Mountain Bike Training Thread

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
Love mountain biking and fortunate enough to have access to lots of trails. I will say though it can be counter productive if you're not careful. I just finished up x-rays, MRI and steroid injections in my shoulder from a crash. I also have a hand that bothers me sometimes from going down on it. It can get you in great shape but it could really hinder your goals as well, especially if you're a bowhunter.

Poser

WKR
At least another month of snowboarding left before I have to think about lung burn and endless switchbacks.

lak2004

WKR
Trails are pretty messy here, so ride in moab on Friday. Going to have to resort to treks like that for a few more weeks and running a bit. I hate running.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
My 100 mile charity road ride is in a month now, and just got out on the pavement for the first time in a long while. Trails have been closed or snow covered for the last month too.

Have some work to do and the trails are finally clear and dry enough, so am going to start spending a lot of time in the saddle over the next month alternating mtb and road...

Good excuse to get back in shape and drop some weight early in the year too...

Last edited:
Ran out of time yesterday so got a "26 mile" ride in last night on my road bike on the trainer.....boring. Signed up for the Dakota 5-O in Spearfish SD on Sept 1. Also set for the Mt Washington Auto Road hill climb in August and a buddy is trying to a talk me into a 100 miler here in Tulsa (road) backed up by a 100k the next day in June. Still working on that one. I'm not in any kind of shape for any of those rides.

The trails that are close to my house have been about unrideable this winter due to all the moisture. There is a trail system about 45 minutes to the north that are good and built to IMBA standards, but couldn't carve out 4 hours yest for a ride.

Poser

WKR
After snowboarding for what will likely be one of the last regular times this season, I Got my Salsa Timberjack our yesterday and degreased the drivetrain, greased up the dropper post, resealed the tires and aired up the suspension. Looking forward to some big alpine adventures this summer, but dreading those first couple of weeks of anaerobic battery acid.

c_e_UofU

FNG
Used to love desert trails for biking in AZ until I fell on my shoulder. Did some damage that limited my strength and rotation in it for a few months. Went bow hunting with my little brother a few weeks later and couldn't get any rabbits since I could barely draw the thing back. I've only trusted myself on 3+ wheels since...

Poser

WKR
Been out a 7 or 8 times, a couple of them after snowboarding in the morning and then Riding dirt in the afternoon. Haven’t worked back up to any sustained climbs yet and still feeling a little conservative on the steeper downhills, but feeling excited about the upcoming season. However, 20 inches of snow this week in the mountains this week, so I’m going to pick off some May powder.

Poser

WKR
Been out a 7 or 8 times, a couple of them after snowboarding in the morning and then Riding dirt in the afternoon. Haven’t worked back up to any sustained climbs yet and still feeling a little conservative on the steeper downhills, but feeling excited about the upcoming season. However, 20 inches of snow this week in the mountains this week, so I’m going to pick off some May powder.

twall13

WKR
I just upgraded the mountain bike. I haven't done any longer rides yet this year, just some 2-5 mile rides on the trail by my house as time permits but I'm having fun getting back into it. I set my fitness goals around running and hiking miles this year so I probably won't have a crazy amount of miles on the bike but I still plan on getting out a bit to change things up on occasion. Fun thread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

jmcd22

WKR
Finally got out yesterday for the first time. My dad and I put about 6-7 miles on. Surprisingly, I am not sore today...knees are a little fatigued. Looking forward to a good summer of riding!

Lawnboi

WKR
First warm weekend of the year around me, got a couple rides in on some old single track that I grew up in.

Got a new wheel set I need to tape up and mount some tires on. Still wanting a dropper post but getting into shooting has been eating up my excess funds

Poser

WKR
First warm weekend of the year around me, got a couple rides in on some old single track that I grew up in.

Got a new wheel set I need to tape up and mount some tires on. Still wanting a dropper post but getting into shooting has been eating up my excess funds

Dropper advice? Don’t buy a Crank Bros Highline. That being said, I keep hearing more and more good things about some of the lower end droppers from Brand X, PNW and One Up. I think I’m just gonna flip for the Fox Transfer as I’m fed up with my Crank Bros.

Lawnboi

WKR
Dropper advice? Don’t buy a Crank Bros Highline. That being said, I keep hearing more and more good things about some of the lower end droppers from Brand X, PNW and One Up. I think I’m just gonna flip for the Fox Transfer as I’m fed up with my Crank Bros.

Iv played the dropper game before, my current build is just without one. Bike yokes dropper is getting good reviews, I might try that one. I just don’t understand why nobody can build a reliable dropper. All the ones Iv had were throw always after 2 years

Poser

WKR
Iv played the dropper game before, my current build is just without one. Bike yokes dropper is getting good reviews, I might try that one. I just don’t understand why nobody can build a reliable dropper. All the ones Iv had were throw always after 2 years

It’s frustrating for sure. My CB was problematic from the first day. Sometimes it works just fine and sometimes (usually at the worst possible moment), it stops working . For that matter, it seems to be a consistency issue with droppers across the board: for every person that will vouch for whatever brand, there’s someone with a complete failure story and some surprisingly big names (looking at you, Rockshox) have terrible reputations for their dropper R&D yet keep showing up as stock droppers on factory bikes.

That being said, I can’t imagine not having one at this point. I jack my highest point up for extra leverage on steep climbs where the front wheel is riding significantly higher than the rear wheel, and ride ~2 inches lower for flat ground or moderate climbs. Steep descents, big drops and hard cornering are a different game with the seat out of the way vs. jacked up for climbing and anything in between is a compromise for both.

Brendan

WKR
Finished my Roadie century ride the beginning of the month, and have been getting out for 10-15 mile MTB rides as often as I can. All local stuff near my house and work.

Droppers: Not super experienced, but I have a Fox Transfer 175 internal on my bike. Love it so far.

Lawnboi

WKR
I’m having a hard time living without a dropper. We don’t have big ups or downs around here, but punchy stuff. It’s nice to be able to run real high when climbing then drop a couple inches for all around stuff. And get it out of the way for the rare drop or downhill section.

I will say it probably dosnt help being on a hard tail, I’m used to just running things over. The hard tail lets me know fast when I hit something I shouldn’t have too fast.

brsnow

WKR
I have only rode a couple times, running a marathon 6/2, then back to my bike. I am going to start mountain biking to work, decent single track drops right into work.