guided) this year.

Heading to the sheep show next Wednesday :)

LFC911

WKR
How have i not seen this thread until now...Lenexa rez here...I didn't see it mentioned but we frequent The Rub in Olathe. If you're ever passing by on K-10 and can't make it to KC Joe's it isn't a bad alternative.

I ate two elk tags and a deer tag this year but hopeful for 2024. I have an 🏹 ID elk tag and should draw 🔫 WY in the special 🤕. Also planning to ML hunt out west in KS. I shoot spring and fall league out at Elevated Archery. I also frequent Shawnee Mission Park to fling some arrows and get some rucking in. A group of us from EA headed down to TAC in OK last year. Probably make the trip again this year.

Mesplay

FNG
I'm CO-chair for the Greater KC chapter of RMEF. It's going to be a great banquet this year and look forward to meeting any of yall there. As an added bonus this year we have Fields and Ivy Brewery donating beer to the event, so beer will be on the house until the kegs run dry this year, unlike years past. Feel free to reach out with any questions, still a few days left to buy to get in on the early bird pistol!!!

David

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

LFC911

WKR
I volunteered in 2021 and the event was at the Abdalla Shriners venue. I really liked it at Arrowhead last year and keeping an open mind for the new venue this year. Looking forward to another great event!

Mesplay

FNG
Arrowhead was great and we originally planned to go back but after the Super bowl win, they notified us late they they were increasing their costs for the space over 100% from last year and with the goal being to get money going to conservation efforts, it didn't make sense unfortunately so we had to pivot. This years venue will have just as much space and we also have the Kill Devil Club space which is attached to the Gallery, so hoping it works out well! The merchandise we have for this year is better than anything I've seen in the last several years.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Sand Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, just a heads up, there are some really bad bills coming out of the Kansas House Ag Budget Committee this session.

They have brought back a failed bill from last session, HB 2079, which will force KDWP to run rifle deer seasons in November, and allow lifetime license holders to buy 2 buck tags.

They also have a new bill, HB 2672, which will give free transferable landowner tags to landowners, 1 tag for every 80 acres (up to 10). This will allow an unlimited number of non-residents to hunt here, while taking revenue away from KDWP. Kansas has 51,657,419 acres of private land, this means that potentially 645,717 either-sex tags could be transferred to non-residents.

These bills are being pushed by a group called hunternation.org
hunternation.org

The author of these bills is Representative Ken Corbet. He is an outfitter, and owns Ravenwood Lodge.
Ravenwood Lodge

If you live in Kansas, I would encourage you to get up to speed on these bills and make your opinions known to your House Representative.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. I wondered why Corbet's was motivated to push this garbage, but never researched it.

There are a couple more listed below. Do your research and contact your legislators at the links below and lets get these bills killed!

SB 347 - Contact your legislator HERE

HB 2671 Contact your legislator HERE

House Bill 2671 - $25 Nonresident Hunting License

Senate Bill 347 - Senate Approval of Commissioners

House Bill 2582 - Reconfiguring the KDWP Commission

KDWP Legislative Stances and Updates

LFC911

WKR
This is probably a dumb idea, but has anyone thought of organizing or taking part a "death hike" here in the MW? I follow the EXO guys and I am intrigued by what they do every year. I'm not suggesting flying to the Frank Church Wilderness or to the Grand Canyon rim to rim to rim but maybe a trip to the Ozarks (or similar) some weekend and doing a 25-50 mile loop?!? Any thoughts or insight? Is someone already doing this?

I have thought about that, but IMO the best time to be in the Ozarks is probably October/November when folks are hunting. I think it'd be pretty brutal to plan something after the ticks are out and before it cools off.

LFC911

WKR
I have thought about that, but IMO the best time to be in the Ozarks is probably October/November when folks are hunting. I think it'd be pretty brutal to plan something after the ticks are out and before it cools off.
Agreed on the ticks, I was thinking sometime between Jan and March when most of us are done hunting. Definitely don't want to do during summer or spring/fall hunting seasons.

Jkean949

FNG
I have hiked a 20mi loop in the Irish Wilderness (near Doniphan, Mo)...go now before the humidity goes up! Haha! That was ten years ago, hopefully they have gone back through and marked the trails but better.

Sand Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Alternate idea, you could go out to the Flint Hills near Emporia or Council Grove and hike a loop on minimum maintenance roads. That area is really beautiful in early May after it greens up. Lots elevation gain and loss, and no ticks to worry about.

Sand Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Garnett, which is at the halfway point on the Prairie Spirit trail. There's pretty good camping at Lake Garnett, which is along the trail, and is in walking distance from food. You could do approx 25 miles on day 1, camp at Lake Garnett, then do 25 miles on day 2. It's a rail trail, so no elevation gain, but 50 miles in 2 days would be a pretty good challenge if you're carrying weight.