Montana Rifle Co. Junction 308Win Field Evaluation

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’m also not entirely convinced at the poor accuracy claims just yet. Unless I missed something, only two types of factory ammo were used, right? Thats not much.

Four types. Setpoint 168gr SMK, Winchester 175gr SMK, Berger 185gr Jugg, Federal 168gr TMK. In a lot of 308 rifles, I have not seen a single one that shot any of those poorly- let alone all of them. There is something wrong.

To be fair, how do we know that this gun just doesn’t like the two types used so far? I’ve seen that in a factory rifle.

Poor factory rifles.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
I’m surprised that guys are surprised at these results. For years, most production rifles have been no better than this, and some even much worse. I’m also not entirely convinced at the poor accuracy claims just yet. Unless I missed something, only two types of factory ammo were used, right? Thats not much. To be fair, how do we know that this gun just doesn’t like the two types used so far? I’ve seen that in a factory rifle. Yes the screw hole needs relief, easily fixed by the consumer (yes, still shouldn’t be necessary). The bedding isn’t pretty, but it doesn’t need to be pretty to be effective. I’d be curious to see if that screw hole was opened up and a few more ammo types tried, if results didn’t improve dramatically. As a CRF fan, I’m rooting for them.

I must admit, though, I am puzzled by that butt ugly M Lock rail. That seems strange to me on a rifle like this. I don’t see the consumer who wants an attractive wood rifle, and who values CRF, as even knowing what an M Lock rail is, much less wanting it on their rifle. Consequently I also don’t see most guys who would want an M lock rail wanting pretty wood, or even knowing what CRF means. Those are two different consumers.
I have found that chamber design and concentricity of said chamber to bore are the most important factors to accuracy with factory ammo. Of course, bedding and optic/mount are a given necessity for top accuracy regardless.

Count me in as someone who would like pretty wood with all the functionality of a modern cross-over rifle. Having a somewhat traditional looking rifle that will shoot well is extremely appealing to me. If our country isn't already down the toilet, and I am able to create a situation where I have money burning a hole in my pocket again, I will have one regardless of cost. At this juncture, I will wait until a decently priced solution is available, or wait for the construction economy to pick up here and go the custom route.

SDHNTR

WKR

Four types. Setpoint 168gr SMK, Winchester 175gr SMK, Berger 185gr Jugg, Federal 168gr TMK. In a lot of 308 rifles, I have not seen a single one that shot any of those poorly- let alone all of them. There is something wrong.

Poor factory rifles.
Ok if 4 types, that paints a clearer picture of suck.

Grumman

WKR
They had a booth at the SCI show. They were nice guys and asking for market feedback. I passed along that we need a fast twist 223. It does need to be accurate though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
I'm with @SDHNTR on this... it's my main gripe with production rifles as a category: everyone is selling you a kit gun, but lots of folks are charging you "turnkey" prices. In an age where you can buy the bits for less than $2k and put it together yourself, I think it's reasonable to insist that a rifle company turn out a product at least on par with what a reasonably handy hobbyist can accomplish in their free time.

To this particular rifle - what bugs me here is the near complete lack of attention to detail. You don't need a lot of time or expertise to identify some of the very obvious issues with this gun in its "as delivered" condition. If you're selling bargain basement rifles to Fudds who don't know any better and you don't mind foisting a shitty product on them as fast as you can build and ship it... well, that's a business model. However, the price point on this rifle suggests that even if you're utterly lacking in scruples, someone should probably still give it a once over before it leaves the factory.

SDHNTR

WKR
The rear screw bottomed out? On what? How is that even possible? Is the hole not drilled and tapped through the tang?

Decker9

WKR
Very interesting review, Iv always had a love for the look of their rifles, never had one in hand though.

The bedding job, im by no means an expert, or even very experienced, but I always thought bedding should be equal on both sides on the action and barrel?

Iv only had 1 rifle not shoot (shot just like this one is), the bedding was nearly identical to the bedding in thus Montana stock, kinda blotchy.

I used inletting black, and found a pretty high spot on one side of the bedding, just ahead of the recoil lug. After grinding it out and re bedding (evenly up to the top rails), it solved the problem.

I’m looking forward to seeing what you guys turn up!!

atmat

WKR
I’m glad it’s shooting well now. But all that fiddling to get a $2500 rifle to shoot well is embarrassing.

Is the bolt still wearing on the wood?

Choupique

WKR
The bedding looked a lot like my BACO model 70 does from the factory, bedded at the tang, front lug, and a couple inches under the chamber. It shoots fine by my standards and doesn't seem to picky with ammo, about 1.5 MOA with everything. Maybe thats a little poor compared to what yall expect but I'm finding out is actually quite good for most hunting rifles. Is that not a bedding practice yall like to see?

I know Melvin Forbes full length bedded his rifles from the tang to the end of the stock. Is the issue the quality of the work done or is that just generally not a good practice? Having some machining background, I always assumed more rigidity was good. I think AI rifles are epoxy bonded to the chassis, I've seen stuff in your posts about bonded rifles.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The bedding looked a lot like my BACO model 70 does from the factory, bedded at the tang, front lug, and a couple inches under the chamber. It shoots fine by my standards and doesn't seem to picky with ammo, about 1.5 MOA with everything.

That would have been baseline acceptable. This rifle was a 3-4 MOA rifle.

Maybe thats a little poor compared to what yall expect but I'm finding out is actually quite good for most hunting rifles. Is that not a bedding practice yall like to see?

The issue was poorly done bedding, not necessarily the barrel pad.

I know Melvin Forbes full length bedded his rifles from the tang to the end of the stock. Is the issue the quality of the work done or is that just generally not a good practice? Having some machining background, I always assumed more rigidity was good. I think AI rifles are epoxy bonded to the chassis, I've seen stuff in your posts about bonded rifles.

Full length barrel bedding and action binding are different things. Full length bedding done correctly with a very stiff forend will shoot well.

Choupique

WKR
Cool, thanks. I have no intentions of messing with mine but I'm glad to see all the work and results. I wouldn't have thought to play with the bedding like yall did. My first guess would have been the barrel was just trashy. I never really paid any attention to bedding, stock fit, etc.

Again, glad to see that yall seem to be gaining some market traction with real world testing of gear. It takes some balls to send an off the shelf rifle to yall knowing yall are going to beat on it and openly share what you find. Doing good work for those of us who grew up babying our rifles and shooting 2 shot groups once a year.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’d be willing to bet it was the rear screw bottoming out with that silly tang design more than it was the bedding.

But the biggest question now remains IMO…. The company response? How did they let that turd out the door?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’d be willing to bet it was the rear screw bottoming out with that silly tang design more than it was the bedding.

Most likely.

But the biggest question now remains IMO…. The company response? How did they let that turd out the door?

The response was correct- embarrassment and conviction to make sure to correct the issues inline. Time will tell as anyone can say anything, but all signs point to them correcting it.