Mountainsmith mountain shelter lt

Shrek

WKR
Nope and nope. haha

Once some of the snow melts and the weather gets better I'll do a test run and write a review. Probably looking at about another month here in CO

Ahh come on armyjoe , don't you want to slap a stove jack in it and hike up to the divide and pitch it accross a funnel before you run out of winter storms to test it with ! HA HA Jk :)

I have been thinking of making my own and had all the plans drawn up but I am beginning to think that would be better. Just curious is the promotive price close to 50?

OP
dbaker

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
I have been thinking of making my own and had all the plans drawn up but I am beginning to think that would be better. Just curious is the promotive price close to 50?

i was going to make one as well until i seen this. when i got on promotive a couple of months ago the price was 50. the original price showed 70 something and after the promotive discount it was 50. plus they didn't charge any shipping. since the price has been adjusted. it's still for sure worth the price. especially for someone who wants to try the floorless approach

Dbaker,

It looks like a great shelter. I am at $40 just for the silnylon for my own shelter. I still would need buckles and webbing. So I am looking at $50. Not much of a savings if it costs more. How's the durability? Think it would withstand a windstorm?

OP
dbaker

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
Dbaker,

It looks like a great shelter. I am at $40 just for the silnylon for my own shelter. I still would need buckles and webbing. So I am looking at $50. Not much of a savings if it costs more. How's the durability? Think it would withstand a windstorm?

i haven't had it in the field yet but initial impression is that it would stand up fine. hopefully i'll get a chance to run it soon

edg1967

WKR
I still have a solid 2 feet + of snow throughout my whole yard so I've been unable to set it up outside yet, but did half-a** set it up on an old rug in my basement using safety pins so I could figure out where to put my TI-Goat stove jack. I decided on a front location on the left side (as you are looking at the tent from the front side) close to the pole. I had planned to put it in the back, but wanted the extra pipe length for heat and didn't know if I wanted to drag a bunch of wood through the tent over my bag, clothes, etc. The Stove Jack is now sewed in and the seam sealer is drying. I only have to cut out for my para-stove pipe and wait for the snow to melt...probably in about three months. MN winters suck!!!

I will post pics of it set up with the stove installed when I can.

edg1967

WKR
I did weigh it with the stove jack sewn in, stakes, guy lines, & stuff sack the tent came with. I also added an extension for my trekking poles that I cut out of an old aluminum trekking pole. The whole thing came in at 3 lbs. A little heavier than my Seek Outside Breakaway tarp with annex, but lighter than my Hilleberg Atko. Those both are one person shelters and I would most likely use this with a partner. I would be willing to sacrifice the extra weight of this over the Seek Outside as a solo for the extra space it provides for the one pound difference.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I just bought one of these last night. Waiting for it to come in. When it does I will get a full review on it going. To the initial poster. They say 52 inches for the Trekking Poles are you above that? Thats why it would be off the ground so much.

OP
dbaker

dbaker

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought one of these last night. Waiting for it to come in. When it does I will get a full review on it going. To the initial poster. They say 52 inches for the Trekking Poles are you above that? Thats why it would be off the ground so much.

i used the manufacturers length guide printed on the tarp and then confirmed with a measuring tape. it was set up to correct specs. after messing with it i don't think it sets to high. plus you could mess with it to adjust the pitch.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Got my Tarp in. I will set it up Sunday and give it a good review with Photos and such. Really excited about this thing. I expected the material to not be as good but it appears to be decent quality. The stuff sack it comes in can be compressed even more but I opted to keep it as is as it fits perfectly in the side pockets of my Timberline 2.

edg1967

WKR
I had a chance to set mine up outside today...finally a day off work without having to chase a two-year old around. I have sewn in a TI Goat stove jack into the door area and put my Para-Stove in just to see how it would seem for space. I think two people would be doable, but a bit snug. This would be a palace for one, but a little on the heavy side, I got 2.5 lbs with the stove jack, stakes and an extension for my trekking poles. If I was going with a partner and taking the stove, weight would be fine, but space would be tight. I keep debating whether or not to go with this and a TI Goat bivy or my Hilleberg Akto. I'm leaning a little more towards the Atko, but if I needed or wanted a stove, this would be a nice option. I think I'll probably sell my SO Breakaway tarp & Anex and use this instead when I want a tarp.

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 786
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 777
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 734
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 724

edg1967

WKR
did you happen to take any measurements or lay a pad in there?

No I didn't, but two pads would easily fit side by side in there with room to spare. I'm 6'1" and laid down in it and I had plenty of room...probably about two feet at my feet and four three feet at my head. The walls are fairly steep so my guess is that there is 30-35 square feet of good, usable space with the remainder of the shelter good for storage of packs, boots, etc. Taking the stove out would add a little better access for two. If I am using it on my own with the stove I will probably sleep with my head towards the door on the side opposite the stove.

Snyd

WKR
Why the trekking pole "extender". It the tent that tall or is your pole just too short? Nothing personal.... :D

edg1967

WKR
Why the trekking pole "extender". It the tent that tall or is your pole just too short? Nothing personal.... :D

Yea...you got me. My pole is a little on the short side. Never had any complaints until now, but I need just a few more inches. My Black Diamond CF poles measure 46" and the peak height on the front of this shelter is 54". I made an extender out of an old aluminum trekking pole so it is pretty light. I made it 14" in case I want to set this shelter up with a little more of a gap for air flow.