Mobile truck tool box/tote? What are the essentials?

robtattoo

WKR
Portable toolboxes are a thief magnet. Battered 40qt coolers, not so much 😉

Mine contains:
Tire plug kit
Footpump
Tow strap
2x heavy ratchet straps
Come-along
Essential toolkit (fencing pliers, 2lb hammer, fencing staples, 2x adjustable wrenches ((metric & imperial)), wire stretcher clamp, bolt cutters)
3x cheap flashlights
3x cigarette lighters
3x sharpies
5x7 tarp
Box of 4" nails
Folding saw
16" machete

I always have a high lift jack locked in the bed too, 2 towels & a wool blanket on the back seat.

Has anyone tried chunks of 2x4 and ratchet straps to make hasty traction devices.?
I keep meaning to try this myself but havent yet
Yep, it definitely works in a bind. Since then bought some manufactured rubber ones. Same concept as the 2x4 piece.

I’m adding a spare key to my list. Electric chainsaw will go with me now. A portable compressor has saved me more than I want to admit.

We use zip ties or tie wire and secure a spare key underneath the truck bed. The magnet key boxes work good too

Dwalt 12 electric saw, highlift jack plus blocks(all depending on your environment) bigger wood says bigger saw. The 12 covers most lodgepole. In fir and larger wood you will need a bigger saw with a bigger kerf. A single bit ax will cover you for hammer needs.
I will add to the electric mobile tools suggestion. Pick a name brand, get a compatible air compressor, wrench, hacksaw, and 2 large (charged) batteries. Can make a lot of problems MUCH easier. Also, boxes like the Milwaukee pack out boxes can be really nice. Something that can be securely mounted to or removed from your vehicle without any special tools and they can be changed/tailored to any situation

Austink47

WKR
Specific tools I would include in my kit, that might not be in a standard tool kit are 1. A big beefy flat head screwdriver driver. Makes a great pry par but it is small enough to get in tight spaces. Get an old craftsman or something you can beat on with a rock. This is not number one my mistake. 2. A short handle crescent wrench. It just fits places a standard does not. 3. A wire brush and a small bottle of coke. There is not much you can’t clean with that combination. So many issues are caused by corrosion and poor connection. Also the coke can be a life saver at 2am stuck in the middle of nowhere trying to fix something, a little sugar and caffeine can make all the difference. A lot of words for a few little things but out of all the JIC crap I carry these specific tools have come in handy time and again.

BLJ

WKR
I’ve re mention of a hand/foot pump twice. Have people had success with this? For a good enough type fix? Never thought about it.

Randle

WKR
If you bust a bead off, A can of ether will reset a bead on a tire .
It sets about 12 psi in the tire.
Just dont over do it with the ether.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
Traction mat’s are great to have around. I have only used mine to get other people unstuck, and they work great.

eamyrick

WKR
Tag I’m building mine out. Currently:
Tool kit with various wrenches, leatherman, electrical tape, wire, hammer
Air compressor
Battery Jump start (can also charge phone)
Bottle jack with piece of 4x4 in bed
2x tow straps with soft shackle (I’ve been stuck more times than I will admit)
Trauma kit
Head lamp and lighter 2x
Blanket, beanie, socks, gloves
Fire extinguisher
Small cook pot and water
Ratchet straps
Estwing axe, small shovel

Remarkably it all fits behind or under the seat of my f150

Need to add spare key, another soft shackle, jumper cables. Had it all in an old tool bag in my unlocked dirty truck box and it was all stolen. It’s all spread out now.

tony

WKR
You want a portable box... This guy (from the web) put a tractor supply plastic toolbox in his tacoma.
available in 3 sizes: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ck-poly-multipurpose-chest-with-two-zinc-hasp
8ae5f8be-bd1a-4dfc-be9a-59109c156d8e-jpg.2906266

Or go with a wheel well toolbox to save space.
This ( I have one in my storage unit)
Or go to wal mart and hit the tote isle.

I’ve got a Tacoma that I use to hunt with. It doesn’t have much bed space so I don’t have a permanent tool box/truck box. I’m wanting to have a portable box I can through in when I’m headed off road. What are your recommendations? Also, what would you guys consider essential for keeping in it?
As many others have said a patch kit and shovel are big on my essentials list. Food and water, TP for real emergengies ;) maybe a few warmer clothes if you don't have those already.

I keep my compressor, tire patch kit , tow hitch and balls, adjustable wrench and jump box under the rear seat of my pickup And other things I want to have with me everyday.
I have a durable bin I put in my bed for road trips. I it I keep a floorjack, racket straps ,tow strap,Qt of oil for my truck and atvs, windshield washer fluid concentrate and craftsman mechanics toolbox ,my bag with battery operated drill and impact and a floor way lug wrench.

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
All the list are good so far.
I would also recommend a breaker bar and and a short length of pipe; unless you rotate your tires yourself.
I usually rotate my own tires but was taking advantage of some free oil changes and tire rotations that came with my new truck.
Got a flat and needed that extra leverage to get the lug nuts off. I’m not sure what the dealership torqued the m to, but it was more than required.

Here is my list...I have used most of this over the years. I have spent the night unplanned a few times.

Always in my rig
Toe strap - 4” x 30’
D shackles
Compressor
Tire repair kit and plugs
High lift plate
Hand warmers
Fix a flat
Jumper cables
Knee pad
Big hand saw
Leather gloves
Towel and blanket
Space blanket
Fire kit and candles
Battery booster
small shovel
medical kit and life straw
Tarp and straps
Road flares
Rope and para cord
Waterproof pants and jacket
MRE’s

Added this when I hunt
Pulaski
High lift
Gallon of water
Full size shovel
Tool kit in trailer - vice grips
A few 2x6 blocks of wood
Chain saw
Gas 5 reg
1 gal mix
This is a pretty good list.
I have 2.5 gal of drinking water in my tote.
I'm surprised no one has added duct tape and zip ties.
I always have maps and a compass. I never want to be reliant on electronics.
TP and baby wipes are important.
I have wool socks and a beanie vacuum packed.
50' of paracord.
Make sure your jumper cables are at least 20' and 0ga copper...You rarely have the luxury of pulling another rig nose to nose.

wapitibob

WKR
Great info. Spare key is something I’ve never thought about having in their.

Spare key belongs on or under the rig at all times, same for tools, xtra belt, tow strap, flash light, Stanley hand saw, etc. Under or behind the seats.