Model 700 300 win mag in back of the safe

I have a model 700 300 win mag synthetic stock I bought back in the late 90s can't remember if its ADL or BDL....I used it on whitetail hunt or 2 back then and quickly realized it was way over kill for eastern whitetail hunting. Put in the back of the safe and it's been there ever since.

Did my 1st trip out west this year, and while my model 700 in 30 06 filled all my tags, on the drive back got to thinking about my 300 in back of the safe.

Other than a Timney #533 trigger, run them in all my model 700s, looking for suggestions to dust of this old rifle and start using again.
If this was you rifle what would you do to it?
Selling it and picking something else is not off the table yet..currently have 270, 30 06, and 308 rifles...so would like to stay with 300 win mag caliber if that's your suggestion.
TIA
sc

Maybe changes stocks for better accuracy and lighten it up a little. Get a brake installed to make it a little more pleasurable to shoot.

Otherwise. Just let her rip.
What scope do you have on it? As long as it’s been and ways things have changed, may want (not need) to upgrade some there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JG358

WKR
Why not just dust it off and use it? If it shoots to your standard, no real need to do anything? I mean you can always swap the stock for something better, bed it, cut a recessed crown, get a fancy or trendy refinish, scope upgrade, throw a suppressor on it......

OP
Sccritterkiller
It has an original redfield 3x9x40mm from before they went out of business...yes it will be upgraded...any specific stock you recommend? Muzzle will be threaded...

I’d look at AG Composites for a stock. Light, look just like a McMilan, but you can get one in way less than 6-8 months (which really turns into 1year).

OP
Sccritterkiller
I’d look at AG Composites for a stock. Light, look just like a McMilan, but you can get one in way less than 6-8 months (which really turns into 1year).

Thanks...That's the kinda info I am looking for...I havent messed with any of my bolt guns in a decade or so other than the occasional new scope. I had a HK think I had to get over...

OP
Sccritterkiller
Thanks for all the suggestions...after doing a little more research of serial numbers this 300 was a 1994 model. I may have put 2 boxes thru it since I got in 98 so I decided to keep it. AG CAT should be here anyday, 6 weeks in on my order. I also sent the factory barrel off to be fluted. I decided to go with a rugged radiant 7.62 can so I had to send the barrel off to get threaded might as well have the it fluted too. Since I was sending the barrel off might as well get the bolt fluted too. I will post up some pics when I get back together...Glad i took the cheaper route and didn't go full custom...

elkguide

WKR
Sounds like you're in business.

A real .300 Win Mag fanboy here. Last year I used one for everything from coyotes to elk.

OP
Sccritterkiller
After I got it back from machine shop I have decided to get cerakoted but it turned out well. Converted to BDL, AG composite stock, Timney trigger, and I picked up a new Z5(i) to top it off. Should have it back and range ready in a few weeks. It was fun to pull this old rifle out the back of the safe and give it a new start. Had it for 20 yrs...Its 6.75# without the optic. Thanks for suggestions!
20200423_142451.jpg