Montana Rifle Co. Junction 308Win Field Evaluation

ElPollo

WKR
You are correct. A copy would not offer much.
I’d think that Tikka clone in different action lengths would draw some attention. I’d love to see a Tikka-esque mini action that would feed reliably from 10-round AR mags. That would require a significant departure from a standard Tikka, but I think it would sell. Especially given chamberings in 6 and 22 ARC. Parts compatibility with standard Tikkas would be a plus, but you can’t really get them from Beretta anyway.

So in the modern CRF world, what companies are left or have models to chose from? Besides the pre 64 Win 70’s, ya have Ruger M77, Sako 85, Kimber, any other models worth looking for in pawn shops? No way this ol dog can buy a 10k rifle lol I have a SWMBO watching my every move at the house lol. Great review by the way. Will be following.

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
A new production M70 is a pre-64 homage marred only by a "new and improved" bolt on trigger unit. It's expensive, but not as expensive as this gun. The wood on the new production Win M70 is nicer that what the photos show here too, but it doesn't have embedded MLOK.

2y2c

FNG
I’m hopeful for any company that sends gear to Form and Ryan to get honest feedback. I bought a Christensen ridgeline fft 280ai that ended up going to the gunsmith’s because it was shooting so poorly. It had the kind of problems and more that this rifle has had. I expect it’s a dairy common occurrence. American companies are putting a lot of good components into a package for a decent price. The problem is the execution. There seems to be a lack of attention in assembly.

I wonder if the difference is that MRC might care enough to fix some of these issues.

Dobermann

WKR
I think you under estimate how many animals have been taken with guns only ever shot that way…
No. Having heard it so many times as 'advice', I imagine it's closer to the norm than actually knowing how rifles, ammunition, and scopes work, and then training for both accuracy and precision. And that makes it worse, not better.

Disappointing assessment. I shoot a MCR X2 in 7mm08. I got lucky and got one of the good ones.Not perfect but good.

Paid $1450 for it new approx 10 years ago(note approx) which included the factory cutting back the barrel from 24 to 22. I use the rifle as a eastern deer rifle out of a climber.

I been hopeful the new guys would produce a great rifle even if its not something I would buy. QC was an issue with the two previous owners. After a long wait time for a rifle buyers should expect it to be delivered to them without obvious issues.

Choupique

WKR
hopeful for any company that sends gear to Form and Ryan to get honest feedback

Me too, but they aren't doing anything the rifle and scope companies couldn't easily do themselves. They just either don't do it at all or do it and elect to ignore the results. Still, major props to them for seemingly grabbing a random rifle off the shelf and not one that had been super worked over prior to in order to skew the results.

I hope this experiment works out. I've got a ~2018ish model 70 that I like a whole lot, and I'd have gotten a montana rifle if they didn't have a lot of reported quality issues. I really wanted the MRC to be great because it had the old style trigger.

I think zastava is the only option currently out there to get a true top to bottom commercial mauser rifle at a normal price. We need more options in that lane.

TN2shot07

WKR
I don't think many people believe that isn't the majority of hunters. Doesn't mean it isn't kind of shameful that millions of people take to the woods and require luck to avoid wounding an animal that had a 10 moa vital zone.
I wouldn’t argue that there’s any downside to being more proficient with your weapon.

Generally, and not limiting this to shooting, your proficiency will match your needs. If you live in the east and have a week or two long rifle season, will probably only hunt the weekends of that season, and have never shot >250 yards you are probably only going to dedicate so much time to the rifle. A paper plate may be a little excessive but realistically if you’re shooting a 1-2 inch group at 100 yards you’re probably getting your deer every year. Not everyone needs to know their sd of a 10 shot group and their bc so they can run ballistics to 1,000 yards just like most people who want to be healthy don’t need to be body builders or people who want to be in a better financial position aren’t turning into financial advisors. It’s all relative to your goals

Mike 338

WKR
Perhaps the whole point of them sending this hot mess was to evaluate their Customer Service. ;) Man, that burr you dug out the threads was huge.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m surprised that guys are surprised at these results. For years, most production rifles have been no better than this, and some even much worse. I’m also not entirely convinced at the poor accuracy claims just yet. Unless I missed something, only two types of factory ammo were used, right? Thats not much. To be fair, how do we know that this gun just doesn’t like the two types used so far? I’ve seen that in a factory rifle. Yes the screw hole needs relief, easily fixed by the consumer (yes, still shouldn’t be necessary). The bedding isn’t pretty, but it doesn’t need to be pretty to be effective. I’d be curious to see if that screw hole was opened up and a few more ammo types tried, if results didn’t improve dramatically. As a CRF fan, I’m rooting for them.

I must admit, though, I am puzzled by that butt ugly M Lock rail. That seems strange to me on a rifle like this. I don’t see the consumer who wants an attractive wood rifle, and who values CRF, as even knowing what an M Lock rail is, much less wanting it on their rifle. Consequently I also don’t see most guys who would want an M lock rail wanting pretty wood, or even knowing what CRF means. Those are two different consumers.

Last edited:

MThuntr

WKR
MRC has a history of making expensive rifles with major QC issues. I honestly forgot they even existed. Glad they're letting you put them through the public ringer with intent of improving their products.

Disappointing assessment. I shoot a MCR X2 in 7mm08. I got lucky and got one of the good ones.Not perfect but good.

Paid $1450 for it new approx 10 years ago(note approx) which included the factory cutting back the barrel from 24 to 22. I use the rifle as a eastern deer rifle out of a climber.

I been hopeful the new guys would produce a great rifle even if its not something I would buy. QC was an issue with the two previous owners. After a long wait time for a rifle buyers should expect it to be delivered to them without obvious issues.
Mine, purchased in 2016 had some qc issues on fit and finish that they partially fixed, but is still my go to as it is accurate with anything in throw at it, reliable, has a great trigger, and just the right weight IMO for a 30-06 not being hauled up a mountain.

Would roll the dice on another one if I could go back in time.

The bedding looks just as good as the factory xbolt bedding and I don't see a lot of people screaming about that.

However, yes I could see how the rear action screws bolster acting as a second recoil lug could potentially be an issue. BUT, Tikkas have a similar thing going on with the rear AND front screw hole bolsters and those seem to do just fine when bedded without relieving that small portion of bedding.

I don't think the bedding is the cause for those groups. I'd say it's either the screw hole clearance or the barrel or possibly the recoil lug bottoming out on the bedding.