Montana Insulation Jacket

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be hunting elk in Montana this year in mid to late October for elk. If the weather gets really bad, and confines us to a truck based camp, I feel prepared clothing-wise. If however the weather is decent and we can bivy hunt, then I’m less confident I have the right insulating jacket. Looking for some guidance from people who have hunted the October rifle elk seasons in Montana enough times to know on which jackets might makes sense that balance warmth with packability to be comfortable. Price isn’t a concern and my layers don’t need to be from a hunting brand. Thank you!!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Late October temps in Montana can vary from below zero to 80 degrees.

I would suggest a layering system like this:

Base layer
Grid fleece
Puffy
2nd puffy
Soft shell
Hard shell

You can add/subtract from your list as needed.

Have fun!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The most versatile puffy I use is an arcteryx atom AR.

For a bivy camp, I would have that one in the pack for just about any temps.

Last edited:

t_carlson

WKR
I would look for a down jacket with about 5-8-ish ounces of 850+ down fill. Rab Neutrino Pro, Kuiu Super Down Pro,

You can get anything from 0 degree temps to the 60's that time of year.

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Late October temps in Montana can vary from below zero to 80 degrees.

I would suggest a layering system like this:

Base layer
Grid fleece
Puffy
2nd puffy
Soft shell
Hard shell

You can add/subtract from your list as needed.

Have fun!
Thank you! Which two puffies are you using then? I have an Atom AR that I’ve used exclusively for 6 or so years now. But don’t have a down puffy yet

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
The most versatile puffy I use is an arcteryx beta AR.

For a bivy camp, I would have that one in the pack for just about any temps.
Thanks! What’s the equivalent today? I don’t see the Beta AR as an insulated piece on their website anymore

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ll be hunting elk in Montana this year in mid to late October for elk. If the weather gets really bad, and confines us to a truck based camp, I feel prepared clothing-wise. If however the weather is decent and we can bivy hunt, then I’m less confident I have the right insulating jacket. Looking for some guidance from people who have hunted the October rifle elk seasons in Montana enough times to know on which jackets might makes sense that balance warmth with packability to be comfortable. Price isn’t a concern and my layers don’t need to be from a hunting brand. Thank you!!
Check out FORLOH - We are a Montana based company that is 100% sourced and Made in America

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks! What’s the equivalent today? I don’t see the Beta AR as an insulated piece on their website anymore

It is the Atom AR. My apologies.

I often also use a Kryptek Ghar.
In subzero temps I will even wear them both, but I’m not bivying in those conditions.

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
The stereotypical setup is based on layers without a heavy insulated parka. The shell can be used at any temp for rain, snow or wind.

I like a hooded waterproof shell preferably without insulation.
The main heavy insulation is one or two 300 weight zip up fleece jackets, one size different and outer is wind stopper.
This middle layer is light fleece or second polypro layer
Under that is a midweight polypro top as base layer.
If it’s really warm a T shirt is good to have for under the base layer.

I keep waterproof shell rain pants, then hunting pants, then one or two layers of military weight polypro long johns. Warm legs mean warm toes.

On the head a wind stopper fleece cap for mornings or baseball cap for middle of the day, and beleclava for really cold temps.

That has worked well for T shirt weather, rain, sleet, light snow on down to knee deep snow, and frozen water bottles.

As a junior high kid taking a hunter safety class, the instructor said to only add enough layers to stay slightly on the cool side so you’re not sweating into your insulation layers. That’s just as true today.

OP
A

aorams

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you all. I added an arcteryx Thorium hoody to my pack. Seems about right but time will tell. Thank you