Montana family vacation

SANDAN

FNG
We live in SE NC and I have traveled out west quite a bit with jobs in the past (CA, UT, WA, OR, etc). I am sure I am not alone but watching Yellowstone really reminds me of the UT mountains and I would take extra time to run them or hike. Now I have 2 kids (5 & 7) and we would like to plan a vacation out there (MT, WY, etc). I've actually never been to MT or WY. Any suggestions on where we can go that isn't crazy touristy, has good food, breweries, hiking trails, etc? Also what time of year is best? We love to fish here but think my kids would be bored of fishing in a river, they are spoiled here on the coast.

Montucky

WKR
I Love Wyoming. Casper has so much to offer……Beer, Cold…..are you a wind in the hair kind of person….?

OP
S

SANDAN

FNG
I Love Wyoming. Casper has so much to offer……Beer, Cold…..are you a wind in the hair kind of person….?
I’m not sure what that means? Like being outside, yes. Not looking to find cold, this would be summer-ish I assume.

hobbes

WKR
Not touristy, good breweries, hiking trails, good food........are you talking small town?

Cody Wyoming is nice but it's touristy. I don't know about trails and breweries there.

Ennis, MT is a really small town but has a few local restaurants and a small brewery. Plenty of local fishing but I think your kids may be too young for learning to fish that way on a vacation. Lots of surrounding mountains but it's grizzly country if that bothers you. A 5 and 7 year old may struggle in the mountains. Nevada City is a close by old western town that's not too crowded that's cool to visit. I don't think you'll get a full vacation out of Ennis unless you are fishing or you spend some time in Yellowstone.

Bozeman and Missoula are going to have several breweries but Im not familiar with their hiking. Neither are exactly tourist towns but college towns. Bozeman is supposed to be the conservative school and town and Missoula the looney weird liberal town and school. I've decided all colleges are crazy now and Bozeman has changed significantly. I don't like how the town is spread out as far as downtown and actually prefer Missoula's downtown area, minus the colored hair and a few other common oddities.

Kalispell is a nice town that I like to visit probably most out of them all with a visit to a restaurant or two in Whitefish also. You are also close to Glacier NP. Glacier is crowded as well and may still require reservations to visit. It's worth seeing.

One tip, don't walk into town in MT and tell the locals that you are visiting because it looks so awesome on the Yellowstone series. They won't be impressed.

We live in SE NC and I have traveled out west quite a bit with jobs in the past (CA, UT, WA, OR, etc). I am sure I am not alone but watching Yellowstone really reminds me of the UT mountains and I would take extra time to run them or hike. Now I have 2 kids (5 & 7) and we would like to plan a vacation out there (MT, WY, etc). I've actually never been to MT or WY. Any suggestions on where we can go that isn't crazy touristy, has good food, breweries, hiking trails, etc? Also what time of year is best? We love to fish here but think my kids would be bored of fishing in a river, they are spoiled here on the coast.
Anywhere that has good food and breweries is going to be a developed area = people = touristy

If I were you I would book a vrbo somewhere within an hour or so of one of the places @hobbes mentioned.. Go into town for the day when you need to get your brewery and food fix.....otherwise go the nearest grocery store, live in your vrbo, make your own meals, and go explore nature every day.

ChrisS

WKR
Lots of threads on here. I did a trip with my wife in 2016. Obviously things have changed since then, but there's still plenty of things to see and do that haven't changed. Pack your patience. Lots of people visit in the summer.

blackdawg

WKR
I didn’t see it on your list. As much as I dislike the politics of the state, with my kids I seem to end up in Colorado, it has a lot more to offer for the young family. Most places I have been in Wyoming and Montana that aren’t touristy but have what I consider excellent things to do really don’t have much for the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s teeny-tiny, but for a couple days of fun; Phillipsburg MT is the best. They have a ginormous candy and toy store, the lake and mountains are right there. The old hotels on the main drag are fun too. My kiddo wants to move there.

A place we enjoy are the Bighorns in Wyoming. We camp there though. I don’t drink so I never look for breweries. There are some cool hikes, lots of wildlife without dealing with griz, and it’s not what I consider touristy.

MTbiggame

FNG
One thing that’s a must see is the beartooth pass which peaks at almost 11,000ft. It has red lodge MT on one end of it which has basically everything you’re looking for and Cooke city MT on the other end which is an old gold mining town.

OP
S

SANDAN

FNG
Not touristy, good breweries, hiking trails, good food........are you talking small town?

Cody Wyoming is nice but it's touristy. I don't know about trails and breweries there.

Ennis, MT is a really small town but has a few local restaurants and a small brewery. Plenty of local fishing but I think your kids may be too young for learning to fish that way on a vacation. Lots of surrounding mountains but it's grizzly country if that bothers you. A 5 and 7 year old may struggle in the mountains. Nevada City is a close by old western town that's not too crowded that's cool to visit. I don't think you'll get a full vacation out of Ennis unless you are fishing or you spend some time in Yellowstone.

Bozeman and Missoula are going to have several breweries but Im not familiar with their hiking. Neither are exactly tourist towns but college towns. Bozeman is supposed to be the conservative school and town and Missoula the looney weird liberal town and school. I've decided all colleges are crazy now and Bozeman has changed significantly. I don't like how the town is spread out as far as downtown and actually prefer Missoula's downtown area, minus the colored hair and a few other common oddities.

Kalispell is a nice town that I like to visit probably most out of them all with a visit to a restaurant or two in Whitefish also. You are also close to Glacier NP. Glacier is crowded as well and may still require reservations to visit. It's worth seeing.

One tip, don't walk into town in MT and tell the locals that you are visiting because it looks so awesome on the Yellowstone series. They won't be impressed.

Thanks for the through reply and well noted. I do not want to contend with grizzlies especially with my kids so that's out for sure. Bears scare the piss out of me and I think approximately so.

Not to worry, I wouldn't say im visiting because of Yellowstone. It's been a desire of mine for a long time, just reminded from the show.

OP
S

SANDAN

FNG
Thanks for all the replies. Bozeman may be on the list for sure and I do think Colorado would be cool, maybe split week or two trips?

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Fly into Bozeman (fun town, but pretty fancy and expensive, think Boulder. Check out the Museum of the Rockies). Rent a car and drive down to Red Lodge (cool smaller town). Then drive the Beartooth highway and camp up top somewhere, then into Cooke City (tiny) and Yellowstone. Loop back up through the Paradise Valley (hit up Chico Hot Springs, they have lodging there too) and back to Bozeman. If you want to camp in Yellowstone start thinking about reservations early.

Last edited:

Wapiti406

WKR
The chances of getting in a car wreck are a bit higher than that of getting scratched up by a grizzly. If you haven't been to MT I would road trip through the Madison, Ruby, Big Hole and come out the Pintlers.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I would go during the hottest part of the summer in NC to escape the heat & humidity. Probably mid-July through August. I would think the kids would love seeing Yellowstone and all the animals. You could fly into Jackson, WY and see the Tetons and work your way north into Yellowstone. A day trip to Cody is very cool. The kids would probably like the rodeo there as well. You could drive north out of Gardiner and through Paradice Valley along the Yellowstone river which is a beautiful drive. We did a half day rafting trip which the kids would probably enjoy as well. Check out Livingston & Bozeman for breweries, shops etc. The whole area is breathtakingly beautiful and there is plenty to do. Nice museum in Bozeman too if dinosaurs are of interest.

Another great option (In Colorado) is Grandby Colorado.. It sits right on Grand Lake, has good eats, good brew, sits right on the western entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. On the east side of the park sits Estes Park which has about anything you'd want.. Check out the Grand Lake Lodge.. You rent smallish cabins that are looking down on Grand Lake with the National Park in the background.. I've taken a few family vacations there and can't say enough about the trips.. You can be around people with lots to do or get away from people if you're willing to stretch your legs. As others have said though, with so many folks wanting to get out and enjoy the outdoors you will need a fair amount of patience and it can take more/less depending upon when you go.. Only thing I'd caution you about there though is don't go too early.. The high mountains in the park get tons of snow and can be drifted over until late spring blocking clear passage all the way through the park... Also, if planning to spend time in the park be sure to check to see if they still require that you have reservations (which should be made 1-2 months in advance if plans are during the mid summer busy time.. Great family vacation here..

Last edited:

Roguer53

FNG

Ya...I'd keep quiet about the Yellowstone thing

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Fly into Bozeman (fun town, but pretty fancy and expensive, think Boulder. Check out the Museum of the Rockies). Rent a car and drive down to Red Lodge (cool smaller town). Then drive the Beartooth highway and camp up top somewhere, then into Cooke City (tiny) and Yellowstone. Loop back up through the Paradise Valley (hit up Chico Hot Springs, they have lodging there too) and back to Bozeman. If you want to camp in Yellowstone start thinking about reservations early.
Agree 100%, great MT trip