Mobile truck tool box/tote? What are the essentials?

1/2” impact, extra set of fuel and oil filters, various tools, shit tickets, come-along, bottle jack, strap, shackles. I’ve really pondered the air compressor but haven’t committed to that and patches. I’m used to changing tires and can get rolling again in 20 minutes. Would like a nice jump box too but I’m sure the big Milwaukee battery and some spare wire could get the pickup to start. Have spare keys in everything besides my wife’s Toyota because they are expensive!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
This is a pretty good list.
I have 2.5 gal of drinking water in my tote.
I'm surprised no one has added duct tape and zip ties.
I always have maps and a compass. I never want to be reliant on electronics.
TP and baby wipes are important.
I have wool socks and a beanie vacuum packed.
50' of paracord.
Make sure your jumper cables are at least 20' and 0ga copper...You rarely have the luxury of pulling another rig nose to nose.
Certain things are always in m y truck, duct tape for certain. I have my every day things in my truck always. For camping/hunting I have my list.

BLJ

WKR
Have spare keys in everything besides my wife’s Toyota because they are expensive!

I had keys made that would unlock the door at Home Depot. They won’t work to start it, but if you happen to lock your keys inside, it would at least get you back in.

Also use this in the winter to keep the truck running if I have to stop into somewhere.

This is what is in my kit.
Battery jump box
Duct tape
Mechanics wire
2 snatch blocks
500’ roll of mule tape
Tire patch kit
Pliers
Straight screw driver
Tow strap.
In the winter I always have tire chains. I also take a chainsaw anytime I’m in the woods.
I learned the hard way with aftermarket wheels, find the socket that will fit . A lot of them are narrow and won’t accommodate a regular socket or your factory lug wrench.

Maki35

WKR
my essentials:
Roll of duct tape & electric tape.
tool bag (w/ small socket set, breaker bar, adjustable wrench, adjustable pilers, screwdriver, box cutter, small spool of wire, paracord, tire repair kit, mallet, foldable saw)
fix a flat, high lift & wheel chock.
gas can & antifreeze can.
road flares and 3 in1 emergency light
jumper cables, come along, tow rope, work gloves.

I had keys made that would unlock the door at Home Depot. They won’t work to start it, but if you happen to lock your keys inside, it would at least get you back in.

Also use this in the winter to keep the truck running if I have to stop into somewhere.
Pry be a good idea. That’s where I foresee her leaving the keys

BLJ

WKR
Pry be a good idea. That’s where I foresee her leaving the keys

That’s where I left mine. 😁
I usually leave the ignition keys in the truck and the door keys go with me. It’s saved me more than once.

dtrkyman

WKR
Make sure whatever jack you have has enough travel to get your rig off the ground, especially after adding a lift and larger tires, don't ask me how I know!

A simple plug kit and a cheap compressor bailed me out way back in last year!

OP
S

snik

FNG
I will add to the electric mobile tools suggestion. Pick a name brand, get a compatible air compressor, wrench, hacksaw, and 2 large (charged) batteries. Can make a lot of problems MUCH easier. Also, boxes like the Milwaukee pack out boxes can be really nice. Something that can be securely mounted to or removed from your vehicle without any special tools and they can be changed/tailored to any situation
Funny you mention the Milwuakee Packouts. I saw an overland truck on the highway the other day loaded down with packouts.

ChrisS

WKR
These Husky boxes are great for organization. They latch on four sides, but if you only undo the front side, they hinge open. Water resistant and dust proof. The clear top is great for a quick look inside. My truck stuff sits in one and I have a couple on my boat for tackle and another for ice fishing in the winter.

WKB

Lil-Rokslider
Here is what is in the overland Burb at all times. I use a large soft tote for all this. This list will flex depending on season and location.
Bottled water
a couple shelf stable energy bars
A collapsible rubber bowl (for the pupper)
TP
FAK
Folding Army E-Tool
Traction planks
Tow strap
Rubber tie downs
100 ft of 550 Cord
Warne Snatch block
Straps/binders
4ton ComeAlong
Army elbow flashlight
Frog Togs
Mechanix gloves
the basic tools required to change the tires, oil, thermostat, battery, and fuel filter (8mm, 10mm, 15mm, 21mm wrench/ratchet /socket, screw drivers etc.) plus spare filters.
folding saw,
hatchet
18" crow bar
16oz claw hammer
duct tape/100mile-an-hour tape
electrical tape
folding box knife with extra blades
Tow hook, extra clevis, and pins
jack
tire plug kit
green goop for tires
tire gauge (both tread and air pressure)

probably forgetting something.
always have a full size, balanced, spare.

Carr5vols

WKR
My list. Always in the truck

Driver seat area/center console
-9mm with extra clips
-hand sanitation
-plenty of napkins

Inside cab under or behind rear seat
- claw hammer
-wrench tool set
-ratchet tool set
-multiple plier sizes
-torx set
-Allen wrench set
-various zip tie sizes
-full electrical terminal kit
-tire repair kit
-air compressor
- 20 ft jumper cables
-inverter
-diy first aid kit
-Mechanix gloves
-wal mart bags

In truck bed
-2x4 pieces to strap to tire
-2×6 pieces for jack
-tarp
-bungee straps
-ratchet straps
-fire extinguisher
-100ft thick rope
-30ft 20,000 lb tow strap
-20 ft heavy duty chain
-red signal cloth
- ax
-shovel
-cooler
-tote with paper plates, cups, silverware, towels, aluminum foil, pots, pans, spices, different size ziplok bags, heavy duty trash bags, some can food and bars...it gets stocked better once september arrives.

I am sure I missed something...20230718_123937.jpg20230718_123933.jpg20230718_123851.jpg