Mobile truck tool box/tote? What are the essentials?

snik

FNG
I’ve got a Tacoma that I use to hunt with. It doesn’t have much bed space so I don’t have a permanent tool box/truck box. I’m wanting to have a portable box I can through in when I’m headed off road. What are your recommendations? Also, what would you guys consider essential for keeping in it?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Tow strap. Come along (real one; not the stamped a Chinese one). Shovel, again, a real one. Silky Katanaboy. Axe. Portable jump starter. Spare key. Tool kit from harbor freight. First aid kit. Fire extinguisher. Couple ratchet straps and bungees.

OP
S

snik

FNG
Tow strap. Come along (real one; not the stamped a Chinese one). Shovel, again, a real one. Silky Katanaboy. Axe. Portable jump starter. Spare key. Tool kit from harbor freight. First aid kit. Fire extinguisher. Couple ratchet straps and bungees.
Great info. Spare key is something I’ve never thought about having in their.

SonnyDay

WKR
Tire patch kit and a small compressor. You could use a hand pump in a pinch... but that's a lot of pumping! A small bottle of soapy water can help find the leak(s). Spare gloves.

Maki35

WKR
You want a portable box... This guy (from the web) put a tractor supply plastic toolbox in his tacoma.
available in 3 sizes: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ck-poly-multipurpose-chest-with-two-zinc-hasp
8ae5f8be-bd1a-4dfc-be9a-59109c156d8e-jpg.2906266

Or go with a wheel well toolbox to save space.

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is pretty close to my list

- the Katanaboy is an amazing saw, highly recommended; at some point I might look into an electric chainsaw as they keep getting better and better
- a couple of small bucking wedges are handy with cutting bigger stuff
-come along- I highly recommend the Wyeth-Scott ones, not cheap, but they can definitely get you out of a pinch (mine has gotten me out of a couple of pinches!)

I'd add to this list a hi-lift jack- I have mine mounted to the interior rails of my truck box (ditto on my shovel)

5dzpSoR.jpg

in addition to a regular shovel, I keep a two piece snow shovel behind the rear seat (behind the seat also resides my saw, axe, tool kit- there is quite a bit of room behind the rear seat under under the seats of a Tacoma)

I recently upgraded my air compressor to a Viar 88P, much better than the cheap one I had been using.

Over the last 11 years with my Tacoma I've used everything but the first aid kit and the portable jump starter (knock on wood)

I use a diamond plate aluminum box from UWS. It's 35' L x 19'W x12'D. It holds all the items mentioned above and some more. It's removeable and easy to secure. I use a cable and padlock.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Good list so far. I would add, tow chain vs strap, Audew potable jumper, old style car jack, 12'x12"x3/4"piece of plywood to set jack on in the soft sand. Spare belt, and depending how old truck is spare fuel pump, water pump. 12 volt fuel transfer pump. Lots of water.

Get a good quality tire patch kit like Blackjack or something equivalent. Use shop quality kits.
As previously mentioned the spare key is priceless. Also a headlamp and tire guage that doesn’t leave the truck and if you have locking lug nuts or your center caps require an Allen head to take off, the appropriate tool for those things.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
You need the ratcheting style jack for when you get stuck up to the differential. Put the plywood under jack base, jack truck up as high as the jack will go and push truck to the side off jack, repeat until truck is clear.

Randle

WKR
Has anyone tried chunks of 2x4 and ratchet straps to make hasty traction devices.?
I keep meaning to try this myself but havent yet

2-Stix

WKR
Here is my list...I have used most of this over the years. I have spent the night unplanned a few times. Its in an ActionPacker.

Always in my rig
Toe strap - 4” x 30’
D shackles
Compressor
Tire repair kit and plugs
High lift plate
Hand warmers
Fix a flat
Jumper cables
Knee pad
Big hand saw
Leather gloves
Towel and blanket
Space blanket
Fire kit and candles
Battery booster
small shovel
medical kit and life straw
Tarp and straps
Road flares
Rope and para cord
Waterproof pants and jacket
MRE’s

Added this when I hunt
Pulaski
High lift
Gallon of water
Full size shovel
Tool kit in trailer - vice grips
A few 2x6 blocks of wood
Chain saw
Gas 5 reg
1 gal mix

Last edited:
Dwalt 12 electric saw, highlift jack plus blocks(all depending on your environment) bigger wood says bigger saw. The 12 covers most lodgepole. In fir and larger wood you will need a bigger saw with a bigger kerf. A single bit ax will cover you for hammer needs.

Wmsc

FNG
Spare key is essential. Wish I had read this before last fall. I had to walk out and call my dad to pick me up. He won’t let me hear the end if it.

BLJ

WKR

Highly recommend these. Waterproof in a rainstorm. We’ll built. And I’ve used them as a stool ( I’m 215# sadly enough) with success.