Mobile stand setup 2023

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
What’s everyone’s mobile setup for the 23’ season? I’ve been running a Lone Wolf sit and climb 2 since 2014. Debating on swapping for a “mobile” setup that is a hang on. A climber is super nice and easy but sometimes It limits the trees I can get in.

Yoder

WKR
LW sit and climb my other stand is a LW Alpha with Hawk Helium climbing sticks. The climber is way easier to use and setup but I like the flexibility of the lock on stand. The Hawk sticks are mediocre. They are OK for the money.

Macintosh

WKR
Same as the past several years. I mix and match a few setups depending on where Im going. I hunt 95% public and rarely hunt the same spot more than once or twice a season so theres some variety in what I want.
If Im mainly scouting and Im 80+% sure I wont even get in a tree, I bring my one-stick setup and saddle/platform. This is a standard size tethrd platform, a homemade one-stick constructed mainly from an old chopped-off lone wolf stick, and I use about 30’ of 8mm cord for a tether and exit and a method-2 saddle.
If Im reasonably sure I’ll get in a tree I usually bring the saddle, but I dont care for one-sticking much so I have a set of 4 timber-ninja carbon sticks with aiders that I use. I really like these, and for me they are the lightest and best-packability of any stick Ive seen. This is my setup for most of my mobile stand hunting.
I also have a couple older hang-ons that I leave up near home for quick hunts. I am fortunate that I can literally walk out my back door and be hunting, so these are my “backyard” stands.

Lowg08

WKR
Xop retrograde, hawk helium 20” with two step aider and cam cleat with rappell rope with rock climbing harness. I can go anywhere I want.

Last edited:

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Have both stand and saddle setups. Use the same 4x Skeletors for both, then go with a Novix Helo or Echo depending on how long I’m going to be in the stand or a TX5 Lonestar and Cruzr Mini Seeker.

WCB

WKR
If I "have to" go lite ....M7 MICROLITE and 4 SHIKAR sticks about 14.5lbs.

But honestly I use the M100U ultra lite more and it is more comfortable. Still use my Lone Wolf Alpha II a lot with 4 lone wolf sticks.

Sometimes just depends on if I leave one of them in a tree to come back to. I have 7 hang ons and like 5 sets of sticks that are not "permanently" set each season in predetermined spots.

Lone wolf alpha assault II with 3 leverage short sticks with aiders on all 3, I converted them to amsteel rope instead of the cam buckle straps. Would love to upgrade to some of the newer lightweight sticks and stands or a saddle but prices have gotten out of hand lol

As Snyder said “if you’re gona be broke, you gotta be tough”

I started using a saddle a couple of years ago. It took some getting used to, especially for a bigger guy (6'5" 250) but it has been a game changer. Cruzr saddle & platfrom and 20" beast sticks.

Zdub02

WKR
Using a summit climber this year. Have a saddle as well but prefer a stand.

@Lowg08 thoughts on the retrograde? How is the platform size? Have had my eye on that stand but curious on the sizing.

Rich M

WKR
Gave up on sticks and lock-ons after the stand or sticks shifted a couple of times stepping off one onto the other. At 275#, too heavy for them things I guess.

Lone Wolf is a good product, I had a sit n climb but didn't like it as much as Summit Viper - i like having the rail in front of me as opposed to the flip up and down rail the LW has. I sold the LW and bought the Viper.

Summit Viper is my go-to.

Lowg08

WKR
Using a summit climber this year. Have a saddle as well but prefer a stand.

@Lowg08 thoughts on the retrograde? How is the platform size? Have had my eye on that stand but curious on the sizing.
It’s basically a platform in steroids. I’ll post a picture of the n a bit. Im getting ready to do some practice shooting out of it.

DWinVA

WKR
Trophyline platform & Cruzr saddle for me. Multiple years w/ the saddle but I only used a platform towards the end of last season. So much better compared to the ring of steps I had been using. I one stick up an rappel down. Good luck.

God Bless.

TN2shot07

WKR
I have been hunting more and more from the ground the last couple of years. Always handy to be able to get in a tree when the situation calls for it tho…

Novix Helo - upgraded the seat this year

2-4 beast sticks

rcb2000

WKR
4 wild edge steps with a knaider/swaider
Tethered predator platform

It’s not for everyone but I’m comfortable with it and have used it for years.

Jpr778

FNG
For the money, it’s hard to beat the Millenium M7 microlite. Once you get the routine down it’s very quick to hang. Only downside is I’m still using the factory ratchet strap to hang the base, can be noisy if you’re not taking your time.

Look at Chippewa tree stands. They have been around for a long time, with multiple owners. It is by far the easiest way to get a stand on the tree. No holding the stand however you can and trying to get the strap around the tree. They are not extreme light weight (10 lbs is lightest).