Most versatile 6.5 bullet for a Creedmoor

It doesn't sound like most of these folks have killed anything with the bullets they're suggesting... Lots of theory and speculation, no terminal data being presented.
The 140 ELD M is a killing machine. If you aren't using it for elk, it's definitely your huckleberry (works on elk too though).
I've got at least 10 kills (big game, excluding coyotes) with them out of a 6.5 Creedmoor. From 250-750 yards, and the results have been eerily identical. Massive wound channels, lots of fragmentation, extremely short time to expiration. They either exit or are under the hide on the off side. My muley buck this year at 620 was hit twice. First shot quartering hard away broke the femur and was under the hide mid body. Second shot broke both shoulders and was under the hide. I'll post pics when I have better service if you're interested.
Shooting a bonded bullet at deer sized game out of the 6.5 is going to put a damper on lethality and long range terminal performance. They'll kill stuff, but not in the spectacular fashion the ELD M line will. I'm sure the similar weight Bergers are good as well.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

OP
B
The 6.5CM and the 143 ELD-X go together like apple pie and vanilla ice cream. I've tried several other bullets and just keep coming back to that one as the sweet spot of on game performance, BC, and availability.

Thanks, I have 6 kills (antelope, deer, caribou, elk) with the 143 eldx, but 5 of the 6 out of a 6.5-284 pushing a load at 2950, and only one antelope with my 6.5cm and the Hornaday factory offering. The bullet kills, every single animal out of both guns had been 1 shot kills and I will not change from that bullet out of my 6.5-284 because it flat kills. Maybe I am just overthinking it all and should stick with what’s been proven for me.

OP
B
It doesn't sound like most of these folks have killed anything with the bullets they're suggesting... Lots of theory and speculation, no terminal data being presented.
The 140 ELD M is a killing machine. If you aren't using it for elk, it's definitely your huckleberry (works on elk too though).
I've got at least 10 kills (big game, excluding coyotes) with them out of a 6.5 Creedmoor. From 250-750 yards, and the results have been eerily identical. Massive wound channels, lots of fragmentation, extremely short time to expiration. They either exit or are under the hide on the off side. My muley buck this year at 620 was hit twice. First shot quartering hard away broke the femur and was under the hide mid body. Second shot broke both shoulders and was under the hide. I'll post pics when I have better service if you're interested.
Shooting a bonded bullet at deer sized game out of the 6.5 is going to put a damper on lethality and long range terminal performance. They'll kill stuff, but not in the spectacular fashion the ELD M line will. I'm sure the similar weight Bergers are good as well.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. I am open to the eldm bullets. The rifle liked the 147 match ammo the best, but the 140 eldm did not shoot as good as the 143 or 147. Maybe with some kid development I can make it work over what I saw with the factory loaded stuff.

TauPhi111

WKR
Why are the BC’s on this bullet so much lower than the 143g eldx, is it primarily driven by the bullet weight being 16g less? Or is it bullet design? On paper the bullet design looks good, then I get to the BC’s and get disappointed.

Also Kotaman and AK, do you guys have any load work with the 127 Barnes in a Creedmoor to point me in any d

Another vote for the Barnes. The reason why the BC is so much lower is partially weight, but also differences in shape and the drive bands on the bullet shank. It should have plenty of BC and retained velocity to do what you want to do though. You should be able to push them faster than a 140 class bullet. Also, check out Barnes website for load data. I have found theirs is pretty spot on.

Stalker69

WKR
I’ll second the 139 Scenar.

Is the 139 Scenar not a match target bullet ? Is this the same bullet you guys are hunting with ? If so what powder and primers you guys using ?
Might as well ask, what dies you are using also ?

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

WKR
I used the 147 gr ELD-M with good results on a sheep (417 yds) and on a whitetail (292 yds) this year. I also used it on on a bunch of rocks, sticks, and pine cones out to 1170 yards. I am using H4350 so I am not getting anywhere near the velocity you are shooting for. Although I have been pleased with the performance of the 147 gr ELD-M, I plan on trying the 139 gr Scenar.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve been shooting a lot of 139g hammer sledge hammers with good results. I guess if I was going to just load one bullet for My 6.5 those would probably be it.

Big_Mac

FNG
I'm still trying factory loads and am now on the Hornady 143 ELD-X to see how my 16" 6.5 CM likes them. I would like to find a sample pack to try different bullets for a reload step test.

Any one use the Hornady SST bullets ?
I loaded the 129 and 140 SST's in my son's Creed this year. We spent lots of time shooting rockchucks and hammering steel. After accuracy testing and chronographing each load for consistency, we settled on a max charge of W760 with the 129 SST. He had a very successful big game season, shooting 2 mature mulies, 2 antelope, a mature bull elk, and a nearly 400 lb black bear. Bullet performance was phenomenal. Nice mushrooms, good (80% plus) weight retention, and deep penetration. I don't believe bonded bullets are necessary at the Creed's modest velocities. I tried a few bonded bullets, Accubonds and LRAB's, but didn't get the accuracy that SST's provided. Ranges on the animals my son shot were from 48 yds (bear) to 411 (elk). The SST's performed admirably at all those distances.

woods89

WKR
I was looking at 6.5 CM and thinking of using 125 Nosler Partition in it. Excellent weight for deer-sized game.
I used to use these in a 1-9 twist .260. They work just as they are supposed to, but if you don't hit one perfectly in my experience you are in for a long tracking job. That perfect 4 petal expansion makes for a pretty modest wound channel. Obviously if you stick them in the lungs or heart they will do their job.

I'm not an expert but I prefer Bergers. The 130 gr. Sierra TMK is also a devastating bullet.

I loaded the 129 and 140 SST's in my son's Creed this year. We spent lots of time shooting rockchucks and hammering steel. After accuracy testing and chronographing each load for consistency, we settled on a max charge of W760 with the 129 SST. He had a very successful big game season, shooting 2 mature mulies, 2 antelope, a mature bull elk, and a nearly 400 lb black bear. Bullet performance was phenomenal. Nice mushrooms, good (80% plus) weight retention, and deep penetration. I don't believe bonded bullets are necessary at the Creed's modest velocities. I tried a few bonded bullets, Accubonds and LRAB's, but didn't get the accuracy that SST's provided. Ranges on the animals my son shot were from 48 yds (bear) to 411 (elk). The SST's performed admirably at all those distances.
I know this thread is a few years old, but I've been agonizing over the 129gr SST's and 143gr ELD-X's for a new suppressed short barrel 6.5 CM because it's the off season and I have nothing better to do. This is probably the greatest testimony I've seen supporting one or the other, appreciate the feedback and pic of the projectile and congratulations to you and your son for a heck of a year hunting.