Most Comfortable Vehicle for Forest Roads

TX_Diver

WKR
Idk if it’s the best, but one year I flew to WY and rented a 4 door Jeep with good sized tires and it was amazing. I was flying down those rough roads, lots of exposed rock, didn’t matter. My buddy had a long wheel based 3/4 ton and he would show up to camp an hour later than me b/c he couldn’t get over 15mph w/o loosing teeth.

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle
'
Any rental car is usually a good bet lol.

I rented a grand cherokee L a few weeks ago and it did pretty well on most roads. Plenty of room to just sleep in the back on a scouting trip too. Never even bothered to setup the tent.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I have a comparable compressor, though I got one with a digital gauge and auto shutoff so I can sit in the AC while inflating. For airing down, I’m using a Jaco deflator that removes the valve stem. Takes about 5 minutes total to air down and seems like the faster method.

I initially tried using a manual air gauge for deflation and it took forever to air down. I think having an easy and time efficient way to deflate and inflate makes me more likely to go through the process. Oh, and 10 ply tires are a must.
These are nice and cheap for deflation.
Motion Pro 08-0183 Valve Core Remover https://a.co/d/6ywHSpp

ewade07

WKR
I've heard the first generation Toyota Rav4s are great. I've been trying to get my hands on one for quite a while now.

Hi All,

Assume a non-sxs/4wheeler with aired down tires to reasonable level common on forest roads, from your actual experience, what's the most comfortable rig you've driven?

For this discussion don't need to consider space for hauling or towing, but pure ride comfort on bumpy forest roads while still being able to handle some level of adverse traction (some mud/snow but not super deep).

Cheers,

s
My Colorado zr2 is the best vehicle I have ever been in for driving off of pavement, both in comfort and handling… actually it’s a tie, my Colorado zr2 before my current one was equally good 😉

Ford raptor aired down to 28psi and ~500# in the bed

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I have never been off-road in a raptor, but I would expect them to be tough to beat on crappy roads… if they weren’t so wide, I would have had one a long time ago… I heard rumor they were going to multimatic suspension but don’t know if they are/did, but if they did, long travel multimatics would be pretty awesome… I know they are best case scenario in my little pickup, and really good on pavement as well

This, with aired down tires and front swaybar disconnected.... I actually have relatively stiff shocks but with the triple rate springs it does really well.

Attachments

• wrangler.jpg
    wrangler.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 27

Seth

WKR
I’ve driven several over the years, but it’s hard to beat my 4Runner.

ghostmoney

Lil-Rokslider
2002 4runner with stage 5 Icon suspension. 2.5" coilovers in front and 2.5" rear shocks and can be setup with 0-3" of lift. I had this setup for 2 years and wish I could have kept it, but needed something bigger to tow with. I never had to air down because it rode so great and could run 60+ over washboards. The shocks can be made stiffer or softer with a dial so if you want to go slow you can and still have a great ride or stiffen them and run as fast as you can.4runner2.JPG4runner1.JPG

Last edited:

SoCalHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone ever drive the new Raptor in Baja Mode? I would not recommend it for tight maneuvering, of course but when you have a chance to open up, it will stand your hair on end.

I think you're looking for something with larger tires you can air down a bit. Independent rear suspension, and plenty of travel. Something like a modified 4Runner although I'm sure there could be better choices, but I'd limit your search to my first two sentences.