Mountain hunting greenhorn here

trdhtr

FNG
Get chains just in case! In 2020 we were stuck in Denver for a day due to chain restrictions. 20" in September has and can happen.

Luked

WKR
This is my first year going and have been planning it for about a year and a half.
for me the gear part was the easy part. As far as figuring out what to get and so on.
The hard part, at least for me is the physical exersize part. like others have said get your core and legs in good shape. Do some cardio. everything after that will make things much easier.
I am in better shape than i was a year ago but not in the shape i wanted to be when the time gets here. but ill go anyway. Like someone told me just go for the experience and have in your mind that you will probably be going on an expensive camping trip for multiple days. For me I am perfectly fine with that and am looking forward to that as much as the hunting part.

When I started, my father only had one area. We went there every weekend and waited for the elk to come to us. We killed elk every 4-5 years.

As I got more influence, I started picking places that had 2-3 day hunts out of the same camp.

Now I hunt out of the house and have 18 day hunts over 60 miles. Weather determines where. I would select a central camp that provides the broadest number of choices with the highest convenience for living. Reasonable seclusion, water and good road access to many places should dictate the location. Preferably the campsite should not have anything to do with elk habitat - you have feet for that. Your search should be to determine where they are - high, low ; north sides or south sides. I have had years where they fed at night on the freeway median but by 9 am they were 6 miles away and 2000 ft higher. You learn patterns over time but they just tell you where to start the search.

In my world, you spend time seeing where they were two weeks ago followed by two days ago and with snow - last night.

When you are 4 miles out on a track in the bottom at 3 pm and they suddenly start straight up and the ridge is 1500 ft above you - it becomes time for a critical decision of time to start back or risk a nasty trip back in the dark in a jungle.

This will be the beginning of a education. Enter it with your eyes open and your brain working. There isn't any room for stupid.

Lots of great advice here. At 65 and a flatlander, I've been elk hunting in various states for several years. I found the best way to prepare physically, is to get in shape and stay in shape 365 days a year. I work hard on the stairmaster and ruck with a heavy pack. Beyond that, I arrive a few days early to acclimate and I do fine. I would warn against any of the mask training aides. It was found they can cause a collapsed lung. I have used deep breathing exercises used by free divers and that seems to help but the best way is to acclimate and go slow the first couple of days. Good luck.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m going to try and swing it just not sure how feasible it it will be financially, will cross that bridge at that time, something I’ve just thought about after reading another post is should I have tire chains on hand? I have zero intentions or desire of being around when the real snow season begins but I know Mother Nature has her own agenda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been in Colorado since 96 and hunted Elk Season about 7 times multiple trips per season sometimes. Ive never ran into a situation where I needed chains. Now granted everyones experience when they go and the weather that hits is going to be different but Ive never needed them even in a 7 day rain storm that we had in 2014

MT-Native

FNG
After dreaming for years of going to chase elk with the support from my wife I’m finally prepping to go next September (2023) and backpack in while hunting. My biggest issue I have is that I don’t have anyone to go with me. A little about myself, I’m 28 and in fairly good flat lander shape. I’d like to think I’m a better outdoorsman than a lot of people in my area but don’t we all. I spent 5 years in the corps and am familiar with the rigors of weighted hiking. I was also a survival instructor during that time so I also understand the safety issues associated with a trip like this solo. I plan to take full safety precautions and will continue to train with a high altitude breathing mask (restricts the amount of air you can breath in to simulate being at higher altitudes). Now I completely understand that the odds are highly stacked against me for success but this trip is about more than just a kill, it’s the whole experience. Is this something I am being a fool for trying to tackle solo just because of my personal ambitions and dreams or is it a task that is do-able.

Note: a guiding outfit is 100% out of the question

Based on your background and what you said you’re Not being a fool, Do it. I’ve been going solo for years and never regretted it. Heading out tonight for 6 days solo, can’t wait it’s an adventure every time.

I started solo hunting out of necessity. My buddy’s will only apply for a couple central NM units because they feel a need to be close to home I guess. But my necessity stems from my very first elk hunt which was solo and after my first encounter with a herd bull, the necessity was born so that I will hunt elk somewhere as long as there are otc units available. Which takes me far away from where I live at times if I don’t draw a tag somewhere. I say go for it but I warn you after that you will be spending a lot of time, effort and money pursuing a new love🏹

tjr

FNG
Yeah, dude- do it.
Focus less on gear and more on fitness. Legs and lungs make a mountain hunter.
What kind of elevation/terrrain are you planning to encounter, and what season?

OP
HunterKyle
Yeah, dude- do it.
Focus less on gear and more on fitness. Legs and lungs make a mountain hunter.
What kind of elevation/terrrain are you planning to encounter, and what season?

September archery and I would guess anywhere from 8000ft up to 11,000 depending on the area. Terrain will likely be rough considering it will be mountains

tjr

FNG
September archery and I would guess anywhere from 8000ft up to 11,000 depending on the area. Terrain will likely be rough considering it will be mountains

This will be extremely challenging. Bring 3x as much water as you think you’ll need. filtration will be necessary.
Sounds like a heck of a lot of fun. Spending a couple hundred hours on a stair stepper or treadmill with the incline maxed out will help a lot. You have time between now and then.

TAGPUNCHER

Lil-Rokslider
Grab Your boots and haul ass! EMBRACE the SUCK.... You will have All winter to recoup! My biggest regret is not starting 30 years ago because I was in the same boat as you. (SOLO). THE FEAR of the unknown was too much for me I guess. If I had known then what I do now,I would have never missed a year. DONT BE ME,GO HUNTING.. lots of luck..